Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
fastboy7
AF Newbie

'95 2.0 idle prob

Hey guys I got a 95 contour 2.0. I bought the car about two weeks ago off of a buddy of mine.He told me he thought the timing belt was out and aftetr looking I had to replace the whole timing set due to a bad tensioner.My problem is now that the car doesnt idle to well.I replaced the plugs,plug wires,and throttle position sensor.That didn't seem to help anything.So now being pretty frustrated I dont know where to go from here.I thought maybe the valve timing was off but the car runs and starts to good.Like I said its got pretty good power just doesn't want to idle.Any help would be appreciated
fastboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
BeoWolfe
AF Newbie

Re: '95 2.0 idle prob

Greetings,

To replace the timing belt you usually have to remove the plastic air inlet plentum that bolts down on top of the throttle body. There is a large o-ring that is supposed to seal between this inlet and the throttle body. The o-ring has a groove in the inlet that it sits in and its not uncommon for that o-ring to roll out of that groove when you take the inlet off and then when you put the inlet back on the o-ring won't seal worth a crap.

Pull the inlet back off and check this o-ring
BeoWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeoWolfe
Greetings,

To replace the timing belt you usually have to remove the plastic air inlet plentum that bolts down on top of the throttle body. There is a large o-ring that is supposed to seal between this inlet and the throttle body. The o-ring has a groove in the inlet that it sits in and its not uncommon for that o-ring to roll out of that groove when you take the inlet off and then when you put the inlet back on the o-ring won't seal worth a crap.

Pull the inlet back off and check this o-ring
umm. No.

to replace the timing belt you have to replace the timing belt.. Not the 'o-ring'- don't even know what your talking about.

short on time but here goes.

put jack under motor.

loosen the motor mount, remove.

jack up car, remove right wheel.

remove the splash guard, remove serpentine belt.

remove idler pulley, remove upper timing cover.

remove valve cover, lock cams.

loosen timing belt tensioner, pull on it to get tension on the belt.

tighten, as tight as you can get, if its not tight enough repeat step above.

unlock cams, put valve cover on (may need new gasket).

put timing cover back on, install idler pulley.

install serp. belt, put splash cover on.

put wheel on, let car down.

put motor mount back on, take jack out from underneith motor.

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
BeoWolfe
AF Newbie

Ummm, yes ... well I suppose you can fight around it but I pull the large black air plentum that goes over the throttle body (the oring that you have no idea about is what gets people in trouble - because no one knows about it so its so easy to have it fall out of place with out knowing it and then reassemble it with tghe oring out of sorts).

The top motor mount is "U" is shaped, one of nuts that is on the top left of the "U" is hard to slip an impact socket on without removing the black plastic air plentum.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

why do you need to take the intake off?

are you telling me the 5 cars I've changed timing belts on i did them wrong because i DIDN'T take the plenium off?

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
BeoWolfe
AF Newbie

For the sake of the owners of those 5 cars - I sure hope you wrench better than you read :P

I never said take off the intake - I said the black plastic plentem that goes over the throttle body. I never said your doing it wrong, I clearly said you can do it with out taking it off ("well I suppose you can fight around it ") and then I clearly explained why I do ("The top motor mount is "U" is shaped, one of nuts that is on the top left of the "U" is hard to slip an impact socket on without removing the black plastic air plentum.".

Last edited by BeoWolfe; 06-13-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Ok I see what you're saying there, if you use an extenstion it will clear it without taking the plenium off, i suppose you could if you want to use an air ratchet (I don't use many air tools).

01' Chevy Blazer, DD.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour