Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Anything you ever wanted to know about boosting the performance of your Cavalier.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #31
inarifennec
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to inarifennec Send a message via MSN to inarifennec Send a message via Yahoo to inarifennec
Re: How to disable the speed governer/limiter?

I have a story.

Was heading home after work in my cavy and this guy Devin, I knew him but not personally, had just bought a dodge Neon SRT-4. And of course he pulls to the left of me, gasses it and wants to race, I don't so he just pretty much races himself and yeah talks shit about my car the next day big deal. Just a few days ago I saw his Neon. The entire right corner, Fender, Bumper. Parts of the door. Were completely mashed up and destroyed. the guy refuses to comment to me.

I assume he was doing what he does best, racing, came up behind a car that was braking and had to turn into the left lane to avoid. Now his nice shiny Neon is just as good as the next POS on the road. The guy can't afford to pay the other driver, legal fees, etc and have his car fixed. his insurance is probably through the roof, so his car will probably be this way for a while.

my point is, It's just not worth the risk. With all these horror stories people tell me, darn right I listen, Now I'm not 100% innocent I have raced before. but I do my best to have enough sense to just say no. It's really not worth all the crap that could happen, just like it's been said; "you can't control every factor on the road" so why risk it?

Inari

Former car - 1984 Nissan 200SX .... Died in a Tragic head on collision, the pizza delivery girl never saw me supposedly... ><
Old 02-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #32
KustmAce
Grande Boleros de Fuego

Alright everyone, please, no more street racing stories. If you have anything to add regarding your approval or disapproval to removing the limiter, or anything else related to the governor, feel free to post it. I dont want to have to lock this thread for spiralling too far off track.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:33 PM   #33
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Re: Re: How to dissable the Speed governer/limiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jayson-
Copied from a JBODY.ORG thread

"In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.
Now 135 deaths is nothing to sneeze at, and I consider all of them tragedies. But, in order to get to the truth of the matter, we need to see how many total traffic fatalities there were in 2001. From information on the NHTSA's site, we find there were 41,979 total fatalities on U.S. roadways in 2001. Now, recall a little bit of middle school math, and that comes out to 0.3% of all traffic fatalities being related to street racing."
What is that new math? You failed in accounting the required factors. If there was 1350 street races in 2001 and we had 135 deaths that would make a 10% death rate from street racers. And if you had 42 million cars and 42 thousand deaths. This would be more of a comparsion.

Street racing kills innocent people of the 42 thousand road deaths how many were caused by speeders cutting off drivers. Break down all the deaths by catagories. You took one group of car accidents and compared them to all deaths.,
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Old 02-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #34
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Re: Re: How to disable the speed governer/limiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAdept
i have yet to see where he has one point on me. guess in blind. you know what else causes deaths? tylenol. oh yeah, table salt does it too! if some moron inhales it... get my drift? besides, this is just an opinion pole, no matter what he says, im still going to go out there every day and have fun, thats the point of a sports car. no matter what i say i wont be able to sway his mind either. somewhat of a silly conversation in that sense.
You are the reason why car makers need to install speed limiters.

Hope that I never get your car to work on becaus ethe first thing to go would be your butcher job on the car.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Old 02-25-2005, 09:07 PM   #35
TunerAdept
AF Enthusiast

i appologize if i had offended anyone. ill leave this as my last post on this issue, and ill keep it non-offensive. originally i set out to agree with the point that speed limiters should not be removed, and for that i get called various names. if you believe this or not, i actually plan on being a traffic cop in about 3 months. oh yeah, i do feel better about myself with each win under my belt. you wanna race that skyline against my camaro ill do it but only on stakes, i win you fill my nos tank i doubt your skline can hold a candle to it. dont get me wrong, i love skylines, but in the realm of reality...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #36
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Alright everyone, please, no more street racing stories. If you have anything to add regarding your approval or disapproval to removing the limiter, or anything else related to the governor, feel free to post it. I dont want to have to lock this thread for spiralling too far off track.
With that in place....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAdept
....you wanna race that skyline against my camaro ill do it but only on stakes, i win you fill my nos tank i doubt your skline can hold a candle to it. dont get me wrong, i love skylines, but in the realm of reality...

Well since that was your last post about this whole issue. I'll just point out the realm that you once again didn't read. NO MORE FUCKING POSTS ON STREET RACING!!!!..... ahhh i feel better already.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 02-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #37
big dude1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicrocjunkie
Damn public... you got 1 inch and 30 lbs on me..Guess i am not only the big guy in here.
hey im six foot and weigh 270.... but it aint fat

2001 Z24 cavi, and it owns
Old 02-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #38
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: How to dissable the Speed governer/limiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrater
What is that new math? You failed in accounting the required factors. If there was 1350 street races in 2001 and we had 135 deaths that would make a 10% death rate from street racers. And if you had 42 million cars and 42 thousand deaths. This would be more of a comparsion.

Street racing kills innocent people of the 42 thousand road deaths how many were caused by speeders cutting off drivers. Break down all the deaths by catagories. You took one group of car accidents and compared them to all deaths.,
wtf is your point man? Listen according to source, 135 fatal crashes occured BECAUSE of street racing. That doesnt mean the person in the race died, it could very well be an innoncent bistander. They would be included in the total since their death would be a result of STREET RACING. In case you didnt see, .03% of ALL FATALITIES RELATED TO AUTOMOBILES WERE BECAUSE OF STREET RACING. Someone speeding alone down the street is not a street racer. If you think your can race yourself, your belong in the special olympics.

SouthEast Ecotec Enthusiast
Old 02-25-2005, 11:22 PM   #39
big dude1
AF Regular

anyways.... so whens someone gonna be stupid enough to ASK how to remove it? this thread will turn to 50 pages long...

Old 02-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #40
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

I'd like to see some newbie step up and attempt it. In all reality its somthing quite simple and can be done by your average joe. Or even is someone is good at the internet they could find it pretty quick. lol... i think my new motto should be " save a life(s) and bash a noob on VSS modification"

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 02-25-2005, 11:47 PM   #41
big dude1
AF Regular

do it!!!

Old 02-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #42
01Cavy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 01Cavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dude1
anyways.... so whens someone gonna be stupid enough to ASK how to remove it? this thread will turn to 50 pages long...
Just to satisfy your tastes, and to get this thread back on track...How do you remove the speed limiter?

Please don't hurt me CRJ

P.S. I really don't want to know, but for those who are afraid to ask...show them why they shouldnt ask!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #43
public
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: How to disable the speed governer/limiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dude1
hey im six foot and weigh 270.... but it aint fat
I would weigh more but my head is full of hot air.

Yes, I am retarded.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #44
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

this is dumb anways, ill bet not more than 2 people know how to do it on here anways. It was funny to see all the people who claimed to know how to do it when i posted the wrong way to do it earlier. I mean people thought it was real, i said the speedometer would stick at 88MPH, the same speed needed for time travel. Anyone here see back to the future? All you need now is a flux capacitator.

SouthEast Ecotec Enthusiast
Old 02-26-2005, 01:40 PM   #45
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe

on a mk2 mr2 it's the purple and white wire on the ecu plugout...

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Performance