Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

The Driver's Seat: To Ban or Not to Ban: A Quandary of Mobile Devices

The Driver's Seat:
To Ban or Not to Ban: A Quandary of Mobile Devices
The National Traffic Safety Board has proposed a ban on all mobile devices while driving. Should we get behind it?

Jonathan Swigart - AutomotiveForums.com
Dec. 14, 2011

Yes.

The simplicity of this word as an answer is often displayed in the absoluteness that it offers the question that precedes it.

“Do you need air to breath?” Yes.

“Is the majority of the Earth covered in water?” Yes.

“Would you like to take this Ferrari for a spin?” Yes.

But at what point does “yes” carry conditions? Is it the moment you use it in response to “do you believe mobile devices should be banned while driving?”

If you’re a driver who has, at one time or another and for whatever reason, utilized your mobile phone to make a phone call or send a text or email while driving, you probably disagree with the National Traffic Safety Board’s recent call to ban all mobile devices while driving.

And you should. Because while this desire for a ban would likely serve drivers as a great way to minimize accidents, it also serves as another way for a governing body to dictate what we can and cannot do in our own vehicles. Right?

Honestly? I don’t believe a word of that.

In fact, save for the occasional call from my wife, I usually have no reason to even look at my phone while driving – especially when I have my 8-month-old son in the car with me.

That said, I can’t think of anything short of answering yes or no to a life-or-death question that would necessitate fumbling with a cell phone while operating a vehicle.

“Nonsense,” some of you may say. “I can operate my car just fine while using my phone.” That’s great, and I’m sure the other 13.5 million people who are on their phones at any one time while driving agree with you (this according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).

But your word against the growing number of people who are injured or killed because of their inability to “hang up and drive” isn’t enough for me to offer any kind of middling support.

Trust me; I used to be right there with you. I would text, email and call on my Blackberry as often as I could, because I just didn’t have time to put things off. But that wasn’t true, and it took me a while, but I finally realized that.

The reality is, when you’re driving, that’s what you’re doing. You’re not emailing, you’re not texting, you’re not telling your girlfriend about that cute guy you met – you’re paying attention to the road like you should be.

Imagine how the families impacted by a recent Missouri pileup would feel if someone told them that you should be allowed to text or talk on your phone while driving.

Or, ask anyone who’s lost a loved one to a car accident because someone was on their phone and not paying attention. Good luck arguing that point.

Being a licensed driver is a privilege, not a given right. When you earn the ability to get behind the wheel of a car, you’re accepting the responsibility that comes with using your driver’s license. When you get behind the wheel and offer your attention to the likes of an email or a text message instead of giving it to the road, you're admitting your lack of safety and responsibility behind the wheel.

I would support this ban if it were implemented and I would support any repercussions that befall anyone who violates it.

And if you insist on being one of the drivers that would ignore any possible ban, please be sure to do so on a quiet country road. That way the only person you take out with your idiocy is you.

-------------------------------

Jonathan Swigart is an award-winning journalist and has been around the automotive world his entire life. "The Driver's Seat" will explore some of the basic aspects of driving that drivers often overlook, among other topics related to driving and the auto industry. He lives in Champaign, Illinois with his wife and son and works at the University of Illinois.

Views expressed in this column are those of the writer and do not represent the views of AutomotiveForums.com or its subsidiaries.

You can reach Jonathan by emailing newsdesk@automotiveforums.com

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!

Last edited by jon@af; 12-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Re: The Driver's Seat: To Ban or Not to Ban: A Quandary of Mobile Devices

Does anyone actually believe that it's ok to use a cell phone while driving?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
ashusood
AF Newbie

don't use mobile while drive the car
ashusood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie View Post
Does anyone actually believe that it's ok to use a cell phone while driving?
Yeah, but only as long as the driver is using a hands-free bluetooth adapter. 'Cause the real distraction is trying to hold that little phone, it has nothing to do with the driver's mind focusing on a conversation rather than driving.

-Sarcastic Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Here in NYS, we already have a law (1st state in the U.S. to have one) against using mobile devices while driving...sort of. Technically you can only get ticketed if you do some other driving infraction, while using a device. Of course that doesn't stop people from being given tickets anyways.

But some of the studies they have done since then, have either shown only a small decrease in usage, or even an increase in usage.

There's no way people will stop using them, regardless of whether it's illegal or not. Everyone I know still uses they phones while driving, myself included. Though I never make a phone call to someone, & it's rare for me to pick up the phone unless it's a call from the person I'm going to meet with, or to read a brief text message. I also make sure that there aren't any other cars right next to me. Yet still, I realize it's a dangerous thing to do, regardless of how brief the conversation is, or whether anyone else is near my vehicle.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Viking22
AF Newbie

I'm in favor of leaving local laws in effect, not banning it totally. I've seen both worlds. I've tried texting and dialing while driving and see that it is really dangerous. Hands free is the way to go. Single button for receiving calls. No outgoing calls unless not rolling. My wife has bluetooth in her car and I see advantages of that too. Having the phonebook sync'd up to the car is helpful. Plus, do you notice the double standard? How may law enforcement people do you see on the cell phone?
Viking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

My province, Ontario, bans all texting and all hand-held devices. Hands-free conversations are still allowed.

This law is enforced and is very popular, but is widely disobeyed. I suspect many people continue to use their phones even though they know its risky and wrong.

I am all-for the ban, particularly for urban and freeway driving. Even hands-free should be banned, but that is probably unenforcable.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
red_dog
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Yeah, but only as long as the driver is using a hands-free bluetooth adapter. 'Cause the real distraction is trying to hold that little phone, it has nothing to do with the driver's mind focusing on a conversation rather than driving.

-Sarcastic Rod
Good one. But if this is really true, shouldn't any talking (and changing the radio station, and looking down at your gauges, etc. etc... ) also be banned?

All focusing the mind on a task other than driving... what to do what to do?

I know! BAN DRIVING. That way, there will never be another death or injury from an auto accident. Now, tons of people might die for the lack of the ability to get to or receive prompt medical attention for a variety of reasons, but at least no one will die due to the evils of driving. And plus, we'll save the world from certain global warming catastrophe.... YAAAAAAY!!!
red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
shorod
SHO No Mo

A co-worker and I were discussing this topic and he brought up the exact same comment, where to draw the line. What makes hands-free phone calls more distracting than conversations in the car? That's a valid thought. About my only defense would be that the other passenger or passengers in the car will typically not be blind and therefore may help the driver spot impending danger. That's not a given though.

As for checking the gauges, I don't think that is really a discussion point as a driver should not need to study a gauge. It is possible to spend less than a second making sure the speedometer needle is pointing where it should be, and I would hope the driver is not choosing to check their speed as they are approaching stopped traffic, driving in a congested area, or passing any type of vehicle. If something happens at the same time it would be considered otherwise safe to check the speedometer, chances are pretty good the fraction of a second spent checking the speed would not have avoided hitting that deer, etc.

Changing the radio station can be a distraction, and that is probably partly why so many manufacturers offer steering wheel radio controls now, or even voice activated control automation. I have voice activation and I do feel that it is more distracting than just pressing the steering wheel controls to change the station/track/media source. I generally can change the radio station in far less time than a typical phone call lasts.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
jdmccright
The RustBuster

The issue of distracted driving came to light when radios became commonly installed equipment into vehicles...the first I believe in 1932 (Blaupunkt in Studebakers...I'm sure I'll catch flak for being wrong on this, blame Wikipedia). It was the reason later models came with a "seek" function to eliminate the hand-fiddling to tune in a station.

However, I will note there is a difference to some extent: a radio is a mostly passive distraction where one listens intently (and sometimes participates by singing along) or dismisses it as background noise. A phone call requires active participation and thus attention.

I personally am on the fence with this one. I don't disagree with its intent, but it is because so many abuse it that this law is being pushed. Commuting in the worst area in the US (Washington DC...look it up), all too often I see people driving and talking...not for a minute or two, but for 30 minutes or more. Their car has transmogrified into a rolling office by day and a living room at night. People that whizz by me on their phone I catch up to 40 minutes later and they are STILL on it gabbing away. It irks me and makes me pity them. Is there an alternative?

1) Public transportation. Environmentally friendly but for most it isn't economically feasible, doesn't save any time, and doesn't count for "being on the clock" in your chair at work. But it is a safer (albeit non-private) way to conduct phone calls.

2) Carpool. Being the passeneger eliminates the bad of public trannsportation and is more private, but despite today's internet, it is hard to find a fellow commuter going to your destination at your time of day.

3) Pull over. Safe? Sort of, as long as you don't get rear-ended by idiots who like using the roadside as an extra passing lane or a mile-long turn lane. But do this and you can tack on all that extra time spent getting to/from work PLUS the gas you waste idling there while you gab.

4) My proposal...the 2-minute drill option. Phones have amazing capabilities now and we love to exploit them. So it's time we make them think for us. They can sense when we are moving in a car, so they either deactivate or send a message to the caller that we are busy driving (I think there are already apps that do this). OR calls are limited to a few minutes before it is dropped. Most people don't have the discipline to limit their squalk time, so let the phone do it (hmm, maybe having 5 bars all the time isn't such a great thing after all!). I'm sure there will be idiots who try to eschew this by just hitting redial...but can be thwarted when the smart phone senses the same caller ID and stops it...say one call per number per 30 minutes. And if a text comes in, it is read aloud and requires only a yes or no response...limit to three texts per caller ID number. If you can't get to the point in 3 messages, then you should save the conversation for a better time.

My apologies to Mr. Swigart and any others for my counterpoint response. Where I live I see young teens die in car accidents on our winding back roads on an annual basis, so to implement limits or bans on the young folk would certainly be welcome. As for adults, I don't object to the ban, but I can't fully support when there could be an alternative to increase safety and driver awareness while still allowing some freedom in today's world of long commutes. Thanks for allowing my 2 cents.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Here in NZ, they put in a place a ban on cell phone use only last year.

The ban was driven largely by the insurance industry and a thing we have here called the ACC (they cover costs of accidental injury and are government funded).

Both the Insurance industry and the ACC have a lot to gain by reducing the number of car accidents, potentially millions of dollars.

Plenty of studies have been done here, in Ausie, Europe and the US on driver distraction, both real work studies and in simulators.
They all determined that talking on a cell phone that you are holding in your hand is the most dangerous and distracting thing you can do.

When you talk to someone on the phone your brain has to process the conversation in a different way than if they are sitting next to you.
We talk differently in order to convey what would normally be visual ques and our brain has to work harder and translates the spoken ques into visual ones.
Your also holding one hand up to your head, which means one less hand to control the vehicle with and it forces you to focus in one direction.
Finally, your dealing with a different audio input. One that is right up against your ear. This is supposed to be the biggest distraction, as it focus's your attention on what is being said and it takes it away from your wider environment, i.e. driving the car.

If you work in a desk cubicle, next time you talk to someone on the phone try and concentrate on what else is happening in the office at the same time. You will find it very hard to do, and notice that things happening in the office are big distraction from your phone call.
Of course paying attention to the phone call and tuning out the office won't cause a car crash.

It's not just cell phones that cause distractions.
Anything that takes your focus off of the road and the act of driving is dangerous.
When your traveling at anything more than 10mph, things happen VERY very quickly.
If you've ever had an accident then you know how quickly things can change, if you haven't had an accident, then just believe me when I say that you can go from driving along very happily to a loud bang, lots of pain and the car pointing in the wrong direction in a very small fraction of a second.

The best evidence of how dangerous taking your focus away from the singular act of driving can be, then look at how much work has gone into car design to help keep people focused on the road.
Heads up displays are a commercial reality, steering wheel mounted controls are very common and a lot of work goes into dash board design and control layout so you can find and activate switches with out having to look at them and read dials and gauges at the shortest glance.

At the most extreme level, look at the cockpit of a F1 car. They are the ultimate example of focusing the drivers attentions on the road.
Everything is designed to be reached by touch and the few visual ques needed are placed at the top of the wheel, so appear in the bottom of the drivers vision.
I know it's an extreme example, but they do it keep driver attention focused on the track for safety first and competitive advantage second.

All of this of course points to one thing, getting distracted from driving, while driving, is what causes accidents.
Taking your hands off the wheel, and or, your eyes off the road is what causes accidents.

That means adjusting the radio, turning on the air-con, eating a burger or looking at the hot chick walking down the road, or using a cell phone are good ways to have an accident.

So the law introduced here does not ban cell phone use out right. It simply reinforced existing laws about dangerous driving by banning hand held use of a cell phone.
It is something that can be banned, and it can be enforced.
And here in NZ at least, it has had a positive impact on the number of accidents.

Of course if everyone was a responsible and competent driver there would be no need for such laws, as everyone would know that doing things that distract you from driving is stupid and dangerous.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

Wow, great thread and great piece up top Swigz! I generally agree that drivers shouldn't be diverting their attention from the road while in motion, but to attempt to eliminate all distractions is just unrealistic. Certainly, some distractions are stronger than others (RH comes to mind) and texting is probably the top of that list for both frequency and negative impact. However, state and/or federal government will never be able to legislate away the root cause of most accidents, the irresponsible driver.

Just as with distractions, there are varying degrees of innate irresponsibility amongst drivers. I am certain that all of us have been guilty of an irresponsible episode at one time in our driving careers. That can be as simple as speeding along on the freeway, or as unforgivable as a drunk driving collision. Sh!t happens, but how many times do you let it happen??

I think it is important to draw a distinction between being a bad driver and an irresponsible one. Being "bad" or "good" at driving is (imo) indicative of your mental capacity to observe your driving environment and make proper decisions at speed. However, having that capacity does not mean it is always utilized. Some people have a VERY limited capacity to both observe and act (rather than just react) while driving, but they can attempt to make up for that by being extremely cautious and responsible. I believe that some of the most irresponsible drivers are the good ones... myself included in my younger days.

Those who are most confident in their abilities are usually the most willing to take risks because they feel like they are always in control. That feeling of control and sometimes invincibility are part of what fuels skilled drivers to push farther. Unfortunately, humans notoriously overestimate their abilities in all areas. The more you overestimate, the faster it is likely to catch up to you.

Relating back to the specific topic at hand, I believe that the majority of drivers who allow themselves to be distracted by their phones (especially texters) are fully confident that they are "good" enough drivers to avoid any pitfalls while sending out their "LOL"s and "K"s. Like Moppie said, its hard to fully appreciate the speed at which life happens while you drive, and until self-proclaimed good drivers experience an accident (regardless of cause) they are likely to mitigate their fears of the millions of variables that could result in a very skilled driver having a very bad accident.

Until the government figures out a way to ban stupidity and irresponsibility, then I don't think the issue of distracted driving will get any better. Advances in technology are what made it possible for us to be distracted in so many ways, and I believe technology is the only way to fight back against those distractions. HUDs are a start, but not very common in passenger vehicles. Smart auto makers will invest R&D into developing features that allow drivers to engage in distractions, but help reduce the dangers inherent to them. Talk-to-text being integrated with Bluetooth/HUD technology has to be on the horizon. jdmcc, I think your idea about the cell phones cutting off while the car is in motion is a great one in principle, but sadly, the majority of the cell phone buying community would revolt and kill the technology by not supporting it with their wallets. A good idea in today's world is only as good as the number of people willing to pay for it.

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
randsin
AF Newbie

Use of mobile phones while driving is banned in majority of the countries and have some sort of fine while caught doing this .

However still majority of the people do text or make a call while driving, its dangerous for everyone who is inside the car or outside it.
randsin is offline   Reply With Quote