Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical
Technical Discuss different strategies and theories of the racing aspect.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
LVApex
AF Regular

Re: Slot drilled rotors on street cars ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_omni
yeah, quite sure it wasn't brake fade, cuz with brake fade my pedal would go to the floor, it was not the case here

i got pressure, it just wasn't stopping, maybe it was something else and i'm misdiagnosing the problem but since switching, i've haven't had that problem
There are several types of brake fade.

1. Green fade, where the pad actually gasses out (this really only happens with new pads when you dont properly bed them)

2. Fluid fade (typically this is when the pedal drops to the floor.)
and
3. Pad fade, when you actually exceed the temp rateing of the pad.

from what it sounds like, you ran in to either #1 or #3. where as the other time you ran in to #2....

As far as Drilled And or slotted.... more or less pointless on street cars, as nither actually will help the car stop any faster (remember, your brakes dont actually stop the car they just stop the wheels). and as far as Track cars... AVOID DRILLED ROTORS ON TRACK!!! slotted can be usefull in de-galzing pads over hard use, but Blanks are your best bet in fighing off brake fade, as they have the maximum amount of Mass (for any given rotor size) to absorb and bleed off heat.
LVApex is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Technical