Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Bythepond88
AF Newbie

Front end noise

I have an '02 Windstar (Mr. Breeze).

I started hearing a "roaring" noise from the front end a few weeks back. It sounded just like the sound I heard when the left front wheel bearing was going bad, so I replaced the right side. The noise diminished, but didn't go away, then it started getting louder again. So yesterday, I jacked it up to see if there was anything obvous. The tie rod ends seem to be tight, but there is a little wiggle when I grab the wheel at 3 and 9 (maybe a quarter of an inch), but no movement when I try with hands at 12 and 6. I stuck my head in the wheel well, and looks like the "post" on the ball joint is moving in the pinch clamp. I re-checked the torque on the pinch bolt for both. The one on the right was fine, but I got maybe a sixth or a quarter turn on the side where I just replaced the bearing. This morning, she was quieter again, but I still have noise.

I'm going to replace the front tires because I read a thread that someone had similar problems and new tires fixed it. The tires are due anyway because the tread is getting thin and one has developed a slow leak.

If that doesn't solve the problem, does it sound like it might be the ball joints? Has anyone ever had a similar experience of the ball joints being ok, but the posts were worn?
Bythepond88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Front end noise

A bad ball joint wouldn't cause a "roar" noise.

Is the roar synced with the wheel rotation or is it just a steady sound?
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Bythepond88
AF Newbie

It's a steady roaring/rumbling sound that gets louder with speed.

It's not the ball joint itself that seems to be loose, it's where the ball joint fits into the steering knuckle.

Is it normal for there to be some side to side play in the wheel? It's not much, but it's there.

Last edited by Bythepond88; 12-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

The pin should be pinched solidly by the knuckle. If it has been like that for a while then the knuckle could be worn to the point where it won't pinch no matter how tight the pinch bolt is torqued.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomj76 For This Useful Post:
Bythepond88 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I agree with Tomj76; I think you should be in the market for a new knuckle. Probably comes with bearing installed. I would also consider going ahead and replacing lower control arm(s). Will make all your steering issues disappear, I would guess.
I've never replaced knuckle or bearings on my near-400k mile '99, but I have replaced link ends and anti-sway bar bushings ... a couple of times. Recently replaced struts and lower control arms ... quite a wrestle!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
Bythepond88 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Before you go nuts replacing stuff, and especially since you replaced the bearings, get your wheels balanced. Always tackle fundamentals first! Most of the time you get lifetime balancing when you buy your tires anyway so get that done FIRST before throwing any parts at this issue.

A speed-relative rumbling or vibration would not be knuckle, control arm, ball joint, etc. It has to be something with the wheel or the bearing.

I'll bet you an Al's beef that your wheels are out of balance! (I'll meet you half way at the location downtown to settle up! heh)
The Following User Says Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
Bythepond88 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Bythepond88
AF Newbie

Thank you, Scubacat. That's exactly what I intend to do. I did a search before posting, and someone else was having similar problems and replaced a bunch of parts without solving the problem. In the end, it turned out to be his tires. My fronts are about due for replacement anyway, so I'm going to have them replaced and all the tires balanced this week-end.

I posted the question to get suggestions as to what to look at if that doesn't make the noise go away.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

The noise is almost definitely wheel balance. It's always the simplest thing and it's OFTEN overlooked. Definitely replace your tires if they're worn, but getting the wheels balanced is what will eliminate the noise.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

We're talking safety as well as performance here. Yes, I agree ... much of the unsavory ride will go away with new, balanced tires. But when I read of a lower control arm ball joint that cannot be properly clamped ... well, just forgive an old guy who will spend more bucks for safety, than most, perhaps.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Bythepond88
AF Newbie

Thank you for your concern, 12Ounce, I do appreciate it. I'm not positive that the ball joint posts are not being clamped properly, it just looked like they might be moving. I've been going to this shop for a while, and if there's a problem with them, they will tell me. They don't "shop" the car, but they do let me know if they see something that needs fixing. The first replacement of the ball joints was because they noticed the the problem when replacing tires.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

I've just never heard of the ball joint pinch joint wearing like that. I suppose it's possible.

Anytime I sense a safety issue that I'm not sure of, I get it checked out by a reputable shop. I definitely concur with your getting it checked if you have any concern that there may be an issue!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

The way to check for a good pinch is to use a pry bar (with good leverage) to "lift" the knuckle up while the control arm is acting as the fulcrum. If you can move the knuckle away from the control arm, then it isn't pinched. As mentioned, it is not safe when the pin is not firmly pinched in the knuckle.

Also, the pin is shaped so that the pinch bolt will keep it from popping out of the knuckle as long as the bolt is in place, which adds a measure of safety. However, when the knuckle isn't pinching the pin tightly, the pin moves up and down in the knuckle hole, this wears the pin smaller and the hole in the knuckle bigger, which is why the knuckle might need to be replaced. (Alert: they are not inexpensive parts!)

Incidentally this situation can start when the slot in the knuckle is damaged while spreading the hole to allow the pin to slide out. If the wedge used to open the hole is too "steep" it dimples the faces of the slot which keeps the slot from closing completely.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Bythepond88
AF Newbie

Well, it wasn't the tires. Shop says that the inner tie rods are loose, as well as the ball joints. So I know what I'll be doing this Saturday. Fortunately the ball joints I bought earlier are lifetime warranty, and the tie rods are not terribly expensive.

Is there anything I can do to get the alignment at least close in case I don't have time left to get an alignment done this week-end?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Count the threads from the jam nut to the outer and match that up when you install the new. Or you can count the number of rotations when spinning off the nut in the same manner.

In spite of doing that, you still need to take it directly to an alignment shop before driving it extensively. They said BOTH inners were loose? Did you hit a curb at full speed or something?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

The simplest approach is to count the number of turns of the outer tie rod end as you remove it from the tie rod. Thread the replacements the same amount for an approximate alilgnment.

It may help to center the steering wheel and before you start then measure the distance from the center of the outer tie rod end to the frame or another part that is perminantly attached to the frame, along the same direction as the tie rod. You'll need to take fairly accurate measurements to do this.

I've seen where people have made giant calipars (from PVC pipe) to measure the difference in distance between the inside of the front tires in front of the knuckle and behind the knuckle. This helps make sure you have the right toe-in. Apparently it can work very well, but I've never tried it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomj76 For This Useful Post:
Bythepond88 (12-16-2014)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar