Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > SRT4
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:30 PM   #91
ViscousCircles
AF Newbie

Re: Why does the SRT-4 cost so cheap?

Dont worry he is blind to the fact he drives around a 225hp economy car too
Old 07-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #92
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Re: Re: Why does the SRT-4 cost so cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscousCircles
Dont worry he is blind to the fact he drives around a 225hp economy car too
Little history lesson:

Neon - designed as a base model commuter car to turn a profit for Dodge in the mass market by being cheap. Fast forward to now and they stick new rubber, a bigger sway bar, and a really nice engine in it. It's still a tin can chassis with nothing else significant to it. I challenge you to take a base model Neon and point out a spot Dodge could have done something differently and saved some money, bet you can't.

Impreza - Subaru used to rally with the Legacy. When they decided they needed a better platform to rally with, they designed the Impreza from the ground up to fit that purpose. "Detuned" versions were then mass produced to homologate the chassis. Even the most stripped out FWD base model 93 Imprezas still have all the chassis bracing and all the things Subaru could have dropped to make a cheaper car with a bigger profit margin, but they chose to make a better product instead. 11 years of further platform development in the most demanding type of motorsport on the planet. Might I add it's also the form of motorsport that most closely resembles real world conditions.

Is the Impreza an economy car? Yeah... but it's in another league from the SRT4.

Oh, did I mention all modern Subarus are AWD, which was really my main point to begin with. 500 hp and FWD is not a good recipe for performance. 300 is really pushing it for a FWD platform, even with LSD.

LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #93
ViscousCircles
AF Newbie

wow man you really have a hard-on for you impreza eh? Well what is so significant about a base model impreza that you have to shit all over a base model neon? Nothing really....I have a lot of respect for all cars, but seriously man you come off as an asshole.

Im trying to say that imprezas suck at all, in fact i love em. I'll take two sti's please Just keep in mind that the srt-4 is on to something and yes the reason it IS so cheap is because of the wrong wheel drive...that tin can BS aint gonna fly. look up the one lap of america..an srt took first in its class, as well as mopar's drag team. And well here is some info on mopar's rally team since you say its soo demanding even a tin can neon can't handle it.....
im not trying to come off as an ass but rather trying to give repect where its due.
Quote:
The Mopar/Dodge SRT-4 Pro Rally Car made it 5 for 5 in the 2004 season, winning the Group 5 Class at the Pikes Peak Pro Rally. Thousands of spectators peppered the mountain to watch Mopar/Dodge’s three-car effort of Doug Shepherd/Pete Gladysz and Paul Choiniere/Cindy Krolikowski in Mopar Stage 3 SRT-4s and Chris Whiteman/Mike Paulin in a Stage 2-powered SRT-4. Intended as a five-stage event with two complete passes to the top of Pike’s Peak, the race was thwarted by three inches of hail on the course toward the top of the mountain, causing the cancellation of the last stage of the race. The SRT-4 driven by Paul Choiniere/Cindy Krolikowski finished fourth overall and first in Group 5 in the Rally segment by 0.7 seconds over Doug Shepherd/Pete Gladysz who finished fifth overall. Doug Shepherd won the Hill Climb segment by 2.0 seconds over Paul Choiniere in the Group 5 Class. Chris Whiteman's SRT-4 finished fourth in Group 5 and 14th overall in the rally. Four-wheel-drive vehicles by Mitsubishi, Subaru and Hyundai finished first, second and third in the rally and hillclimb. Mopar/Dodge and the team of Doug Shepherd and Pete Gladysz now own the Rally Group 5 Pikes Peak Hillclimb record of 12.55 minutes for the 156 corner adventure to the top with an average speed of 59.37 m.p.h. Paul Choiniere won the second stage of the event overall with an average speed of 78 m.p.h. run on the asphalt access road and 3 miles of the hillclimb road, which was run at night over moist conditions intermixed with fog.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:36 PM   #94
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Re: Re: Why does the SRT-4 cost so cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscousCircles
wow man you really have a hard-on for you impreza eh? Well what is so significant about a base model impreza that you have to shit all over a base model neon? Nothing really....I have a lot of respect for all cars, but seriously man you come off as an asshole.

Im trying to say that imprezas suck at all, in fact i love em. I'll take two sti's please Just keep in mind that the srt-4 is on to something and yes the reason it IS so cheap is because of the wrong wheel drive...that tin can BS aint gonna fly. look up the one lap of america..an srt took first in its class, as well as mopar's drag team. And well here is some info on mopar's rally team since you say its soo demanding even a tin can neon can't handle it.....
im not trying to come off as an ass but rather trying to give repect where its due.
Quote:
While I agree the WRX is a better car all around, the SRT4 is a good car as well and deserves respect for what it is.
I said that yesterday, or the day before or maybe early today or something like that. Anyways, I never said it was a bad car. I just don't think it's the best car in it's price range, for the reasons I stated. For people impressed by drag or dyno queens, I'm sure it's great. And from my experience, most SRT4 owners are really cocky about their cars, so I tend to come out with both barrels blazing. I actually have a coupld of SRT4 owning friends in real life.
LjasonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #95
ViscousCircles
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Why does the SRT-4 cost so cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldelaysionl
I said that yesterday, or the day before or maybe early today or something like that. Anyways, I never said it was a bad car. I just don't think it's the best car in it's price range, for the reasons I stated. For people impressed by drag or dyno queens, I'm sure it's great. And from my experience, most SRT4 owners are really cocky about their cars, so I tend to come out with both barrels blazing. I actually have a coupld of SRT4 owning friends in real life.
I hear you you about some owners being cocky....It just puts a bad name on us other owners. oh well what can you do. There are some in every crowd. Given the SRTs price range i bet there are a bit more in ours
ViscousCircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:31 AM   #96
209 neon
AF Enthusiast

whats up with turbo cars these days seems to me that everyone wants to put their paws on a turbo 4cly what happend to intake and moble 1.......jeeezzzz......forget you turbo heads......lol

ICEMAN COLD AIR INTAKE
HEDDMAN HEADERS
CATCO HI FLOW CAT W/STOCK 2.25 PIPING
TTI RACE PULLEY
APEXI N1 EXHAUST
MSD COIL
MAGNACORE WIRES
ENERGY SUSPENSION MOTOR MOUNT INSERTS
NO POWER STEERING UNIT/ NO A/C UNIT

"RACE ME IF YOU WILL BUT REMEMBER IN THE END ITS STILL JUST A NEON"
209 neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #97
slipnuts411
AF Newbie

all u guys who talk so much shit. Why don't ya step into a srt-4 and see for urself that the car is truly magnificent!!! the reason the car is so cheap is because dodge knows how 2 fucken sell. Hasn't it ever occured to you the mitsubishi and subauru are robbing you idiots. I mean, look the the chager, the msrp is only about 15k, and even celeberity's have that car with dubs & all that shit. & what's all this talk the srt will not last 100k, yeah// Once my car goes over that 100k, i'm gonna make eat ur fucken words
slipnuts411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 AM   #98
sheetmagnet
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sheetmagnet

Maybe we can post with a little more information to prove points, instead of all the hostility... ya think?

And as far as the SRT4 not lasting 100k... I don't own one, but I know for a fact that Mopar built that specific engine (especially the valvetrain and the bottom end) to be able to withstand over 3 times what it actually produces as far as power. In fact, the motor is built for strength, the tranny is proven, the equal-length CV-shafts are built, etc etc... none of the SRT4 drivetrain is the same as a normal Neon. If I had to take reliability, I honestly think a stock SRT4 might just hold up better than a normal Neon, and WELL PAST 100k.
sheetmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #99
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Send a message via AIM to das2123 Send a message via Yahoo to das2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipnuts411
all u guys who talk so much shit. Why don't ya step into a srt-4 and see for urself that the car is truly magnificent!!! the reason the car is so cheap is because dodge knows how 2 fucken sell. Hasn't it ever occured to you the mitsubishi and subauru are robbing you idiots. I mean, look the the chager, the msrp is only about 15k, and even celeberity's have that car with dubs & all that shit. & what's all this talk the srt will not last 100k, yeah// Once my car goes over that 100k, i'm gonna make eat ur fucken words
Why did you post in a thread that was almost 2 years old? Most of the original posters aren't even on here anymore.
das2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #100
sheetmagnet
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das2123
Why did you post in a thread that was almost 2 years old? Most of the original posters aren't even on here anymore.
Maybe the only way he can win an argument is if no one is around he he j/k.
sheetmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:19 AM   #101
maykelcj
AF Regular

I'll say I own a 95 neon for more than five years now. I love it and I''ll never sell. after 2 rebuilts 1st one was a dodge fault 2nd one mine, I think if you want a inexpensive car to mod, the neon is the answer. on the other hand if you like real performance the subaru is the way to go. I only dream to get my hands in a SRT4 because I fell in love with my neon, but I tend to agree with LjasonL on most of what he is posting. neons are economic cars and even tho we love them, they are not close to the performance of an STI or so.
400hp to a FWD=nice drag car.
400hp on a FWD track car= beter get the best suspenssion out there and fine tune it!!!!!!
400hp on a street FWD=suicidal!!!

-I make a sad face and think about all wrecked SRT-4 neons showing on ebay every week-
Old 04-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #102
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykelcj
neons are economic cars and even tho we love them, they are not close to the performance of an STI or so.
What did you say ...
http://www.integycorp.com/greg/dom/neondyno.wmv

And I know another guy who just pushed 599HP and 473 lbs of torque out of his first gen neon...
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246626

All you need is some know how and boost!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 AM   #103
maykelcj
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das2123
What did you say ...
http://www.integycorp.com/greg/dom/neondyno.wmv

And I know another guy who just pushed 599HP and 473 lbs of torque out of his first gen neon...
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246626

All you need is some know how and boost!!!
power is not all there is about performance.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:09 AM   #104
sheetmagnet
AF Regular

Quote:
Ha ha ha. Yeah, you're right... it comes down to the driver too. But, anyone that would post what you just said without an explanation, show's immaturity and jealousy.

I out-drove a Mustang GT one night in a 4-cyl Probe because I was getting SHOT AT. Now, don't get me wrong, that was pure adreneline combining with instinct to push that car to it's limits, cornering, braking, etc... but keep in mind at the same time, that there is a VERY fine line between adreneline, skill, and stupidity. You can push any vehicle to the envelope, and make any novice believe in you... but to a veteran, it can look much different. Looking back at some of the fancy driving I did, yes I won, but at the same time I am glad I didn't kill someone or myself, or that a little kid didn't run out in front of me...

But anyway, making that quote and leaving it at that is arrogant. We all know performance applies to EVERYTHING. Don't watch a video of a Neon making more horsepower than yours and posting a quote that simple. I would love to have the $ to put into my Neon to make 300+ hp, but until then, I admire those who do. And let's face it, most people won't build a 300+ hp Neon unless they already know what they are doing. A novice makes a 800 hp Mustang or Skyline and pays someone to do it. A pro builds a 300-400 hp monster out of a used Neon and drives the f*** out of it... so driving skills are almost a given in the Neon category.

And as far as driving SKILLS, I would bet my 150 hp in city driving to anyone's 200 any day, except for a straight-out 1/4-mile. Maybe one of these days, I'll be lucky enough to give myself the chance to drop more hp into my Neon. But until then, I'll smile in admiration of those who do, because I completely understand why...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #105
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Quote:
True, but they also have modified suspensions and drivetrains!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > SRT4