Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
eku93
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to eku93 Send a message via MSN to eku93 Send a message via Yahoo to eku93
Re: Silverado 4WD Front Differential Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado122775
YOu may have a problem with the automatic locking hubs.

Nice truck, mine is identical to yours. Same paint scheme. BEAUTIFUL!!
eku93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
idmetro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipr
Whats "idmetro" mean?
It's a reference to my living in Idaho's metropolitan area (tongue in cheek description of the Boise area).
idmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #18
skipr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmetro
It's a reference to my living in Idaho's metropolitan area (tongue in cheek description of the Boise area).
Oh ok, I thought maybe your last name is Metro. My is and I never found anyone else with that last name.
skipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #19
kbeefy
AF Newbie

my goodness. Sorry to dredge up an old thread... I'm just here to rant. If you don't have knowledge in the subject then you should probably leave it alone.

Chevys haven't had hubs of any sort since 88, xcept 'burbs, k5's and 3500's until '91.
No front end I'm aware of ever had a posi or clutches of any sort.
Lockers don't break CV's, Aggresive tires and right feet break them.
The basics of power distribution are the same in a solid axle as it is in an IFS, at least on a fullsize. Theres probably some wussy escalade or something that has a fulltime t-case but the rest of the silverados (I believe, and could be wrong) have part time tcases without any clutches. Therefore you'll still notice a difference in 4x, unless your on one heck of a slippery spot.
Someone please corect me if these run a viscous coupling or some other torque sensitive tcase, I'm not up on the 99- trucks.

JJ - your just an idiot. How Ironic that you accuse EKU of being mistaken or inexperienced. See above.
IFS doesn't mean: independent front axil, its Independent Front Suspension. Chevys don't have posi's in the front axle, and are actually different than the rear axle... but if they did it would behave opposite of what you suggest, posi's try to pull with both tires. Fortunatly for you, you actually described an open axle, which is what the truck has.

Eku... I'm sure you've allready fixed this but if not I'd check the wiring tothe front axle and the front axle disconnect.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #20
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eku93
Nice truck, mine is identical to yours. Same paint scheme. BEAUTIFUL!!
Thank you!

2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N GenII Air Intake, Y-pipe Exhaust (no muffler), Bosch Platnium +4 plugs, 242k miles and still running.
silverado122775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #21
jumpingjack66
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jumpingjack66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy
my goodness. Sorry to dredge up an old thread... I'm just here to rant. If you don't have knowledge in the subject then you should probably leave it alone.

Chevys haven't had hubs of any sort since 88, xcept 'burbs, k5's and 3500's until '91.
No front end I'm aware of ever had a posi or clutches of any sort.
Lockers don't break CV's, Aggresive tires and right feet break them.
The basics of power distribution are the same in a solid axle as it is in an IFS, at least on a fullsize. Theres probably some wussy escalade or something that has a fulltime t-case but the rest of the silverados (I believe, and could be wrong) have part time tcases without any clutches. Therefore you'll still notice a difference in 4x, unless your on one heck of a slippery spot.
Someone please corect me if these run a viscous coupling or some other torque sensitive tcase, I'm not up on the 99- trucks.

JJ - your just an idiot. How Ironic that you accuse EKU of being mistaken or inexperienced. See above.
IFS doesn't mean: independent front axil, its Independent Front Suspension. Chevys don't have posi's in the front axle, and are actually different than the rear axle... but if they did it would behave opposite of what you suggest, posi's try to pull with both tires. Fortunatly for you, you actually described an open axle, which is what the truck has.

Eku... I'm sure you've allready fixed this but if not I'd check the wiring tothe front axle and the front axle disconnect.
Beefy You say i am the ediot and you admit you don't know about 99 and up trucks while spouting as if you do?
Check yourself fool. yes these new trucks do have a viscous drive in the transfers with the auto lock featureno they are not locked like a posi they are open . I was pointing out that if you try to put a locking system in them they break half shafts. i have not tried this , one of the most well known four wheel drive magazines have, recently, maybe you should try to read and listen more then you talk, your not very good at it...jj
2000 Silverado Victory Red, standard cab, short bed, short wheelbase, 4X4, 4.8L, 5 speed, 4:10 locking rear diff, K&n FIPK, Ryno lined all the way over bed rail, heavy half suspension,factory skid plates,Fog lights, BFG 285/75/16 A/T's, dashmat, Stealth Radar.
lots of special options some installed by me!

1980 Suzuki GS1100E Super fast
jumpingjack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #22
JDCowboy
AF Newbie

So did you ever figure this problem out. i have the same problem on my truck, and thought that it might come in handy to see what you did to finally fix yours.
Can the clutches in the Xfer case be bad and still have the truck work well in 4whl drive. My front does not pull at all. The front actuator works. I am not sure if my Xfer case is actually ingaging at this point. I need to pull the electric shift motor to see if it is working, I can hear it motoring but cannot be sure that it is actually moving the insides gears.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
JDCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #23
Pascal Whissell
AF Newbie

I have the same exact problem when I bought the truck message service say ( 4x4 services ) I change the inside switch the message stop still nothing at the front will then I change the front diff actuator still nothing then I clean the ground for the transfer case 4 x 4 I can hear bolt actuators engaging but still noting in the front diff I wonder if the clutch in the transfer case is crap could everything worked fine but the traction in the front wheel , and even if the 4x4 low gear or working ( but still noting in the front diff ) ???? All light work in the 4 x 4 switch like it should ... when I press the 4x4 lights on then I here the transfer case actuator and then the light blink until I hear different diff actuator and then stay lit still nothing work in the front differential
Pascal Whissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #24
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

I hate getting into old threads, but WTH??

So try this: Put it in 4HI or 4LO and then move back and forth 6-10 feet. Now shut it down and set the parking brake. Jack the front wheels off the ground and install jack stands. Now try to turn the drive shaft to the front axle from the T-Case. You should not be able to turn it no matter how much torque you put to it. Another way is to just have one front wheel (left front??) off the ground and try to turn it.

If your able to do any of the "should not be able to do" then most likely the T-Case clutches are "toast".

Good Luck to you.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #25
j cAT
AF Fanatic

this is an old posting of another member like 10 yrs old. being a new member this type of action most times is not good to help you or others with vehicle issues. causes confusion ..

so create a new posting with your problem and you also post what exact truck you are with issues, including the servicing/mileage/work done/ troubleshooting/fluid checking/drive train failure codes.

it appears you did not get those codes so you guessed on the issue you have ... I never have heard any member replace the dash push button switch to get the front wheels to engage to the rear wheels .. the switch normally when it goes bad/solder joint causes a service 4wd light to come on because the computer will sense a bad circuit connection . that circuit is 8 volts DC......
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado