Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
disneybmw
AF Newbie

1958 Drivetrain/Tranny/Driveshaft?

I have owned a 1958 Chevy Belair about 2 months. 350/400 Turbo TB Fuel Inj. I stepped into it real hard (yeah, I know) and this horrible sound came from under driver side. Long story shorter -took it in, was told tranny mount, $$$ it actually was, I saw the broken one. This solved the thumping from underneath but the car still has a horrible crunching/grinding like sound with loss of torque upon acceleration, from what seems like right from under driver’s seat. Engines runs strong/tranny shifts good. I have been all over and NO ONE has a clue or has offered the stupidest suggestions. Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58Grill.jpg (292.9 KB, 3 views)
disneybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1958 Drivetrain/Tranny/Driveshaft?

No way to give meaningful advice from here, someone has to drive this, get it up on a lift, to offer a diagnosis. Maybe the exhaust pipe is grounding to the floor?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
disneybmw
AF Newbie

Well I see you have 10 billion posts but you kinda shut down my thread by saying "no way", as I diagnose any advice would have been helpful..no it is not the exhaust but thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

You broke the tranny and the motor mounts are shot. How do I know this?? I have this amazing crystal ball that allows me to see and hear things from afar. It's never been wrong. Good luck to you.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
disneybmw
AF Newbie

boy ya'lls some snarky folks-actually thx for the motor mount suggestion-it's a good one-I thought about it but moved on maybe to fast. Anyways, I am not usually so combative... I live in CA and someone got into my bank account and spent $1006.00 at a Walmart in Arkansas, new way of American Life i suppose,

Peace

Bill W.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Welcome aboard.

I can understand the frustration for being hacked. It will only become the new way of American life if we allow it to take over. We'd all love to help you out with that one, but that's another issue for other authorities.

These others are simply trying to offer honest advice. Many have been around doing this for a long time, and are accustomed to the routine of getting all the relevant facts before offering an offhand diagnosis. It's never any fun to give advise which might cost someone time and/or money for barking up the wrong tree.

There are a lot of possibilities, from mounts, drivehshft interference, exhaust interference, A damaged trans, rear axle moving under torque, and many other possibilities.

Does the car still have the original X-frame? That can make for some interesting places for things to rub under load, including the midship bearing and mount.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
disneybmw
AF Newbie

Thank you kindly, yes X frame-- I think 64 was last year on the Impala. I realize people have been around a long time w/ a lot of experience. That is why I am here...new to the forum..however not new to classics and muscle cars, have had many (should have kept some but we all have that story I am sure) ..yes been on the rack-I personally have checked drive shaft u joints-on and on-I am better w/ cars from 67 on, seems to me it would be easier to diagnose older but I am not finding that to be true- ALSO I am hoping to contribute when I can as well..I will follow up after this get figured out-and I will get this figured out.

Peace
Old 01-08-2021, 06:28 AM   #8
pitts64
AF Newbie

Did you check out the center link of the drive shaft. These cars have a two piece drive shaft. I think they make single shaft for the 58-64 Chevrolet..

I think the 58-64 Chevrolet was the best looking car ever made..
pitts64 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics