Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
skiburban
AF Newbie

99 Yukon Barn Door Hinge replacement?

I found one other post on this subject, but no definite answers. Has anyone tried to replace the hinge pin and bushings on the barn door hinges? My drivers side upper hinge pin has completely sheared in two. I took it to the body shop today for replacement and they could not fix it. I think it was more labor intensive than they had imagined - the estimate was only $50. I had a feeling it was too good to be true.... Anyway, they say I have to replace both the door side and the truck side hinge which are both welded on despite the bolts on the truck side - parts cost $450 - ouch! I found a site that retrofits the front door hinges and they have a special tool to press the old hinge pin out. Is this possible to press out the hinge, or should I try to drill them out? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
skiburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
skiburban
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Yukon Barn Door Hinge replacement?

Ok, since you guys seem to have no knowledge on this subject, I'm going to try drilling out the old hinge pin this weekend and replacing with new pins and bushings. I'll let you know if I'm successful. By the way, I went to the chevy dealer yesterday to ask again about the parts, and they told me that the hinges and were no longer available, even if you wanted to cut the old spot welds and weld on new hinges.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
sdwscooter
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiburban
Ok, since you guys seem to have no knowledge on this subject, I'm going to try drilling out the old hinge pin this weekend and replacing with new pins and bushings. I'll let you know if I'm successful. By the way, I went to the chevy dealer yesterday to ask again about the parts, and they told me that the hinges and were no longer available, even if you wanted to cut the old spot welds and weld on new hinges.
How did the repair go?? I have a 99 Tahoe with really poor hinge function and would like to replace them if possible.
sdwscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
skiburban
AF Newbie

Not too good. I found that the old hinge pin metal is much harder than the door hinge metal, and ended up drilling slightly off center of the hinge pin and into the door hinge. I spent about an hour working with it alternately trying to drill and drive out the pin with no luck. I got about halfway throught the pin and gave up. I haven't fooled with it in a couple weeks. I really don't know what else to do. I could probably sleeve the hinge to get it back to the correct size hole for the new pin, but I'm unable to even get the old pins out despite PB Blaster and WD40. Too rusted up I guess. Really a pretty frustrating situation. I've been really happy with my Yukon and the Suburban I had before this, but this is enough to make you want to switch to Ford. It's just a really stupid design.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:34 AM   #5
intrcptrbird
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to intrcptrbird

Im not too familiar with the stlye of hinge that is on those doors but if its the design I recall..... could you cut a section in the middle of the hinge out with a sawzall or something and then beat the rest of the pin out with a center punch and hammer. I was just thinking if you cut the center then you would only have one end's friction to worry about at a time instead of both ends. Just a thought.
intrcptrbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
skiburban
AF Newbie

You would think it would come out easier that way, but when the pin broke it broke into three pieces so when I open the door I can actually let the door sag enough to get to the top part, the center part, and the bottom part of the pin independently, and still not coming out. It's really siezed up. I was thinking of taking a sawzall to the hinge altogether and going to the junkyard to get a replacement and welding that one onto my truck - paint, bodywork, etc.etc. uuuhhgggggggh. All for a stupid broken hinge pin. I guess I should take it back to the body shop and pay whatever it takes for them to fix it.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
intrcptrbird
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to intrcptrbird

I just find it amazing that a hinge pin is seized up sooo bad that you cant even beat it out. I would at least see how much the body shop wants if its giving you that much grief.
intrcptrbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
skiburban
AF Newbie

I agree, I haven't tried using an 8lb hammer yet. I guess I should try that. I have a hard time believing that the thing broke in the first place. This truck came from Wisconsin - so it was in the salt.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
02yukondoit
AF Newbie

i'm from wisconsin...i totally understand your issue! you may want to try heating up the hinge with a torch, then pound it out? just protect the paint with a welding blanket or an old lisense plate. you'll burn the paint off the hinge but at this point you really have nothing to loose. replacement pins are available from collisionservices.com. they sell a greasable replacement for the full size GM vans, the hinges are similar, it might be worth a try. the kits go for about $80 bucks, 1 kit will do 1 door (2 hinges).
02yukondoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Cleveland Metal
AF Newbie

Haven't been able to beat mine out either. I just drilled it successively larger till I could get it broke down enough to get out. Didn't wanna torch it.

Definitely a pain.
Cleveland Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
DAF2X2
AF Newbie

I have made this very easy to do can be done in 15 min or less to remove the pin check out my youtube video. Click the link or search it in youtube or copy the link this is so easy no drilling torching or damage to the vehicle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jB0S3EplIE
DAF2X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
wayaboveme
AF Newbie

Very cool! Good luck with your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAF2X2 View Post
I have made this very easy to do can be done in 15 min or less to remove the pin check out my youtube video. Click the link or search it in youtube or copy the link this is so easy no drilling torching or damage to the vehicle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jB0S3EplIE
wayaboveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
DAF2X2
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 99 Yukon Barn Door Hinge replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayaboveme View Post
Very cool! Good luck with your business.
Thanks wayaboveme, building my retirement on nickel at a time LOL
DAF2X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
dirtychevy
AF Newbie

DAF2X2 what's that tool called or where do I find it...
dirtychevy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon