Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > TVR > Speed 12
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #1
DWF Engineering
AF Regular

Production???

Is there really a TVR Speed 12 street car. I've seen the racer but what about the Cerbera Speed 12. Has anybody ever actually bought one? It's a breath taking car and would be like a dream come true to know one is actually out there.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
Jared_80
Banned

Yes there is a production street car but they are only avalable in Great Britan, and they cost around $350,000. The street car is actualy more powerful than the racing version, because of race regulations they had to tune it down to 750hp.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:32 AM   #3
TimUK
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to TimUK
Re: Production???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_80
Yes there is a production street car but they are only avalable in Great Britan.
No theres not a Street car or any Speed 12 going into production infact.
Peter wheeler (The chairman of TVR) decided agaisnt making the car for road use as the engine was so powerfull he decided the general public would not acctually be able to handle it.
The original speed 12 engine acctually broke a Roll road dyno which was rated at 1000bhp. The engine was a major thing for TVR as it was not turbo'd or supercharged!

And before you start calling me a BS my dad owns a TVR V8S and is subseqently a member of the Offical TVR car club and gets regular magazines from them, and this info was in a article.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
Jared_80
Banned

Re: Re: Production???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUK
Peter wheeler (The chairman of TVR) decided agaisnt making the car for road use as the engine was so powerfull he decided the general public would not acctually be able to handle it.
The original speed 12 engine acctually broke a Roll road dyno which was rated at 1000bhp. The engine was a major thing for TVR as it was not turbo'd or supercharged!

And before you start calling me a BS my dad owns a TVR V8S and is subseqently a member of the Offical TVR car club and gets regular magazines from them, and this info was in a article.

Hu I am not questioning you honesty or anything but TVR has to sell a certain number of a car to race it in the GT series right? I could have sworn that I have seen a Speed 12 race car so was is it an illigal race car or did the rules change or did they sell them as a non street legal car? Since you seem to know alot about TVR could you please explin to me what are the downsides of using a steel engine and steel tube frame? TVR makes their cars very light and I am woundering why we Americans don't use the same basic design in our cars.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:41 PM   #5
White Riot
AF Newbie

I have no idea about Speed 12 road cars,

But there is something like 3 Cerbera Speed 12 roads car somewhere.........

the one in this pic recently (ish) got sold for £170'000.....

but i cant seeem to post an atachment,

ill post it soon
Old 12-07-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Guyanson_Mendiola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Production???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_80
Hu I am not questioning you honesty or anything but TVR has to sell a certain number of a car to race it in the GT series right? I could have sworn that I have seen a Speed 12 race car so was is it an illigal race car or did the rules change or did they sell them as a non street legal car? Since you seem to know alot about TVR could you please explin to me what are the downsides of using a steel engine and steel tube frame? TVR makes their cars very light and I am woundering why we Americans don't use the same basic design in our cars.
so, there wasn't any road legal versions of the Speed 12?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

I think that TimUK has the most reliable info here, all I can say is that its too bad. A road Speed 12 would put McLaren and Bugatti to shame, that is assuming that any of its buyers could subdue it.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
BH KiN
AF Newbie

iv bin told it has to be a production car to get into the GT

but its been altered a lot to make it safe for the road and thier having problems with the chasis
Old 05-17-2004, 12:27 PM   #9
TimUK
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to TimUK
Yes they do have to be a production car to become a GT the speed 12 was made for about 3months or so and noone brought one. They made 1 production version which IS road leagal and is for sale for a wopin£180,000 which is cheap in supercar terms but for TVR thats expensive.

So now they have the TVR T400/440. which is a production car and even a 4.2ltr SUPERCHARGED version which is called the T550 which is subseqently producing 550bhp
Old 05-24-2004, 01:31 AM   #10
Rowan
AF Newbie

I researched the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 thoroughly through speaking to TVR car club members, the infamous EVO article, countless hours searching the Internet and numerous emails. What I know so far is this....

The Cerbera Speed 12 road car was first introduced to the public back in 1998 at Silverstone raceway adorned in the color silver. The car had the same 7.7L V12 as the race version but was urestricted and pumped out a theoretical 940hp (Peter Wheeler - Chairman of TVR) as it was never propperly dyno'd. This was a lot more than the race cars which were running at the time, approx 650hp.

The car toured the British GT racing circuit with Team TVR as a promotional tool and appeared in 2000 in the burgandy red colour as shown above.

For about the last year or so the car has been advertised for sale at many websites including race cars direct and TVR's own Racing Green site. From memory the asking price was around 170,000 pounds.

As of May 2004, the car has sits in the back corner of the storage room out back of TVR's blackpool headquarters slowly gathering dust. Recent rumors say that the car has been sold and TVR are currently preparing the car and re-building (and de-tuning) the engine for the customer.

Thanks,

Rowan.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:24 AM   #11
bkvj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to bkvj

it IS in production, i saw 1 at the netherlands, cruisin on the boulevard!!!! and it is thru, i saw it with my own eyes!!
Old 09-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #12
Mustang-man
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Mustang-man

If i had the money i'd seriously think about buying one (after i get my Skyline GT-R and Ferrari F50 of course.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
The Big T
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to The Big T

TimUK said

There are 2 speed 12 road cars in great Brittain. They are both at the TVR factory in Blackpool. One in the showroom and the other one is in a garage towards the back of the complex.

How do I know this? My dad made the shocks for the speed 12 and all the TVR's now. (Quite reliable I think)
Old 01-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #14
The Big T
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to The Big T
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The quote button did'nt work so I had to copy and paste
Old 04-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
993cc
AF Regular

So to conclude : there are 2 prototype Speed 12's AND 2-3 Cerbera Speed 12's ?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > TVR > Speed 12