Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
lizard
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2003 Ram Hemi Electronic Throttle Control malfunction

I've had this problem for months. I have taken it to 3 different dealer service centers, and everytime they charge me to update the computer software. They still haven't fixed anything, and everytime I leave the dealer after "getting it fixed", within 25 miles the problem reoccurs.
According to my owner's manual the electronic throttle control malfunction warning light is only on the Hemi Rams.
The problem causes the truck to jerk, idle improperly, the engine loses power and shuts off at low speeds usually when turning, and sometimes when the truck accelerates after a complete stop, it hesitates causing the tires to screech when it finally builds up enough RPM to move, this last one has caused me several explanations to police officers on why I am "laying rubber" on their city streets, as if the Hemi emblem doesn't attract enough unwanted attention from the local highway law enforcement officers.
Does anybody have any info or has anyone experienced a similar problem. The dealer always refuses to replace any part, and since my $2,000.00 extended warranty doesn't cover the stuff they keep doing to it, I can't afford to keep taking my truck back to the dealer and shelling out the money for repairs, rental cars, etc. Help. thanks.
lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge
Re: 2003 Ram Hemi Electronic Throttle Control malfunction

Just let it build up enough RPM to move. You don't have to make the tires spin. Don't you know how to drive?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
lizard
AF Newbie

oh wow, thanks for your help, i never thought of that.

Perhaps I didn't explain my problem well enough, when the problem occurs, it often prevents the truck from moving at all, and all i can do is push on the accelerator until it does move. Many times this does cause the tires to squeal and spin. I dont think my driving has anything to do with causing it, its part of the malfunction I'm trying to get fixed.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Were you holding the brake down with the other foot while you were doing this? I can't understand this.

If you're only pushing on the accelerator enough to make the truck move, then the tires shouldn't spin. Sounds like someone chained your truck to a post or something, I just can't picture this. I've never heard of it before.

Someone else might be able to help you with this...
Old 06-17-2004, 12:05 AM   #5
lizard
AF Newbie

that is almost exactly how it seems. Sounds strange, but that isn't even the biggest part of the problem, its one of the effects, i was just using it as an example of the several problems caused by this throttle light thing.
And, as far as the brake thing, no i'm not doing that.
It's an automatic transmission, but there are times when it would be similar to putting a manual transmission in gear, revving it up, and then letting off the clutch. That isn't what i'm doing, since its an automatic, but i'm using it as an example of the way the truck is working or acting.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:13 AM   #6
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like it's slipping lots and then suddenly engaging or something. I don't know what to tell you...

How's the fluid level? I hope you're using ATF+3...
Old 06-17-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Lizard,
I've got nothing on the malfunction light, but the problem could be related to the speed sensors, have a dealer check them.

Aside from that.... it's puzzling and almost sounds like you're joking...

Slantsixness
Old 06-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #8
lizard
AF Newbie

No, its not a joke, its at the dealer again, i dropped it off again today, 4th time. They see the warning light flashing, they just admit they can't remember ever seeing this problem before on a Ram. I'm not sure what ATF 3 is, I'm not a mechanic, thats why I get the extended warranties.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #9
dirty dan
AF Regular

ATF3 is transmission fluid. I don't think he read your original post too well. I gather that you're getting a code (light) on your electronic throttle. OBDII diagnostics are normally pretty good tools to pin-point the problem. Could be the dealers are trying to patch what could cost him $$$ under the warranty.
I would gather up my receipts and call Dodge home office and see what gives.
I just bought a new Ram Quadcab w/the Hemi. I love the engine and the pep, but the electronic throttle just doesn't feel like I think it should. I haven't had problems near like you describe, but every once in a while when I get it a little gas, it feels like it's waiting on the computer to give it the go ahead before it throttles up the engine. Maybe just a second or two. I'm not impressed with the set-up.
Be sure and let us know what you find 'cause I'm sure a lot more of us are going to run into the same problem in the next few years.
dirty dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 01:00 AM   #10
lizard
AF Newbie

I took it back yesterday, and they checked it out again, and now they claimed they fixed it by cleaning the throttle body, if that makes any sense. I had to drive from Oklahoma City to Dallas after I picked it up, and the problem didn't reoccur, which is the farthest distance I've driven it in half a year without the problem happening. So I figure if it doesn't show up by the time I get back to Oklahoma, then I will have some confidence in that they fixed it. Thanks for you help everybody. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #11
butchhunnicutt
AF Newbie

2003 Dodge Hemi engine malfunction

I Bought 2003 Ram 1500 New With Hemi Engine Last September. Shortly Thereafter On The Freeway It Started To Slow Down Even Though If You Accelerated The Rpm 's Go Up But No Speed. This Has Happened Numerous Times Since, But The Dealership Cannot Cure The Problem. Anyone Out There Having A Similar Problem? I Can Turn Off My Engine Or Put It In Park And It Returns To Normal. I Like The Handling And Performance Of The Truck, But A New Pickup Should Not Behave Like This And Who Knows What It Could Lead To.
butchhunnicutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:10 PM   #12
ernieivy
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 2003 Ram Hemi Electronic Throttle Control malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard
that is almost exactly how it seems. Sounds strange, but that isn't even the biggest part of the problem, its one of the effects, i was just using it as an example of the several problems caused by this throttle light thing.
And, as far as the brake thing, no i'm not doing that.
It's an automatic transmission, but there are times when it would be similar to putting a manual transmission in gear, revving it up, and then letting off the clutch. That isn't what i'm doing, since its an automatic, but i'm using it as an example of the way the truck is working or acting.
I have a new 2004 Dodge Ram with a Hemi. I am having the same problems, truck shuts down unexpectantly at lower speeds. When this happened to me, I was in traffic on a two lane road which was very crooked. The truck shut off without warning causing me to loose all power immediately. I had to steer quickly to the left to avoid a ditch. I shifted into neutral and started the truck (all the time with traffic behind me), put it into gear and accelerated. The truck did not accelerate very fast and was very hesistant. The Electronic Throttle Control light was on and then went off. I took it to a local dealer for service. The next day when I picked up the truck, they said the only code that they could get from the computer was one that showed I was driving with my foot on the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time. Of course, I do not drive like this and even if I did, this would not have shut the truck off as if I had turned the key off. I am in the process of taking it to the dealer that I bought if off of to see if they can figure it out.
ernieivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:10 PM   #13
butterfingers
AF Newbie

I know a guy that just bought a Ram 1500 with the new hemi in it. On a cold morning his truck would not go above 35 and wouldnt make rpm. So he turned around to head 180 miles to the dealer and on his way down the hill it came out of it and layed a patch. The abs light and another light will also come on and when you start it the sppedo will go up and down between 0 and 20 while its ideling. He had it to the dealer recently because it quit on him much like the problems you guys are having and after they "fixed it" it quit on the way home. Dont know if that helps but theres someone else with the same problems.
butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #14
ag4l
AF Newbie

Same problem here..

Im having the same problem as "Lizard"..
I've had my dodge to the shop 4 times in the past 2 months and
the symtoms that he describes is correct 100%. I could not have
made it any plainer. The dealership last told me that it was a
MASS Air Flow sensor ..They replaced it on Fri. and Sat afternoon the
check engine light and the ligtening bolt warning light was flashing
AGAIN>>.. So back to the shop on Monday morning. Will let you know
what happens this time.. The owners manual says the lightening bolt
warning light is the Electronic Throttle Control but the codes do not
show this.. I"ve put 160.00 so far and it still not fixed..
"Lizard let me know if cleaning the throttle body has fixed your problem.
I'm courious if that has worked.. If so I'll recommed it to the dodge
dealership here..
ag4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #15
ECTON6767
AF Newbie

Hey My 04 Ram Does Almost The Same Thing But It Shuts Off At High Speed 50-60 And The Etc Light Comes On. And When I Give It The Gas It Comes Back To Life.and The Light Goes Out.
ECTON6767 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10