Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
shotgunphil
AF Newbie

looking into gettin a 2005-2007 Odyssey

Like the title states we are looking to get an Odyssey between 2005 -2007 model year. After reading some disturbing posts regarding the Transissions I have a few questions

1. Do the 2005 -2007 years have the same Tranny's as earlier years?

2. Should I look to pay more for a van with less miles and have the Fluid and filter done by the dealer as part of the negotiations?

3. What should I look for while test driving?

Thanks!
shotgunphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
ArtChee
AF Newbie

Re: looking into gettin a 2005-2007 Odyssey

The 2005-2010 model ODYSSEY is the 3nd generation (6 years after major re-design but all models basically the same). Generally, it's not a good idea to buy the 1st year of a new model design (2005). There are very little in changes from 2005 thru 2010. The 2007 added the telescoping steering wheel, which is nice.

The ODYSSEY is considered the top of the line in mini-vans. Unless you need a telescoping steering wheel go with a 2006 (lower price) TOURING model - has all the bells & whistles.

My 2006 had 102,000 miles when I got it at a great price. It runs like NEW. I did, however, take some of the $$ saved and changed out the spark plugs and timing belt.

One KEY concern: check out the gas mileage. I bought mine for the rated 20/28 mpg, but found I only get 15/22 mpg, and cannot find how to improve on that.
ArtChee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
tschmidt
AF Newbie

We are also looking for a Ody. I did notice the gas mileage that they show 20/28 mpg. As I looked more into it the newer ones got less mpg than the older ones. Why do they show this mpg if its not getting it?
tschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
ArtChee
AF Newbie

I, too, was attracted to the variable cylinder management engine in the Odyssey. Makes sense that if you drive HALF the time on just 3 cylinders you SHOULD get good gas mileage.
My 2006 was in EXCELLENT condition (with 102,000 miles, only key door lock not working). I read posts that SOME Ody owners ARE getting the 20/28 MPG, but as noted in earlier post I get only 15/22. Can't say that I have tried "everything" to improve my MPG, but have yet to discover how to improve my MPG. I suspect that with some previous repair work done on the engine, being that these 21st century vehicles are so advanced/complex, someone failed to reassemble the "workings" properly.

NEVERTHELESS... I simply LOVE my 2006 Ody.
ArtChee is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey