Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Savana
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
banana24
AF Newbie

5 balance weights?

I just had 4 new tires mounted. I noticed the installer had a heck of a time getting the old right rear off, it took a few solid wacks with a sledge to finally remove it. After getting home I checked out the tires and noticed on that particular wheel he ended up putting on 5 weights for balancing. The other tires(no removal problems)only had the usual 1 or 2. Question is, could the bashing on the old tire/rim have caused an out-of-round condition on the rim itself, or some other kind of damage inflicted requiring so many weights? Should I have the installer remove the tire and recheck the balance and/or rim? These tires were not cheap. On my ride home I did not notice any bad drivibility issues(vibration, wheel movement), but none the less, not only do the 5 weights cause me concern, they look like hell on the outside.

Thanks
banana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Re: 5 balance weights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana24
I just had 4 new tires mounted. I noticed the installer had a heck of a time getting the old right rear off, it took a few solid wacks with a sledge to finally remove it. After getting home I checked out the tires and noticed on that particular wheel he ended up putting on 5 weights for balancing. The other tires(no removal problems)only had the usual 1 or 2. Question is, could the bashing on the old tire/rim have caused an out-of-round condition on the rim itself, or some other kind of damage inflicted requiring so many weights? Should I have the installer remove the tire and recheck the balance and/or rim? These tires were not cheap. On my ride home I did not notice any bad drivibility issues(vibration, wheel movement), but none the less, not only do the 5 weights cause me concern, they look like hell on the outside.

Thanks
I would go back and get it checked out yesterday.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Savana