Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

Post The Driver's Seat: Summer Driving Competence Check

Photo Source: HSPN News

The Driver's Seat:
Summer Driving Competence Check
No one wants to be “that driver” this summer. The good news? If you are, we can help.

Jonathan Swigart - AutomotiveForums.com
Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Summer driving season is nearly here.

For many of you, the weeks or months leading up to the beginning of summer has included tedious planning, very likely centered around when to pull those winter wheels off the cruiser, when to get the “fun” car out of storage or what your car is going to be like with some new – but mostly untested – parts additions.

In the same regard, many of you will likely adhere to the same rules and courtesy that comes with summer driving that you have for the last several years, showing other drivers the kind of respect that you would like to see while out and about with friends, family or by yourself.

However, there are those among us who don’t quite understand what courtesy while driving is, or how to extend it to other drivers. You know the people I’m talking about – drivers who spend their summers engaged in general douch-baggery whenever they sit behind the wheel of a car.

So, if you’re one of those people, I’ve compiled a list of Do’s and Don’ts for you to consider this summer driving season (by the way, if you’re not sure whether or not you’re one of “those” people, then you probably are. Sorry.):

DO enjoy the weather with your windows down and the radio on:
I’m a big proponent for driving with the windows down and listening to some good music while the wind blows through your car as you head to wherever it is you’re going. There’s just something satisfying and carefree about a good song and the breeze against your face that is hard to replicate any other way. However…

DON’T pump your crappy music as loud as you can with the windows down:
…Just be sure not to over-indulge yourself by blasting whatever it is you’re listening to loud enough to piss people off in the next county. I say this as a half-plea as well, because I’ll inevitably end up right next to you as you blare a rap song where the “artist” keeps alternating between an auto-tune of his own name and “ugh” to the same recycled beat as that other guy who is probably in jail. At the world’s longest red light.

DO indulge in a little open-throttle action:
I want to preface this with the fact that I don’t advocate unsafe driving. Nor do believe you should ever be reckless behind the wheel of a car. But sometimes you’ve got to let the horses under the hood out for a nice run. Maybe that means heading down your favorite, winding country road. It might also mean cruising through town and enjoying the sparsely-populated (and presumably police-free) roads in your area. Whatever the case, sometimes getting a case of lead-foot is a good cure for your need for speed (it’s also good for unwinding). Just be cognizant of where you are when you do it and know your – and your car’s – limit. I’m not suggesting you should go speeding through a residential area or heavy traffic. What I’m saying is, if the road is open and you’re the only car out there, get on the gas and smile.

DON’T play Speed-Racer in traffic:
We’ve all seen this guy. Usually driving something that has more stickers than a birthday party gift bag and aftermarket parts he bought from some guy’s trunk behind a gas station. He proceeds to drive his automatic-transmission turd (probably a gold Pontiac Sunfire with red body graphics) as hard as he can in second gear so everyone can hear his motor and transmission wincing in pain as he passes them as fast as his pile will allow. He tailgates you as close as he can without actually hitting you and then cuts you off while attempting what he thinks is a nifty go-between move that completely disrupts traffic. My only hope for drivers like this is that they wrap their cars around a light pole in the country that leaves them with a few cuts and the lasting reminder that they are fools. Don’t be that guy.

DO take your dog with you on your driving adventure:
I’m all about people enjoying the company of their pets, especially the dog owners out there. Whenever I see a big dog with his head out the window from the passenger side, it usually has a look of serenity on its face as the wind blows its cheeks open like little parachutes. Our dogs enjoy car rides just as much as we do, for some of the same reasons as well.

DON’T let your dog sit on your lap while you drive:
I don’t like singling people out, but ladies, you’re guiltier of this than the guys are, and frankly, it needs to stop. You’re not Paris Hilton – when you weave in and out of traffic because your pocket-sized pooch is messing up your driving ability, it’s not something you can just buy your way out of when you eventually sideswipe me because Cuddles peed in your lap.

DO enjoy a relaxing cruise through town:
The epitome of the word “cruising” in the summertime is to drive wherever the road takes you without being in a hurry to get where you don’t need to be. From the oldest car enthusiast to the newest driver, going for a summer cruise is one of the most enjoyed activities behind the wheel. You have the freedom of going anywhere you want or nowhere at all. Some of the best driving experiences I’ve had have been by just driving. No destination. No time concern. Just drive.

DON’T drive as slow as humanly possible:
The only downside to the summer cruising is when you find individuals who take the premise to the extreme. I’ve personally lost count of the times when I’ve been stuck behind someone who has been going at least 10 miles per hour under the posted speed limit. This is a pretty minor offense, however, as most of the time you can simply go around the person (although getting behind them on a one-lane highway can prove irritating) and be on your merry way. However, for those of you who seem to lose your sign-reading ability when it comes to going out for a drive, please try to go at least the minimum speed. The rest of us on the road will thank you for it.

Whatever kind of driving you engage in this summer – whether it’s open-road cruising or hitting the track – the most important thing is that you enjoy yourself and do it safely. The whole point of summer driving (at least for me) is to enjoy the experience.

After all, if you can’t enjoy it, what’s the point?

-------------------------------

Jonathan Swigart is an award-winning journalist and has been around the automotive world his entire life. "The Driver's Seat" will explore some of the basic aspects of driving that drivers often overlook, among other topics related to driving and the auto industry. He lives in Champaign, Illinois with his wife and son and works at the University of Illinois.

You can reach Jonathan by emailing newsdesk@automotiveforums.com

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
amy@af
Traffic Directing Admin

Send a message via Skype™ to amy@af
Re: The Driver's Seat: Summer Driving Competence Check

well you just took all the fun out of my summer!

..don't make me send Setanta over in his Waambulance to give you an aloe tissue for your sensitive nose!

*~ ~> USeR GUiDELiNeS*<~ ~*

I <3 the G Ride ~*~ I <3 OLD SKooL
amy@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
blazee
Problem?

Re: The Driver's Seat: Summer Driving Competence Check

I prefer driving as slow as humanly possible through the police lot with the windows down and playing the song below as loud as I can, then playing speed racer with the cops through town.

blazee is offline   Reply With Quote