Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Scion > tC
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
awcforever
AF Newbie

Scion VS Celica GTS

First off, I don't want to bash the celica, but I have done so much research on this battle, and the tC takes the win. I was back and forth with another forum, and these guys were telling me its not possible for the tC (160hp) to take the GTS (180hp) but no one takes into the consideration the determining factor.....TORQUE!!! CELICA GTS 138 ftlb SCION tC 160 ftlb So for all you tC owners, stand proud b/c it is a race won for the tC. Now in a long high speed race the celica wins, its got a higher top speed and its a 6 spd, But from light to light, or 1/4 mile, the tC is the big hitter. Also I have had the expirence to run my friends 2003 GTS, and its true, hands down, off the break, and for what it counts, the tC was 2 cars ahead the entire time.
awcforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
awcforever
AF Newbie

Re: Scion VS Celica GTS

They told me it was the driver..........lol...."The celica is a hard car to drive, you have to be really good to drive one" yea right. I'm not the best, but I can drive. All the way to MIR, I tore his car up, and all the way back, he drove my car, and beat me down just the same. FIND A NEW EXCUSE!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
doock87
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to doock87

HAY GUYZ TORQQQ!!! LOLZ

Torque at the engine means nothing. You know that box sort of dealie connected to the engine with all those gears in it? Those gears multiply the torque created by the engine. Look up gearing numbers for the tC. Multiply engine torque by 1st gear, then multiply that by final drive ratio. You'll find that the torque to the wheels is in the thousands! Astonishing!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
awcforever
AF Newbie

I know the whole deal with the torque, but still using the numbers supplied by the dealer, and the experience with dyno's, and racing. What else can you have. Got 2 have bragging rights. Its all we got. Ain't it great?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doock87
HAY GUYZ TORQQQ!!! LOLZ

Torque at the engine means nothing. You know that box sort of dealie connected to the engine with all those gears in it? Those gears multiply the torque created by the engine. Look up gearing numbers for the tC. Multiply engine torque by 1st gear, then multiply that by final drive ratio. You'll find that the torque to the wheels is in the thousands! Astonishing!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
doock87
AF Regular

I'd say the weight of the tC is one of the main points to brag about. It's rare to see a car under 3,000 pounds coming out now. Even the new lancer weighs over 3,000 pounds. How they manage to stuff these poor cars full of mass, I will never know.

But yea, peak HP and torque numbers are just flat out dick waving. Pretty much worthless numbers in the real world. Torque curve is the most valuable piece of information you can get on a car.

that's for a different discussion though
Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silentscreams85

Actually i would take the GTS in the 1/4 mile over the tC. Yea the tC has alot of torque, but thats because its heavy (2950 lbs) versus the celica is a mere 2500 lbs. the celica doesn't need the torque because its 400 lbs lighter. Theres a guy on this forum running a 14.7 in the quarter with a bone stock Celica GTS. The fastest I've seen a stock tC run is like mid 15s. With that said, the tC is alot easier to launch with all that torque,the Celica is definetly much harder to launch.

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust
silentscreams85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
sexyskyline234
Banned

scion TC vs toyota celica

scion wins

note: scion and toyota are the same brands, duh!!!!
sexyskyline234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

i don't doubt that you beat your friend cause wierd things do happen, but theres no way a stock tc can beat a stock celica gts. the celica is much lighter and is more powerfull. just cause you have a little bit more torque won't make up for 300-400lbs of car. i've driven both scion tc's and celica gts before when i was interested in a daily driver and the tc felt much heavier and slugish then the celica. if you check out the statistics provided by magazines and some internet sites you'll find that most celica gts run very low 15 second times compared to high 15's to low 16's produced by the tc. it's all about power to weight ratio.

It is possible that your buddy's car is running poorly or perhaps he can't drive very well. I find it hard to believe that a celica gts is hard to launch. especially with that lower torque. you'd be less likely to spin off the line. Neither car is really hard to launch especially being stock and a NA 4 banger. i mean go to the track and see what your tc runs in the quarter. best you'll get is mid to high 15's. and it's been proven many times that celicas can run low 15's. what your insinuating is that your stock scion tc runs faster then 15.1 and thats impossible unless you completely removed your interior or have the trd supercharger. hell my 04 specv with 180ftlbs of torque and 180hp only ran 15.1 stock. which is right on target on what it's suppoed to. theres no way your heavier, under powered car is gonna be that fast.

Not trying to be a dick, but at some point you have to come to the reality of the situation.
2002 Mustang GT ( 4:10 gears, X pipe, cat back, CAI, Under drive pulley set, Intake plenum, throttle body, Tuned) 13.7@101mph https://youtu.be/btMHZeoZTS0
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeu...PX2WMqty2z4aPw
2015 Jeep renegade trailhawk
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T
daveshapellSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

maybe the celica was auto . and maybe the tC was modded. he failed to mention that

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust
Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

yea if the celica was auto then you would deffinately take it. was it an auto? do you have any mods?
2002 Mustang GT ( 4:10 gears, X pipe, cat back, CAI, Under drive pulley set, Intake plenum, throttle body, Tuned) 13.7@101mph https://youtu.be/btMHZeoZTS0
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeu...PX2WMqty2z4aPw
2015 Jeep renegade trailhawk
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T
daveshapellSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

i dont think this guy is a regular poster. so you might not get a reply =/. i have to agree. the tC would need the factory supercharger to beat the gts. oh and i found an error in his first post. the tC does not have 160 ft lbs of torque, its actually 163.

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust

Last edited by silentscreams85; 08-20-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
doock87
AF Regular

Thank god you corrected the torque value.

It's pretty obvious that the lighter car with more hp is going to win a drag race, considering variables like weather and driver are eliminated. Horsepower is a measure of work done/time. Say that to yourself out loud and then try to formulate an argument as to what torque has to do with it.

I can't stress enough how important it is that you found that 3ft/lb error. That could account for up to 36ft/lb on the ground in 1st gear! WOW!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

Actually a correction. the 05 and 06 tCs came with 160hp and 163tq. the 07 tC 161hp and 162tq. The new 07s are also available in a spec version. (Think of the WRX and WRX TR, same car with less starting options for about $1,000 less or so) The spec version loses the glass roof and weighs 2,873lbs versus the 2,901 in the regular tC. 28lbs less.

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust
Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
doock87
AF Regular

:|

Impressive figures my man. Don't forget the spec also comes with sweet steelies, that's got to be like, 1lb per wheel you save vs. aluminum 17x7's.

Man, the spec tc sure is a lot faster than the regular version.

Also, it still has the very same glass roof, it just doesn't open.

While we're on the topic of the spec tc, let's go over where it could possibly lose even more weight.
The passenger side window no longer goes auto-up, the armrest no longer has a pocket in the top of it, and the steering wheel is completely plastic! Its as if the ounces are just falling off of this car!

Do you think 28 pounds lost and 3ft/lbs gained will be significant at all? Honestly?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #15
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

28lbs isn't very significant. I do agree. the tC needs to go on a diet to compete. I think 2,800lbs would be ideal for its power. or bump up the hp to say at least 170 or so. The bottom line is, that its too heavy.

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Scion > tC