Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #31
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: "Service 4WD Switch Error Message"

Buckeye, Welcome to AF. Since this is an older thread you might not get the best response...I'd suggest starting a new thread, with the same information above and also noting the mileage on your Jeep.

Apologies but I don't have a solution for your problem...one other thing, reference this thread in your new post, it will help folks help you.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 AM   #32
dragon5126
AF Newbie

Buckeye, depending on your transfercase you may or may not be having a transmission problem. If it's a part time 4wd it's the transmission, if its full time, with quadra track it might be the transfer case. The full time transfer cases use a fluidic clutch system similar to a torque converter in operation, if it loses too much fluid it will slip just as you describe, but so will an automatic transmission. The transfer case is more forgiving, but it only has about 3 pints of fluid in it,,, not very much. However loss of enough fluid in a transmission to cause this amount of slipping is a very serious issue and can cause other damage to the transmission. Check fluid levels in both if the tranny fluid is up to the proper level, not burnt smelling or foamy then it probably is the transfercase providing it is a full time 4wd system. if its part time, look to the transmission.
dragon5126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #33
brianmason@rogers.
AF Newbie

I have a 1996 grand cherokee and has 5.2 but i purchased a 5.7 hemi and tranny from 2005 grand cherokee and wonder if any one has tried this exchange and if so could use help before i begin swap
mounts
driveshaft
wiring
thanks
brian
brianmason@rogers. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #34
buckeyebossman
AF Newbie

Yeah, I think that I have to replace the clutch kit in the transmission. I changed the fluid and replaced the filter, then added fluid to the transfer case, but still slipping. My neighbor is a mechanic and thinks the same thing, since when I removed the transmission pan, there was a lot of "grease" on the magnet, which I was told is the gripping residue from the clutch mechanisms between the gears. If I am wrong, or you think that it could be something else, please let me know. Thanks for your help.
buckeyebossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #35
dragon5126
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebossman View Post
Yeah, I think that I have to replace the clutch kit in the transmission. I changed the fluid and replaced the filter, then added fluid to the transfer case, but still slipping. My neighbor is a mechanic and thinks the same thing, since when I removed the transmission pan, there was a lot of "grease" on the magnet, which I was told is the gripping residue from the clutch mechanisms between the gears. If I am wrong, or you think that it could be something else, please let me know. Thanks for your help.
When it comes to Auto trannies, it cant hurt. Personally I would replace the filter, powerflush the tranny and see what happens from there first, unless you aren't afraid of putting the work into a high mileage transmission. If it (power flushing) brings you back into operating condition (at minimal cost) I'd baby it while looking for a lower mileage tranny to either swap out or rebuild and swap out depending on your skills, abilities and how long you intend to keep the 'rokee. Bottom line when it comes to any high mileage vehicle is how much you are willing to spend on it. If the engine is strong, the rest of the driveline is good and the body is functional (or better), the tranny work may be worth it. But as most people really are not aware of, the auto-transmission, is the single most expensive part of the driveline on a modern vehicle, and this is the make or break expense as all too often it is more than the book value of an older vehicle. Most of us had to dispose of a vehicle that we loved at one time or another, as the cost of repairs were well beyond the real value and personal value we have for it.
dragon5126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #36
mipaoc
AF Newbie

I have a 95 limited and have had the crap annoyed out of me with this chime. I removed the chime box and opened it. Inside there is a clip holding the circuit board down. Remove it and reinstall the box. The chime is not audible when I drive but I can still hear it when I leave my lights on after I turn the vehicle off. And there is no effect to anything else.
mipaoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #37
Rjbrad
AF Newbie

After 3 years of searching for the cause of the annoying Service 4 wheel drive switch, I have found the problem!
Pull your VIC out of the car and take apart to expose the solder area of the back connector. My VIC had bad solder joints from the ageing and vibrations. I scratched off the conformal coating on the solder area and re-solder all connections. I put it back together and re-installed in the Jeep. Have not had one error since.
Rjbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
cvg1950
AF Newbie

this is a common prob. with 93-98 models. If you don't mind the notice appearing, but merely want the 'beep-beep' to stop, simply disconnect the brown wire coming out the switch itself (on top of transfer case). This will have no effect whatsoever on the performance of the transfer case or the working of the 4x4. Nothing in the mechanical workings of your 4x4 (transfer case, etc.) is electric..its all mechanical. Disconnecting this wire will merely disable the notification lights on which range (4w High, 4w Low) your vehicle is in...which simply looking at the selector will tell you.. lol..but will also disable the warning 'beep-beep' that is so annoying. This warning as no effect on the actual mechanical workings of the 4x4, not 'fixing it' will not harm your vehicle. Just a quick fix for those without the bucks to "try' and fix it, or those who are only worried about potential harm to the vehicle... no problem.. just annoying!!
cvg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #39
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Thanks for the solution guys. Since this is a common issue, it's worth a sticky.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #40
clementine99
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: "Service 4WD Switch Error Message"

thanks for all of you , you are very helpful
clementine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #41
Cewcamp
AF Newbie

Would anybody be able to tell me exactly where I can find the sensor to try to replace it I read the whole entire form but cannot find an explanation of where exactly it is. I'm having this happen in a 1993 Jeep grand Cherokee if that helps.
Cewcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #42
Jroot1969
AF Newbie

I too am having this problem. At first it was just e beeping and the message, the tranny was going out and I had it re built. Now at the VIC is says "LO" and drives fine but turns like it is in low. is this maybe a switch problem , a vacuum problem or a fluid problem? I love this jeep and would love to get it fixed for peace of mind but also so I do not cause more problems by letting it go.
Mine is a 95 Grand LTD auto tranny
Jroot1969 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8