Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
bigbillm66
AF Newbie

94 Nissan Pickup Won't Start

Hello,
I have a 94 Nissan Pickup/stick. A few months back it would not start when I turned the key. I would hear a click (behind the firewall), but the starter would not do anything. I replaced the starter (bought at Autozone) and the truck ran fine up until the other day. Once again, turned the key, held in the clutch and nothing. Tried tapping the started with a wooden stick and still would not start. I took out the starter and had it tested at Autozone. At first they said the starter was bad, than they compared it to a new starter and said it was good. I re-installed my original starter and tried to start the car again. No luck, it still would not start. Kept turning the key and eventually the truck started. It has started every time over the past several days. My concern is that it will not start again. I was told about the possible windings issue (only occurs when you land on that single winding), but shouldn't they have detected a bad winding during their test. Also, kind of suspicious that two starters would have the same problem and only happen every few months. Any ideas? Thanks.
Bill
bigbillm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #2
scarredpelt
AF Newbie

Sounds like you aren't pulling enough juice from the battery. Check the water level in the cells and do a load test. Autozone can do this also.
IF that doesn't do it, check to ensure that you have a good ground on the firewall and check the connections to the solenoid.
scarredpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
bigbillm66
AF Newbie

Had Autozone provide me another rebuilt Starter. Had to convince them that the one they sold me three months ago was bad. Since replaced the starter and have not had an issue, started each and every time. Goes to prove, just because the part is only a few months old, it can still go bad.

Bill
Old 05-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
PygmyCowboy
AF Newbie

I have an 86 1/2 Hardbody 2.4L 4x4 that has given me intermittent starting problems for probably 10 years in one form or another. Many things replaced like inhibitor relay, starter ignition switch, and a new starter from one of the 'CarQuest/AutoZone' like places. I asked a friend to do it, but I don't remember where he got it.

After the starter was replaced, it started about a half dozen times before the intermittent problem recurred. Lived with this situation a long time (parking on hills for insurance), and after more troubleshooting without success finally took it to a dealer. They said it was the starter solenoid, and put in a new 'factory' starter for $553! ($289 for the starter alone.)

So far so good........starts every time......so I'm wondering if it's just poorly manufactured solenoids that are out there on these cores causing a lot of havoc. Does anybody know where good solenoids can be found by themselves? I still have the original hitachi core that I'd like to mate up to one to have as a spare.

I still carry around a spare inhibitor relay as well these days.
PygmyCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
bigbillm66
AF Newbie

Starting problem has come back. After replacing the starter, truck started everytime for a few days, than it became intermittent again. Last weekend took out the starter and confirm I had good connections. A couple of the connectors were exposed, so I applied electrical tape. Started fine for a day, than back to intermittent. Now it will not start at all. I bought a new ignition switch, only $28.00 and easy to install.

I wonder if it is the solenoid. I have used the parking on the hill and it does start every time in this manner. What is the inhibitor relay? Is this a way to bypass the Solenoid? I'm willing to try anything.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
bigbillm66
AF Newbie

Replaced the ignition switch and the truck would still not start, so I took off the starter again last night. I now can get it off in minutes, I've done it so many times. With the starter off, placed a wire from the battery to the large connector on the Solenoid. Turned the key and once again nothing happened. Pulled the connector that goes to the small cable off the the solenoid, this is the cable that goes to the key switch. Shorted this small connector directly to the battery and the starter turned. Apparently, I have a problem with this small cable that goes back to the key switch. I have no wiring diagram, so will have to try and trace it back. Also, not sure how the key gets it's power. It appears I either have a problem with the power going to the key or the cable from the key to the Starter Solenoid. At least I narrowed it down.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
PygmyCowboy
AF Newbie

Don't know if it will help, but the inhibitor relay on my 86 1/2 hardbody is on the passenger side near the battery. I put a photo up in my member gallery if you'd like to take a look. Not sure if your model has one.

It can be bypassed by shorting out two of the connectors on the underside....I made a spade to spade wire. It's been awhile, but I believe the two connectors on the 'front' side of the relay....in the image, the connectors with the red plastic on the plug....are the ones to use for bypassing the relay. Sorry I don't have the time to check this out for you myself.....so be careful!

When you go to a Nissan dealer, they'll be the first to tell you that they sell a lot of these. I think you can get them for half the dealer price at rockauto.com . At RockAuto mine looks something like this:

http://www.rockauto.com/ref/ACDelco/...html?E1788.jpg

Let us know what you find out......I've come across several people who still haven't completely solved this sort of intermittent problem.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
bigbillm66
AF Newbie

Replaced the Ignition Relay (Dealer $25.00). With the Starter still removed and cables connected, turned the ignition key and the starter turned. Thought I had the problem fixed. Re-installed the starter and the truck turned over on the first few tries. Tried again the next day and it went back to being intermittent. I pulled the connector off the Ignition Relay and applied power directly to the small cable going from the Relay to the Starter Solenoid and the Starter turns. It has to be something between the Ignition Relay and the key Switch. Possibly the Clutch Safety Switch. I rigged two 5' cables that I extend from the Relay Connecter and the Battery through the window of the truck. For now, I start the truck by having the key turned on and shorting the two wires together. It gets me where I'm going, but still need to find the root of the problem. Autozone told me the Clutch Saftey Switch is a dealer part. Not sure of the cost, but I believe this is the last remaining switch/relay in line with the ignition key. I suppose I can try and short (bypass) the Clutch Safety Switch and run a test, if I can find where it is located.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
PygmyCowboy
AF Newbie

At the risk of leading you further astray, I've put up a diagram from the 86 1/2 Factory Service Manual in my gallery. It may not apply, but serve as some sort of guide. In the past, I've shorted out the clutch interlock switch while troubleshooting, but it didn't solve my problem.

According to this diagram, there's possibly even another (or two!) clutch switch that I just now came across in the manual. Something is screwy about that, though.........as I don't see any other switches in the wiring diagram except for the clutch interlock switch. And I don't see anything that looks quite like those two switches under the dash.

I kind of like your double 5' wire solution... 8^) . If mine ever acts up again, I might just try that and attach a momentary switch under the dash! As long as you have to have the key in it, I don't think I'd mind that setup.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
bigbillm66
AF Newbie

Thanks. I'll take a look for the switches under the dash. I'll try and bypass the switch.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
PygmyCowboy
AF Newbie

One other thing that recently happened to me was the plastic disk on the back of the cluth pedal arm that engages the clutch switch broke off so that the clutch switch wouldn't get pushed in. I think this thing can wear which can result in weak engagement of the switch.
Just something to be aware of in the future.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #12
pilotlicense
AF Newbie

Re: 94 Nissan Pickup Won't Start

I have been having the same exact problem with my 1994 Nissan pickup as well. The starter began acting up a few weeks ago, where it would not crank when I'd try the key. I replaced the starter and it didn't do a single thing to fix the problem (although the starter was the origonal on the truck with 160k miles). I started unplugging and plugging the relays under the hood to make sure they were all seated properly, and still nothing when I tried to start it. I finally opened the fuse panel under the driver side, ran my thumb over the bank of fuses just to feel if any were loose. I then tried starting the truck again, and it fired right up. I figured that was the problem, and it was starting perfectly for a couple days. Now it's back to the same issue as before; won't start. My guess is possibly either a bad relay in the fuse box (i checked all the fuses), or else a loose wire perhaps? I'm also wondering if possibly it could be the ignition switch on the column..
pilotlicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #13
timmytim
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to timmytim

i used to have a 94 nissan pickup with the same problem bigbill. i tried everything. in my case it was the clutch safety switch. lay on your back on the driver side floorboard, and look up at where the clutch mounts to the firewall. you will see a switch that gets pushed in when you apply the clutch. attached to the switch are two wires (colors vary, mine were both black). connect these two wires together preferably with t-taps and male spade connectors. this will bypass the switch. HOWEVER: this will also allow you to start your truck in gear with out the clutch being pushed in. Be careful as your truck will lunge forward if it's not in neutral or the clutch isnt pushed in. hope that helps.
timmytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
pilotlicense
AF Newbie

Yep, that's what mine ended up being also. The connectors that keep the wires connected to the switch were loose. Messed around with everything last night for about 3 hours until I ran across that one.
pilotlicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:05 AM   #15
john ranck
AF Newbie

Thanks for letting me sit in. I just recently experienced the same problem you are describing. Turns out it was just like scarredpelt suggested....low electrolyte. I wont say how many hours it took me until I inspected the spot where I should have started from. Thanks for the heads up!
john ranck is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Older Pickups