Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
chrisnz
AF Newbie

'97 2.0 running hot

i have a '97 ford contour with the 2.0. a while ago it overheated - i didn't know it until i actually heard hissing from the radiator cap because the temperature gauge never read much of anything. i replaced the temp gauge sensor and that works fine now - the problem is that the engine is always running hot (at least according to the gauge, which is usually reading around the 'L' in NORMAL).

The fan won't kick in until it reaches the extreme end of the normal zone, almost in the red. even then it doesn't really even cool it off. i replaced the other temperature sensor (the one for the engine management system) thinking that it might be the one that the cooling fan reacted to. the fan still doesn't kick in until gauge is reading extremely hot (but does if i run a/c or defrost or disconnect the sensor housing)

I replaced the thermostat as well - i'm fairly certain that the coolant is cycling through the system fine (i flushed it out as well). i checked the water pump and i couldn't find anything wrong with it - i bought the car with 120k miles on it and so i'm sure it must have already been replaced - they usually fail around 70k don't they?

So, right now i drive it with the temperature sensor disconnected so the fan runs on high all the time, this keeps the temperature manageable (the temperature gauge hovers around 'AL'). still this is not good. any ideas? the catalytic converter? the resister on the fan housing? the relays? what are the relative costs of each fix and in what order should i try them out? any help is much appreciated. thanks.
chrisnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec
Re: '97 2.0 running hot

when the car is running, squeeze the hose going into the thermostat housing and see if it's pulsating, If not. Coolant isn't running through the system. My car, was actually doing the same thing a few days ago. Turned out to be a faulty thermostat.

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
chrisnz
AF Newbie

i've already replaced the thermostat - it shouldn't be a problem. both the upper and the lower radiator hoses get warm when the car gets up to temperature and there is an exchange of fluid in the reservoir. both of these things seem to indicate to me that the thermostat is working fine.

the problem is that even with the cooling fan running on high all the time(because i've disconnected the temperature sensor) and coolant presumably flowing through the system, that the temperature gauge is still reading around the 'L' in NORMAL. I can manage if it's cool enough out but if the ambient temp. is up there then i'll have to blast the heat and stop periodically.

i thought maybe the problem is a result of a clogged catalytic converter - i've read a few posts that point that direction. any other ideas? thanks for the time to read and replying.
chrisnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

I'm aware that you replaced your thermostat, I replaced mine about 3 months ago and now I found out it was faulty. But, The way you're talkin, That shouldn't be the problem.

I honestly don't have an idea on whats wrong, Although people at http://contour.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php (post under troubleshooting or zetec maintenece) Could possibly give you tons of insight on your problem.

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
ChadEbert
AF Enthusiast

Check countour.org and look in the "forums" section, I've gotten TONS of help lately in there.

Good luck with it!
~C
ChadEbert is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour