Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Question Why DeLorean?

Okay, I have two questions.

#1: Why is there a DeLorean forum?

#2: since there is a DeLorean forum, why isn't there a Bricklin SV-1 forum?

Simple enough questions - right?

Thanks.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: Why DeLorean?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2strokebloke
Okay, I have two questions.

#1: Why is there a DeLorean forum?

#2: since there is a DeLorean forum, why isn't there a Bricklin SV-1 forum?

Simple enough questions - right?

Thanks.
1. Because people like and talk about these cars, as evidenced by the 444 posts in the forum.

2. Good question. Post here if you want something done about it.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
Alfasudcrazy
AF Newbie

What is a Bricklin?
Alfasudcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasudcrazy
What is a Bricklin?
From http://bricklin.org:

The Bricklin is a gull-wing sports car that was manufactured primarily from Detroit parts in 1974 through early 1976 in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada for exclusive sale in the United States. There were 2854 cars built before Bricklin went bankrupt. An estimated 1500 still exist today. Bricklin International (BI) reports 570 active members with cars on the road and in restoration.
The single model built was given the designation SV-1, for Safety Vehicle 1. It had a built in roll cage, side guard rails and shock absorbing, 5-mph bumpers that receded into the car. It was not only safe in an accident, but had the power and handling to avoid one. The Bricklin far exceeded safety requirements of the time.

They were built here in my home town, so there's quite a few of them in my area. They're pretty cool cars, just don't expect most Delorean fans to say that...

Check them out here: http://bricklin.org

Old 12-28-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
Alfasudcrazy
AF Newbie

Mmmm - it reminds me of the Triumph TR7 or what an American version of it would look like
Alfasudcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Ah yes, the Bricklin. Somehow often mistaken for a DeLorean, and vise versa. Heep, old friend, good to see you're still around. Happy new year everyone!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
DMC3472
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DMC3472 Send a message via MSN to DMC3472 Send a message via Yahoo to DMC3472
People that know the Bricklin often claim that the DeLorean is based on the Bricklin design, when actually John DeLorean was a big fan of the other production Gullwing, the Mercedes-Benz 300SL.

That said, there are some similarities between the 2 cars, both were built by people that didn't fit the mold of the normal 70's automotive executive. Malcolm Bricklin was basically a cowboy with some good salesman smarts, DeLorean was a playboy who chaifed at the vcorporate restraints of GM. Both care were build with (for the day) advanced technology). Both were also originally designed as "Safety Cars" the Brickling SV-1 (Safety Vehicle 1) and the DeLorean was originally the DSV or DeLorean Safety Vehicle (with a lot or original funding coming from Allstate.

Both of these cars also have very unique skins. the DeLoreans stainless steel skin has never been duplicated on any other production car, and after years of use many ot these cars look like they just rolled off of the assembley line. the Bricking used a color-impregnated acrylic skin - instead of paint, the color went all the way through so small scratches can be buffed out.

Even though I am not a huge fan of the Bricklin, I do think it would be cool to own one of each of the gullwings, and the Bricklin is much more realistic for most people (the 300SL's can fetch $300,000 plus)

Whew - enough typing for a few minutes.
work out the way I expected. . .And I'm sure it's not
going to be the last.
--John Z DeLorean
DMC3472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

I also was reading an article from the 70's about the Bricklin, and was surprised to learn that Bricklin had actually approached DeLorean to produce the Bricklin! Of course DeLorean turned the offer down at the time, and Bricklin attempted to build the car himself.
What I find curious about it is that DeLorean had turned him down... was he already thinking about building his own car when Bricklin approached him? Did he think at the time that it was a bad idea?
Secondly it seems strange to me that Delorean did what he did when he built his cars, the Bricklin was still fresh in many people's minds when the DeLoreans went into production, and yet DeLorean seemed to pay little or no attention to the lessons he should have learned from watching what happened to the Bricklin SV-1.
Both cars shared major flaws - they were build out of materials that automakers had had very little experience with, which lead to production difficulties in the early units, they were made in countries not known for auto production, which put doubts in the publics mind about the cars, and both Bricklin and Delorean had insisted on using gullwing doors, despite how impractical, and expensive, and hard to make work right they were. (of course the doors are also what are best remembered about both cars)
Of course both Bricklin and Delorean also had to deal to problems that were beyond their control, which also didn't help matters any.
It's sad to think that both of these cars had such a short production life. Had they been given a chance to work out the bugs, and had outside circumstances not muddled things further, we'd probably have seen alot more exciting designs from these two.

Just began thinking about it since seeing a DeLorean on the highway yesterday (and they still look as cool now as they did 25 years ago).

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #9
donutshopguy
AF Newbie

Thinking of purchasing a Delorean for personal enjoyment. What should I be looking for? Are there specific problems I should avoid? Have automotive mechnical background but no idea on body work.
donutshopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
DMC3472
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DMC3472 Send a message via MSN to DMC3472 Send a message via Yahoo to DMC3472
Re: Re: Why DeLorean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutshopguy
Thinking of purchasing a Delorean for personal enjoyment. What should I be looking for? Are there specific problems I should avoid? Have automotive mechnical background but no idea on body work.
If you stick with one that is stainless (not painted) you wiill easily be able to see if there is any damage. Painted D's are another issue. Since stainless is non-magnetic, you cannot use a magnet to test for areas that have been bondo'd.

Make sure to check the frame to ensure the epoxy is not cracking . . this can lead to the frame rusting from the inside out. . .check for factory updates (get a set of manuals from www.delorean.com to assist with that - they are a must have for these cars). http://www.delorean.com/downloads.asp#checklist also has an excellent DeLorean appraisal that you can download and take with you while checking out a D to ensure that everything is in tip-top shape.

Hope this helps!
work out the way I expected. . .And I'm sure it's not
going to be the last.
--John Z DeLorean
DMC3472 is offline   Reply With Quote