Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
KathrynStone
AF Newbie

Re: Fan / Overheating problem... 94 Grand Prix

Hi Tech II,

Can I burp out of the radiator outlet? The inlet to the radiator is low on the radiator on the water pump side so I think I would lose a lot of coolant. The outlet has the higher hose but I would worry about sucking in air? I have bled the system a couple more times using the bleeder screws. It has not had the temperature gauge go past the 210 mark now for a couple of runs around town. Today is the big test of about 45 minutes at highway speeds. Thanks for the suggestion. If I have a major temperature rise again I'll see if your suggestion will help.
KathrynStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #17
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Well, after all the "burping" you have done, all I would do, is take the radiator cap off first thing in the morning, top off the radiator, put cap on, and go run it.......then see if the temp gage is ok....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
KathrynStone (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #18
KathrynStone
AF Newbie

Hi again Tech II, Will do! Thanks.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Have you replaced the rad cap? It's cheap..
KathrynStone (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #20
KathrynStone
AF Newbie

Hi Again, I replaced it a couple of years ago but not recently so I will try that also. Thanks for reminding me that it may be a culprit in addition to all that I have replaced recently. It turns out my long trip got cancelled the other day so tomorrow morning I have to go an hour away at highway speeds. I have topped off the radiator again. I hardly had to add any coolant. The radiator cap seems to be keeping pressure. It is very hard to remove if the coolant isn't cooled all the way down. That's why I had to wait to let it cool down to fill it up again before I replaced the water pump. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #21
KathrynStone
AF Newbie

Hi Again, Update on first hour long highway trip to and from. The car stayed about 4/5ths of the way between 100 and 210 on the temperature gauge all the way there. I had to stop at a couple of stoplights and it climbed to 210 but would go down as soon as I started moving again. I have not replaced the radiator cap yet. It had an hour to cool down. So I started back home. About 10 miles go by and the low coolant light comes on so I get off the highway. As soon as I park in a level spot the low coolant light goes out. I turn off the car anyway. Look in the engine area and I can't see any drips. The overflow is full up. I decide to burp at the thermostat again so I start it up and loosen the bleeder and just coolant shoots out, no sign of trapped air. It is hot so the thermostat is open right? So I start home again. Right when I get to a big bridge the low coolant light comes on again and I'm only another 5 miles along, still reads at 4/5ths of T gauge. Before I get off the bridge the light goes out and the temperature gauge jumps down to halfway between 100 and 210! I haven't seen it that low in forever. But it climbs back up to 4/5ths again. I've let it cool at home. I'll check the level in the morning when it is really cooled down. It runs very smooth, the bubbles in the overflow tank are gone now. Do I still need to put in more coolant a few more times? Could it still be some air bubbles trapped somewhere? I have left my heat at full blast all through this to help with the cooling. Any ideas or am I just being too worried about the temperature now? I just don't want to lose another radiator again. That will be the fourth one in 10 years.