Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
McCann
AF Newbie

Sonny Boy's '94 6 Cyl Oil Filter Adapter Leak fixed

Hi All,

Finally...after 5 months and numerous oil stains...we figured out the oil leak...and after 2 mechanics...got the leak resolved on Sonny Boy's Jeep Cherokee.
And that makes Mama happy!

Here is the lowdown:

For those of you who do not know...on the 6 cyl engine the oil filter actually is screwed onto an adapter that is bolted to the engine block at a 90 degree angle. This is done due to a lack of clearance issue. It is bolted on with 2 torx head bolts. Between the block and the adapter is a 3" O-ring gasket that gets brittle and dries out and eventually leaks. This O-ring is what needs to be changed.

There is not a lot of room to get the torx head bit in there...so make sure of 3 things:
1. That the O-ring gasket is available before the mechanic starts.
2. That the mechanic has the right tool(s) to remove the adapter.
3. That the mechanic is actually knowledgable.

Mechanic #2 that fixed it said it is a simple job if you have the right tool. He also said this is one of the biggest standard oil leaks on the Jeep 6 cyl and that he has changed a lot of the O-Rings. He estimates the one on Sonny Boy's Jeep has been leaking for many many years. When we bent it in half...it broke...definitely brittle.

There is one other thing to watch out for: The first mechanic said he would need to remove the motor mounts and jack the engine up in order to get to the torx head screws...BIG RED FLAG! The engine DOES NOT need to jacked up or moved to replace the O-ring.

Guess which mechanic will now be doing the work on Sonny Boy's Jeep? Yep...mechanic # 2 who actually knows what he is doing.

I will send another message with the blower info as that involves the same 2 mechanics and yes...mechanic # 2 is also right on this one.

Sonny Boy is happy because he finally got to park on the driveway tonight. I love a happy ending. sniff Later...Mike
McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
AlohaBra
AF Enthusiast

Re: Sonny Boy's '94 6 Cyl Oil Filter Adapter Leak fixed

Good thing they did away with that adapter in 97+ models.
Edit...I was wrong here...they still have a 90 degree adapter, buta mine is not leaking.

Last edited by AlohaBra; 09-20-2006 at 10:19 AM.
AlohaBra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Never_grew_up
AF Newbie

Re: Sonny Boy's '94 6 Cyl Oil Filter Adapter Leak fixed

I have a 96 cherokee w/the same problem. Can I ask what it cost you to get it fixed?
Never_grew_up is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee