Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
gaytrey1987
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gaytrey1987 Send a message via MSN to gaytrey1987 Send a message via Yahoo to gaytrey1987
I want a Beater "D"......

Does anyone know where I can find a cheap trashed DeLorean?? Lemme know if you do gaytrey1987@yahoo.com.
gaytrey1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
timetraveler
AF Newbie

You can find a lot of beat up ones on ebay. However, unless you are an excellent mechanic with a lot of knowledge of Deloreans and are doing this as a hobby knowing full well you'll be losing money fixing one up rather than just buying a nicer one at $15k - $25k, then I would suggest that you not get a Delorean that needs a lot of work.

One example of a guy who bought one on ebay who didn't even know that it needed a lot of work spent about $10k on the car, and another $20k to get it in good running order. Granted, thats an extreme example. A more likely example is one that I looked at locally before I bought mine, where he bought one that was sitting for 10years for about $9k, and spent $7k to just get it to run somewhat ok. It still needed work to run well, When I went to look at it, it overheated and spit up anitfreeze in his driveway.

Ask any Delorean owner and they will tell you stay away from fixer-uppers, just pay a few thousand more and buy a nicer one. Unless of course like I mentioned before, this is going to be a hobby that you know you'll lose money on.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
gaytrey1987
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gaytrey1987 Send a message via MSN to gaytrey1987 Send a message via Yahoo to gaytrey1987
Re: I want a Beater "D"......

Ok, granted I know fixer-uppers are expensive....I'm a car designer and I don't want one thats already nice. I have a D right now, thats my daily driver, that until last month had almost 300,000 miles on the odometer. I then installed a Chrysler engine and transmission, but have left the car cosmetically the same. I want one that is trashed for the purpose of totally redesigning the interior and front end, and possibly the rearside, equip it with air suspension and groundskirts, and design an actuall functional fullsize window for the gullwing doors. Thats the only reason I want to buy a beater, well, except for the fact that I am going to put in a ford 300 inline 6 in it somehow or another.
gaytrey1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

sounds cool, like he said, check E-bay.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
timetraveler
AF Newbie

I don't know how much your looking to spend, but I just found this one on Autotrader. It Runs, but says it needs some restoration. It's selling for $7900
HERES THE LINK
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

that one is good.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
djeconcerto
AF Newbie

This one is in Bonita Springs, FL.
djeconcerto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Re: Re: I want a Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaytrey1987
Ok, granted I know fixer-uppers are expensive....I'm a car designer and I don't want one thats already nice. I have a D right now, thats my daily driver, that until last month had almost 300,000 miles on the odometer. I then installed a Chrysler engine and transmission, but have left the car cosmetically the same. I want one that is trashed for the purpose of totally redesigning the interior and front end, and possibly the rearside, equip it with air suspension and groundskirts, and design an actuall functional fullsize window for the gullwing doors. Thats the only reason I want to buy a beater, well, except for the fact that I am going to put in a ford 300 inline 6 in it somehow or another.
i don't think u know this but Bob Brandys's delorean time machine is the first and only delorean with full size power windows.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:31 AM   #9
Musclecar007
AF Newbie

I want a beater D

A good one is on sale for 14000 on E-bay
Musclecar007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:53 AM   #10
Doittommarow
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Doittommarow
Re: I want a beater D

I was looking in the paper one day and stumbled across a delorean for sale for 8,000. It said it was the original owner and was in good condition. Only 40 something thousand miles. Man was I furious when I found out it sold the night before. Something seemed fishy about it though, the fact that it was the original owner leads me to believe that the person would have some sort of knowledge of the value/rarity of the car. And if it was really in good condition he would know it was worth much more than that.... Oh well, it doesn't matter anyhow as while I type this someone out there is polishing their stainless steel beauty.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12