Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR
SiR too slow offline on 1/4!!!

Well yesterday I went to the track to race my car. Im 4900 ft above sea level so times increase dramatically. I ran 17.33 yesterday with a .526 reaction time. My best time in the track has been 17.93. A stock civic 2003 coupe EX ran 17.78...thought they were slower. Then I asked him if he would race and I beat him by around 6 car lengths or so. Isnt an SiR supposed to beat a 2003 EX by more than a second?
Then I raced a Jetta 2001 1.8 T with no cat, and minor mods. He ran a 16.1 , in paper my car is faster than the jetta 150 hp. Everybody says its because 1.6 liter naturally aspirated engines at this elevations decrease their performance a lot, and turbo cars are barely affected. He beat me by around 5-6 cars, whooped my ass.
I notice that I launch at around 5000-5500 and then after spinning wheels my needle drops to around 3k on tha tach on first gear, and to hit VTEC (5500) it takes an eternity, it is so slow when its under vtec, once i hit the upper end, I notice that it goes fast. The jetta got around 4 car lengths away from me in first gear, then I noticed I kept up with him. I notice this in most races...too damn slow when i launch and wait to hit 5500 rpms.
So here are my questions since most of you can tell me the truth!

1)Civic EX against SiR? He runs around .6 seconds above my time but I beat him by around 7 cars...weird?

2)Im affected by the 4900 ft too much!! stock my car runs 15.6, im running 17.3..thats 1.7 seconds higher!...turbo cars arent affected as much?

3) Should I launch higher...6000-7000 RPM, or whats the best thing to do in order to get in vtec faster...change gears, make first shorter? say making first go up to 30 kph instead of 50kph?

Last, Im not a bad driver, I shift fast, my reaction times are good, so Im a decent driver. Thanks for the help.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)

Last edited by MexSiR; 12-07-2003 at 04:25 PM.
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
Rgacke
AF Regular

Next time you hit the track put in some premium and advance your timing and let some of the air out of your front tires if you haven't already. You are being affected by the elevation but try to cut down on the wheel spin. As far as launching, just go w/whatever works for you.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:23 PM   #3
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Re: SiR too slow offline on 1/4!!!

Yeah how about really short gears, that would help a lot right?
How about the EX?
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Old 11-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Dumped91Hatch
AF Enthusiast

Stop launching so high. Wheel spin = no go. Try launching from like 3500rpm or so. On a good launch you will get little wheel spin and will not bogg down much.

Check out my car here My 91 Hatch
Dumped91Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:51 PM   #5
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

yeah but if I spin them at 3500 my needle drops to 2k or so and it takes an ETERNITY to hit vtec in first, ive tried and it gets me better 0-60mph times launching 5000-5500 but next time ill try several variations.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Old 12-02-2003, 03:26 AM   #6
got v-tec?
AF Enthusiast

first of all, what size rims do you have? if i were you just go find a road you can practice launching on. then take out about half the amount of air of wich the tire says it can hold, and try launching at about 6200
or just try launching from 6000 to 6500. with a good launch your wheel should start cetching the road right before v-tec, in your case 5300
with stock tires you dont want to start cetching the road in v-tec range or you'll most likely just keep spinning. some performance tires will help out alot. so incase you start cetching the road in v-tec range you'll just start moving.
but ya make sure you take out some air. my tires say they hold a max. of 44psi @ the track i take out 24psi so its at 20psi.
got v-tec? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:37 PM   #7
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by got v-tec?
first of all, what size rims do you have? if i were you just go find a road you can practice launching on. then take out about half the amount of air of wich the tire says it can hold, and try launching at about 6200
or just try launching from 6000 to 6500. with a good launch your wheel should start cetching the road right before v-tec, in your case 5300
with stock tires you dont want to start cetching the road in v-tec range or you'll most likely just keep spinning. some performance tires will help out alot. so incase you start cetching the road in v-tec range you'll just start moving.
but ya make sure you take out some air. my tires say they hold a max. of 44psi @ the track i take out 24psi so its at 20psi.
Thanx man Ill defenitely try that, that sounds great...I have 15 inch stock rims with good Yokohamas. But yeah im running pretty high air on them on the track...If i take out lots of air, Ill launch way faster but wouldnt that slow me down while im moving? Well Ill defenitely try it and tell you how it came next saturday.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Old 12-02-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
PunkAlex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PunkAlex
I've been sitting on this for a few hours, so i decided ill post:

When you say a 1.8T beat you off the line? And people said turbo cars arent affected by the thin air? Umm correct me if im wrong but wouldnt the elevation increase turbo lag since he's starting off like you, sucking thin air? Since the VW makes its power off of the turbo, i would think your naturally aspirated car of equal (i think) power would be the first off the line. I would go by what the others said with letting some air out and what not, cause unless my logic is wrong its not the thin air power issue.

I tend to hate people....expecially liberals...
This is my temporary racecar-the two liter beast itself, the 87 camry:
PunkAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:14 PM   #9
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Yeah thats what I thought too, I would launch faster and his turbo would spool and never catch me. It was a 150 hp version with no cat and minor mods, so probably pulling 165 or so...but weights like a tank, those jettas. Its weird but my car takes pretty long to hit vtec in first, sometimes i get really good launches and it goes ok, with the jetta i didnt have a great launch it was ok, but affected by thin air are the NA engines, smaller displacement are even more affected, all mexican fellows say turbocharged engines are barely affected by height. For example my car runs 15.6 sea level, here it runs 17.2, the 1.8T 150 hp was tested as 16.0 at sealevel and here it runs 16.4 stock, I would smack the crap out of the 150 hp vws...I faster from a roll, but standing race, shit!
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Old 12-04-2003, 01:45 AM   #10
got v-tec?
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: SiR too slow offline on 1/4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexSiR
Thanx man Ill defenitely try that, that sounds great...I have 15 inch stock rims with good Yokohamas. But yeah im running pretty high air on them on the track...If i take out lots of air, Ill launch way faster but wouldnt that slow me down while im moving? Well Ill defenitely try it and tell you how it came next saturday.
no it wont slow you down. plus the launch differance will make up for it big time. but ya go make some practice runs with low air in your tires and go to the track and let us know how you did.
got v-tec? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:20 AM   #11
gear head
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Re: SiR too slow offline on 1/4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumped91Hatch
Stop launching so high. Wheel spin = no go. Try launching from like 3500rpm or so. On a good launch you will get little wheel spin and will not bogg down much.

Edited by carrrnuttt for being out of topic and and out of line.

Last edited by carrrnuttt; 12-04-2003 at 12:43 PM.
gear head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:18 PM   #12
Hermansader
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Hermansader
Re: Re: Re: SiR too slow offline on 1/4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear head

Edited by carrrnuttt for being out of topic and and out of line.
Dude STFU, how did you even get involved in this? He was asking a question to improve his times. You don't have to come on here and start shit like that. I don't want to start a flame-fest here, but what the hell did that have to do with anything?
Hermansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:56 PM   #13
PunkAlex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PunkAlex
man...i missed the post...now im all curious and stuff!

Yeah i just want to emphasize the point of what everyone else said-its the launch. If you say you can take him from a roll, then its deffinately the launch. Does your car have an LSD?

I tend to hate people....expecially liberals...
This is my temporary racecar-the two liter beast itself, the 87 camry:
PunkAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:09 AM   #14
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

No it unfortunately doesent, its stock. Ok im going to go on saturday and ill film a race or two and post it along with my time slip, hopefully with better times. Thanks a lot.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Old 12-05-2003, 04:32 AM   #15
sameintheend01
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sameintheend01

well, if the guy had "minor mods" he probably jacked up his boost since he is in high elevation. Theoritically, you can run higher boost at high elevations because less O2 in the air and increasing the boost would bring it back to "normal"
Iridium Spark Plugs
High Performance Plug Wires
High Flow Cat (unistalled)
Cool high/low beam lights
All around slotted and AEM pads
sameintheend01 is offline   Reply With Quote