Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
fritcr
AF Regular

96 Nissan Altima 2.4 with leaking intake gasket?

My daughter has a 96 Altima and it has been really vibrating at an idle. I have done a bunch of searches and I had noticed a vacuum sound under the hood at the intake side of the engine. I have looked and looked and could not find where it was coming from. I had sprayed carb cleaner all over and nothing.
Finally yesterday I was out of carb cleaner so I decided to spray the crap out of everything with brake cleaner. If I spray brake cleaner between the intake and the throttle plate and sort of UP...(this is hard to do) then the idle changes A LOT...in fact it will almost die. Would this be the intake gasket? Most of what I read it said the idle would go UP? But with the brake clean instead of carb cleaner is that why it trys to die?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think it is the intake gasket. If so...is there a write up or any advice anywhere on changing this. I'm very handy and have lots of tool and access to a lift also. I just don't know how much has to come apart to get that sucker in there and replaced. Sorry for all of the questions but I need to get it fixed. No codes by the way but it idles rough and the whole car vibrates.
Rob
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima