Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
DaveHorne_NL
AF Newbie

general question re number of computer chips in cars

Hi, thanks for indulging me with this question.

I see greatly varying numbers regarding the number of computer chips in cars. I recently contacted a reporter from a newspaper here in the Netherlands who, in her initial paragraph, mentioned that there are around 1000 chips in a car. (The article had to do with ASML, a Dutch company making the machines that make the computer chips.)

I had seen that number thrown about before, but in my limited knowledge, I would guess the number would be closer to several dozen.

Does anyone here have more definitive information regarding the actual number of computer chips in a typical car? Just ballpark numbers would be fine.

Thanks, Dave Horne
DaveHorne_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Re: general question re number of computer chips in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHorne_NL View Post
Hi, thanks for indulging me with this question.

I see greatly varying numbers regarding the number of computer chips in cars. I recently contacted a reporter from a newspaper here in the Netherlands who, in her initial paragraph, mentioned that there are around 1000 chips in a car. (The article had to do with ASML, a Dutch company making the machines that make the computer chips.)

I had seen that number thrown about before, but in my limited knowledge, I would guess the number would be closer to several dozen.

Does anyone here have more definitive information regarding the actual number of computer chips in a typical car? Just ballpark numbers would be fine.

Thanks, Dave Horne
More computing power than in the Apollo lunar orbiter and lander!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:07 AM   #3
DaveHorne_NL
AF Newbie

"More computing power than in the Apollo lunar orbiter and lander!"

My smartphone has more than 100,000 times the computing power as well.
DaveHorne_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

"Computer" is a very broad term and can really be applied to any component that computes something. With that in mind, it could apply to simple, common operational amplifiers. If you're referring something that contains a microcontroller or microprocessor, that number will decrease, but it could still be quite large. A modern car stereo may have several alone (PLL, LCD controller, power supply controller, GPS processor, Bluetooth controller, Memory controller, Audio control processor/DSP, surround sound processor, touch screen controller, and possibly a few more I'm not thinking of. The Body Control Module may have a processor for each of several features. Then the Engine Control Module could have several as well considering all the emissions, fuel delivery, spark control, VIN storage, CANbus controller, etc.

I'm not sure I would guess the number to be in the thousands, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it's more than 100 for a typical new vehicle.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical