Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #76
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Re: McLaren F1-GTR short tail by MFH

Superb work, looks great..!!
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #77
lezdep
AF Regular

While build is mostly blocked on a task of getting vacuum formed windows ready, I continued putting together small parts.
Put PE nets onto side covers, installed fuel caps. Assembled and put in place rear lights and front lights. Also attached front turn lights.
More small assemblies to do.

lezdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #78
Shunter
AF Enthusiast

Looking very very nice..

http://motorsportmodeller.blogspot.com.au/
Shunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #79
lezdep
AF Regular

Finally was able to return to this build last week. I have applied window trim decals some time ago, but
only got to apply clear coat over them last weekend. I've also started assembly of the doors. After a bit
of a soul searching, I've decided to not spend any more time on CF decals and used door inserts as is
in plain SG black. Same applied to remaining engine intake parts. Assembled them as there were with
no CF last night. It is probably my own fault, but window trim decals did not fit perfectly and some white
body paint would be visible, if I installed them as is. So, I had to paint trim black on body and door parts
as well. Last I was able to attach rear side panels. I guess I've done something wrong, but there are significant
gaps around rear engine door. It appears to be not wide enough. I'm going to try to flatten it a bit, to make it
wider.

Here is where this build at now.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #80
lezdep
AF Regular

Continued with this build. Installed all windows, beside front wind shield. Also installed head lamp covers.
Then worked on rivets and fasteners. As well as on door support struts and mirrors. I have used Gunze H30 acrylic
clear on windows and it was a mistake. That clear coat melts under finger's heat and there is a lot of blemishes
on windows by now. I'm considering putting on more clear coats. But this time I would likely have to do it with
brush. Not sure yet. Right side head lamp cover didn't go on well and I've made a bit of a mess. It often
happens to me on later assembly stages. Still working on improving my glue application techniques.
Current plan is to attach front radiators and splitter next. Then I will have to attach doors, engine cover and top of the roof.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #81
lezdep
AF Regular

Continued work on this model. Mostly small things. Installed PE nets in front hood. Worked on fit of doors and
had to do quite a bit of paint touch ups. They fit better now, but still far from perfect. Attached radiators. Realized that
there isn't enough CF on PE splitter to cover visible areas. Have to add more CF to it. Another part I have to fix is
rear engine door. I've made quite a mess of it, trying to fix paint and clear on it. Detached windows and stripped glue
and black paint. It's masked for re-paint of black areas by now. Windows are also stripped of paint and decals. Will
have to re-do them. This is going to set this build back some extra weeks, but I could not live with how it looked after
all bad touch ups.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:21 AM   #82
gtziaf
AF Enthusiast

Never mind, my friend...
It will be a stunner for sure, when you finish it.

Visit our Greek Modelling Forum :
http://scalewheels-gr.com/
gtziaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #83
JoeAngelicchio
AF Newbie

Amazing!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #84
lezdep
AF Regular

Finally have something to show. I've completed engine door Friday night. Far from perfect,
but I just couldn't make myself to spend more time on it. If there is ever 1/12 kit and I would
be building it, I will do better job (promise to myself). This unblocked me to advance with further
assembly though. Attached engine door and side doors. Then fixed middle part of the roof in place.
Drilled holes and made side compartment covers attachable.

Resin doors are actually a big problem in this kit. I know some feel metal doors are too heavy
and unnecessary. But metal doors would allow some adjustability to help fit them well in their
place. Resin doors provide no way to adjust them. And kit doors do not conform to the shape
of chassis well. So fit of the doors in my model is pretty poor and there nothing I could do about
it now.

Last 2 photos are still a mock up of how panels attach at present.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #85
lezdep
AF Regular

After long hiatus this model is back on my modeling table. I kind of lose motivation when model is close to 90-95% completion.
There is local car model contest coming up at the end of September and it always gives me extra motivation to finish my 90%
completed builds. Not much left on this model. Attached front wind shield last night. Then worked on rear wing. It's all assembled
in its place permanently. I have applied tire decals last week as well. Just need to clear coat over decals. The only remaining pieces will
be PE items for rear panel of the car and antenna. Even wind shield wiper is ready to be installed. I'll keep it for last step. Here
are some photos. No mock ups any more, everything is permanently attached and in its place.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #86
gtziaf
AF Enthusiast

Nice my friend. Wonderful result!

Visit our Greek Modelling Forum :
http://scalewheels-gr.com/
gtziaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #87
lezdep
AF Regular

I have finished work on tires and finally attached wheels. Ground clearance is quite a bit high at the front.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can correct it at this stage. Over all fit is not so great. Not sure where it is because
of my mistakes and where there are kit's shortcomings. It also does not seat 100% on all 4 wheels. Must be
my fault. Front right is a little bit handing in the air, until I push model down at front. Finished work on it and
attached rear grill. Very few items left to complete - decals over rear emblems, door knobs, front shield wiper
and antenna. Over all not very pleased with final result. Wanted to have it done much cleaner. Well, there is
always another model to build better.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:42 AM   #88
Niro750
AF Regular

It still looks amazing mate, congratulations!
Niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #89
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Incredible build!!!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #90
lezdep
AF Regular

Model is completed, as far as I'm concerned. Here is link to thread in "Completed Projects" section -
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1144022

Last edited by lezdep; 09-26-2015 at 10:29 PM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports