Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
CindyLynn
AF Newbie

1994 Chev Camaro V6 starting issues

Hi- I have a 94 Chevrolet Camaro V6 that is having some starting issues. When I first start it for the day/or after it has been sitting for a while, I have to crank it a couple of times. Then let's say I start it, run in to the store and come back out- it fires up on the first time. I was wondering if perhaps the fuel pump is going out? I put some Lucas Gas Treatment in a couple of tanks ago and it seemed to help for like a day. I have also tried using non-ethanyol gas which didn't seem to help. I have replaced 3 STARTERS on this car!! Someone mentioned the fuel pump; others mentioned the key/the 'Security' light is on. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 1994 Chev Camaro V6 starting issues

poor cold start measure the fuel pressure. replace the fuel filter if its old. if that is good then replace the ECT. this tells the PCM/computer what the temp is of the engine.. if its wrong you get hard cold starts. I would also clean the TB with TB cleaner. this over time cause idling/starting of the engine issues with the build up of carbon/deposits.. plug wires being old or the wrong spec can also cause a poor cold start. there is NO one answer.. you gotta get dirty..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
CindyLynn
AF Newbie

Thank you for your response j CAT. Could you tell me what the ECT is/stands for? Also more clarification on the TB Cleaner? I was going to replace the fuel filter to see if that works.
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Have you ever had a starter gear (aka bendex) go bad in this car? If you have, the bad gear can often chew up the teeth on the outside of the flywheel if it was left in for too long and the starter gear will slip and get chewed up. This will keep happening until the flywheel and starter gear are both replaced (if the flywheel is bad). You should be able to get a new starter gear without getting a whole new starter motor.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

ECT is the coolant temp sensor.....

TB is throttle body....it's possible the throttle plate in the bore is gummed causing less air flow with the throttle closed...also the IAC(idle air control valve) solenoid pintle could be gummed up also(this controls your idle, via the computer, which commands the pintle to open or close, creating more or less air flow into the engine at idle0....

Changing the filter is a good idea....

Is this a 3.8 or a 3.4?

You didn't replace starters for this problem, did you?

If your security light came on, after the car was running, it won't prevent the vehicle from starting....

Another possibility is a bad f/p relay, if you have extended cranks on a cold start up....

Have you checked for codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Camaro Discussions