Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
jstiff1
AF Newbie

95 Achieva not starting

Hi all,

I've got a 1995 Olds Achieva that does nothing when the key is turned. I have an aftermarket key without a security chip that has worked for years. When I turn the key to the on position, the dash lights up as it is supposed to and I can hear what I believe to be the fuel pump come on for a second or two. Once I turn the key to start the car, nothing happens at all. The dash lights all go off as they would normally when starting, but nothing else occurs; no clicking sounds, no turn over, just dead as if there were no battery in the car. The battery is fully charged btw. This occurred while I was on the road two or three times, but after turning the key off and back on again, it started the car. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any help I could get.

Joel
jstiff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 Achieva not starting

I would put a voltmeter on the battery when you try a start. If you can jumper the starter with 12volts and it cranks. You have bypassed the neutral safety switch, ignition switch and battery cable.
aleekat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aleekat For This Useful Post:
jstiff1 (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
jstiff1
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply, aleekat. I don't have a voltmeter on hand yet, but I'll pick one up. I was able to jump from the battery to the starter and it did crank and start. So, should I check for continuity between the ends of the battery cable? That would get it down to the ignition switch and neutral safety switch. Also, since it started, does that rule out any fuses? Like a dummy, I didn't even check those yet. I'm really grateful for your help.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
jstiff1
AF Newbie

Ok, after putting it in gear after I had it running, the car still ran, so I ruled out the neutral safety switch. I bit the bullet and bought and replaced the ignition switch and no change. Still no crank. I did turn the key with the engine running to see if the starter would grind and it does not. Does that mean the starter solenoid is not engaging? Any help would be appreciated.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > General Discussion