Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Hsmith117
AF Regular

Unhappy Need help with door locks

the ford forum is so dead but i own a camro so i came here since you guys know a lot..heres the problem with my 96 ford explorer...

some reason my passenger door will not go down when press to lock. and on the driver side when you hit unlock the nothing happens. Is this some type of electrical problem. Its weird because the lock button works. Can someone please help...

Old 05-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma man.
Re: Need help with door locks

well my mom had a 94 that would lock
(with the passenger side button)
but wouldnt unlock. we replaced the
whole switch panel and it fixed it.
it think the contacts on our
unlock side was worn out.
good luck
Old 06-12-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
fordexploder
AF Newbie

If none of the swithces make the pass. door lock go down try hitting the lower right hand corner of the door and hit the lock button at the same time. If the lock goes down the you probably need a power door lock actuator or a power door lock motor (which are pretty much the same thing). Oh yeah and if the door lock still doesn't go down i suggest the same fix. And with ure driver side if there isn't a noise try jumping the door lock wires to see if the lock actually works and if it does try replacing the power door lock switch.
fordexploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
pardinifan
AF Newbie

I have a similar problem The passenger side door lock/unlock button works fine. The drivers side button will lock all of the doors but the unlock does not work. I replaced the switch but the same thing happens with the new switch. Any idea what might be causing this.

Thanks
pardinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Time to study the wiring. Do the lock actuators even pulse slightly when the unlock switch is depressed?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
pardinifan
AF Newbie

The door locks work fine if you use the remote or the passenger side door unlock button. On the drivers side the "lock" side of the toggle switch also works, the "unlock" is the only thing that doesn't seem to work.
pardinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

All the door lock switch does is ground the relay that you are activating(lock or unlock).....the ground is good on the driver's side, because the lock works(lock and unlock circuits use the same ground)......

Since the passenger side switch works both ways, and you already replaced the driver's side switch(new?), then the problem is an open wire....if this was a GM car, the first place I would check, is the wire loom that passes from the left front Driver's door to the LF "A" pillar....over time, opening and closing the Driver's front door causes the harness in the loom to flex, and a wire or wires can break....I think this is what happened to you....simple to test....pull the harness off the Driver's side lock switch.....Ground one of the wires in the harness, either the PK/Y or the PK/LG...one wire will lock the doors, the other will unlock.....if you ground the unlock wire, and nothing happens, that is the wire with the open......

Caution, when you check the wires in the loom, there may be others ready to break also....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions