Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
arpster
AF Newbie

2000 Venture window regulator replacement.

If you want to bypass my ranting and ravings, skip down to step one. Not on this site or on any other could I find details that accurately described or showed how to replace the regulator in my van (including the instructions that came with the new unit). However, I found plenty of posts telling me to use silicone lubricant on the felt window tracks, and although that helped the window move up and down, it did not and will not fix a bent arm on a regulator. The lubricant is a great preventative maintenance procedure that very possibly could help ensure that the regulator does not become bent, but not a solution to the problem once it has happened. Well, I tackled the problem, without good direction, figured it out, and hope to help someone else looking for a solution, to which there seems to be no shortage. I am “NOT” a mechanic so copy my actions at your own risk.
1. Remove the switch plate from the door panel by prying it up gently with a small flat screwdriver and, once loose, remove the electrical plugs. Then, while holding the door opening lever in the “opening” position, remove the plastic insert behind the lever in the same manner.
2. Remove the two bolts holding the door panel. One is underneath the switch plate and the other is below and to the aft of the door pull handle.
3. Remove the door panel by prying it away from the door. Rest assured that you will break or strip some of the clips, but about a half-dozen new ones came with the new regulator I bought from Autozone.
4. Remove the plastic water guard to access the interior of the door.
5. Raise or lower the window so that you can see and access the front end of the channel that the glass is attached to. It is in this channel that the plastic guides of the regulator slide while raising or lowering the window. At the front end of the channel you may notice that the channel is crimped or pinched to keep the channel from sliding off the guides. If so, you will need to open it to allow the guides to pass during removal and installation but be as delicate as possible so that the glass is not damaged in the process.
6. Raise the window to the full up position and tape it up to the top of the doorframe to hold it while the regulator is removed and then remove the connector from the window motor.
7. The coil spring now needs to be removed. Supposedly there is a special tool for this but I was able to get it off using strong needle-nosed pliers to unhook the outer coil and then I slowly allowed it to unwind, (about a half-turn for mine). Be very careful, the spring is quite strong.
8. Now remove the motor by gently flexing the three plastic retaining tabs away from the motor just enough for the motor to become free.
9. Using a small pry-bar or large standard (flat) screwdriver, turn the spring stud, (where the center coil of the spring was attached), ¼ turn. (Mine was a driver-side door and the stud turned counterclockwise. I’m not sure if the passenger side is the same or different, I haven’t had that panel off.) The stud should now pull out which will release the regulator on the backside.
10. Slide the two guides of the regulator out of the window channel and the ball guide from the small channel and remove the regulator from the door. There may be a spacer that is between the two guides on the window channel, and if so, remove it and re-use it with the new regulator.
11. Install the new regulator using these directions in the reverse order.
12. Good luck and I really hope this helps!
arpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
OnThePike

Re: 2000 Venture window regulator replacement.

Thank you for this detailed post. My 2003 Venture came with manual crank windows, but this post is also useful for those looking to replace the factory door speakers or for any other reason you might need to remove the interior door trim panels.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
ASEVenture
AF Newbie

The only thing I might add is that the entire assembly, which they call the super plug, is easily removable so that it can be repaired on a bench or table. The door requires 14 retainer clips and can be purchased from any local NAPA store. The part number for the clips is 665-1431. They come 10 to a bag so you will need 2 bags. The regulator number is 665-3594 for the drivers side. I strongly suggest to use the silicone spray and try to lube the strips before buying the part if your regulator arms are not bent. You may have to apply the lube several times to let it soak in. I bought the regulator and then tried the lube before i replaced it only to find out i didn't need the regulator at all. I changed it anyway since I already had the door apart. Good luck...
ASEVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
lesterl
AF Regular

X2 on the silicone, wurked for me...... I hosed the hell outta the tracks.......
lesterl is offline   Reply With Quote