Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
grouseman
AF Newbie

Subaru Outback Brakes are Noisy

Hi Folks. My 2012 Outback sat outside unused for three weeks. Now the brakes are making a lot of noise, especially the rear driver's side. I tried blowing them with compressed air but no luck. On the rear driver's side disk I noticed a fairly narrow wear pattern. I wonder if some rust is in there. I also have applied the brakes really hard but no luck.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Grouseman
grouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Subaru Outback Brakes are Noisy

Looks like your caliper is seized. Remove it and verify that both pads are almost identically worn. Lubricate the slide pin.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
grouseman
AF Newbie

Thanks. I removed the pads and one of them is worn to the steel. The other is OK. I'm going to replace them both but what would cause one side to wear so much more than the other??? Is it the slide pin? I did check them and they are sliding.

Does anyone know the rotor retirement thickness?

Thanks, Grouseman
Old 09-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouseman View Post
Thanks. I removed the pads and one of them is worn to the steel. The other is OK. I'm going to replace them both but what would cause one side to wear so much more than the other??? Is it the slide pin? I did check them and they are sliding.

Does anyone know the rotor retirement thickness?

Thanks, Grouseman
Lubricate the pins with the silicone grease or similar. Assemble the brake caliper and make sure there is no binding and it slides smoothly. I hope that will work.

Good luck,
Sam

Old 09-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
grouseman
AF Newbie

OK, so I had all the rear pads and rotors replaced and every thing is good. As per my previous note, the outboard pad was worn to steel and the inboard pad had very little left. The technician offered that maybe with the car sitting for three weeks the outboard pad rust adhered to the rotor and the little bit that was remaining simply sheared off. He said both rear rotors needed replacing. Is this just a ploy to sell more parts and service?? The technician said that there is very little difference between the supplied thickness and the minimum retirement thickness of the rotor. He didn't even caliper check the thickness!! Does that sound right?? If you replace the pads before they scour up the rotor, should this save replacing the rotor?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
somick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouseman View Post
OK, so I had all the rear pads and rotors replaced and every thing is good. As per my previous note, the outboard pad was worn to steel and the inboard pad had very little left. The technician offered that maybe with the car sitting for three weeks the outboard pad rust adhered to the rotor and the little bit that was remaining simply sheared off. He said both rear rotors needed replacing. Is this just a ploy to sell more parts and service?? The technician said that there is very little difference between the supplied thickness and the minimum retirement thickness of the rotor. He didn't even caliper check the thickness!! Does that sound right?? If you replace the pads before they scour up the rotor, should this save replacing the rotor?
Some mechanics prefer to install new rotors with every pads replacements. That probably gives them more work that translates to more money. I do not know.

I replace rotors only when needed. In other words - when the thickness of a rotor go way below the posted number.

Good luck on your new brakes, Sam

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion