Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
DuncanEK3
AF Enthusiast

Tamiya spray work basic compressor & airbrush any good?

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAM74520

Basically I want a reliable airbrush & compressor, and the Tamiyas seems well priced compared to what I can buy here in the UK. Anyone have any views? Can I get spare parts from the Tamiya USA if anything goes wrong?

Duncan
DuncanEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Sumo-kun
AF Newbie

Well, depending on your budget you can get a really nice aribrush compressor combo for about 150-200 quid. First the airbrush. I've got a Tamiya super fine jobby and that was a real big improvement over the crappy Revell one I bought for about the same price! I got it from HLJ. It costs more than the airbrush/compressor but it is way better. The airbrush in the combo is a bottom feed one I think which means problems cleaning and general crappiness. You need a pretty high pressure compressor to properly work one with acrylics and although I'm sure the compressor included will make it spray somewhat but I doubt it'll be able to handle any high pressure work. I bought a crappy compressor like that Tamiya one a while ago because I was using air cans all the time but it was seriously crap. It could barely power my airbrush to spray larger areas than a pea. OK for detailing but not for body coverage.
For the compressor, go to machinemart.co.uk and look there for the air compressors. They are definitely high pressure enough for hobby use and they are real cheap compared to the hobby compressors. I think the cheapest one there is about 70 quid. They are so cheap compared to the hobby ones because they are relatively loud. About vacuum cleaner loud.
Then after you get them you just need some hoses and a moisture trap/pressure regulator and you're set! You probably won't need anything else.
One word of advice though. DON'T skimp on the equipment! If you get good stuff from the beginning you shouldn't ever need to replace it. You could try getting the airbrush first and then using a cheaper source of air (tyres, air cans) until you save enough for the compressor but you'll regret it if you just settle for a basic cheap setup. Have fun!
Sumo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Sumo-kun
AF Newbie

Actually, the Tamiya is a gravity feed. Oops! BUT, the compressor can only output 15 psi MAX. That really is not enough considering that the compressor will lose pressure as it is used. Don't get it!!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
Kasso
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kasso Send a message via MSN to Kasso Send a message via Yahoo to Kasso
Re: Tamiya spray work basic compressor & airbrush any good?

is 30 psi good for airbrushing? what was the pressure rating on the one u say that "It could barely power my airbrush to spray larger areas than a pea."

and i asked around about This and i havent heard anything negative about it yet. and plus its upgradeable with different nozzles and paint-feed cups.

1995 Acura Integra Special Edition (something real special about a 5000 rpm changeover... )
Kasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya spray work basic compressor & airbrush any good?

I've done numerous professional work with Tamiya Spray Work, and also won many contests. Never had any problem with it. Although it was working perfectly, I sold the basic one to replace with the upgraded Revo, and it's just as good.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
Grampas Club
AF Newbie

I use 20PSI max on my Iwata SmartJet compressor...sometimes as low as 15. That's as much as you want for a nice finish.

TAMIYA makes good stuff- they're basic airbrush is fine for all but the finest of detail work. Fukuda-san's work is amazing- the models on his webpage vouch for his skill, and the airbrush also.

My $.02...

In Progress

Finished
Grampas Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Sumo-kun
AF Newbie

The crappy one I got could probably do 15 psi MAX too. It was really very weak. I prefer the flexibility of a higher psi compressor. Not sure about the Testors one. Looks the same as the Tamiya in terms of specs. If you really need a airbrush right now then I suppose the Tamiya would do you but I can almost guarantee you will outgrow it quickly. I had my first airbrush for about a month before I replaced it with the Tamiya one I have now.