Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance
Tips and Maintenance Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures here (for both Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Advisory for All '01-'02 Grand Prix with SII 3800 Engine Concerning CAT Convertor

Applicable to all '01-'02 Pontiac Grand Prix with SII 3800 engine VIN "K" and "1"

Quote:
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; or Buick Regal model vehicle, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; and Buick Regal model vehicles, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, may have a condition where the catalytic converter is replaced due to complaints of lack of power or illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This may be due to the front endcone insulation from the catalytic converter breaking away and blocking the front of the first catalyst brick and preventing the free flow of exhaust gas through the converter.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done
General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the Catalytic Converter. If this condition occurs on your 2001-02 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo; Pontiac Grand Prix; or Buick Regal model vehicle, equipped with a 3.4L or 3.8L V6 engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (190,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .

What You Should Do
Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
clevername88
AF Newbie

Re: Advisory for All '01-'02 Grand Prix with SII 3800 Engine Concerning CAT Convertor

Wow thanks for the quick and helpful post. I called Pontiac directly and they confirmed that I should be covered. However, when I called the dealership back they said I'm only covered up to 80,000 miles. My car has 117,000 miles so I'm currently fighting that battle.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
PopeSicola
AF Newbie

Re: Advisory for All '01-'02 Grand Prix with SII 3800 Engine Concerning CAT Convertor

Is it possible to find out where this advisory came from? My dealer is hard nosed denying it, saying it stops at 80K miles... please help!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
03ls
AF Newbie

I bought my car in June of 2009 and it was struggling to get up to speed. I searched online for the cat recall and came up with campaign number 05551. I took this to my Pontiac dealer and had them type the code in. I made them read the part where it said the campaign is extended to 120,000 miles. Mine has 112,000 miles. They tested my cat and they said it was bad. They changed it and I did not pay a dime. My 01 GT drives as good as new now.

Hope this helps anybody else.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
GTPgal
AF Newbie

How can I tell if I need to take mine in?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername88 View Post
Wow thanks for the quick and helpful post. I called Pontiac directly and they confirmed that I should be covered. However, when I called the dealership back they said I'm only covered up to 80,000 miles. My car has 117,000 miles so I'm currently fighting that battle.
good luck on that one my wife got a recall on her cat on a 06 malibu said it can only be 10000 mls and i think 10 years and she's passed that and dealer wont do it. but maybe you get lucky it's no money out of there pocket.

good luck.......

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance