Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie
HOW TO: Install that new suspension of which you read the faq above and choose wisely

First off make sure you read the Faq above before reading this or you'll have just wasted 5-6 hrs of your day, and will have broken suspension/drive componets in a matter of time!

Rear
1) I will start with the rear so you get the idea on what the heck you gettin yourself into here.
2) Break lug nuts loose and chock the front tires
3) Jack up rear of car using the center of the traling arm.
4) Place jack stand at the appropriate parts of the frame just in front of the wheel wells.
5) Let the car down enough to be support on the stand but do not lower the jack all the way, as you need to support the trailing arm.
6) Remove rear wheels
7) With the trunk open, there is 1 nut on each rear strut mount that needs to be removed, do so on both sides at this time and don't loose it. It will be the inner most one. Don't touch the 2 that are side by-side as those are welded in place.
8) Going in through the wheel wells, i think its 10mm socket you need to losen the remaining 2 bolts that are attaching the strut mount to your car. But do not remove them yet. Do this on both sides. Note, you just remove the bolt, the nut it welded in place.
9) With an impact wrench, remove the botton 2 bolts that connect the strut to the lower trailing arm. Then use the jack and lower the trailing arm all the way down, but leave jack in place. This is where you might hace to use a rubber mallet and tap the lower portion of the strut out, tapping towards the rear of the car.
10) Now remove the 2 loosend bolts from back in step 8, which should give you your full rear strut mount assemblys.
11) Place the spring compressor onto the old spring and compress them enough to release tension off the center bolt.
12) Remove center bolt and all you need off your old assembly is your lower strut seat so the spring dosn't rub the pain off your new ones. There will be a little nipple on the bottom of it and install it into you new strut...and then inside your dust cover is the yellow bump stop. At this point you need to cut it between the first and second bump. Place bump stop back in dust cover. You also have the option to use new strut mounts or use your old ones. Its up to you.
13) Reinstall everything in reverse order with your new struts and springs/coilover w/e, if it looks confusing, make notes on paper along the way on how they were removed.

Front

1) Break lug nuts loose and chock rear tires.
2) Jack up 1 side of the car at a time, that way if you mess somthing up, you can refer to the other side.
3) Remove wheel
4) Remove all 3 bolts from the top of the strut mount under you hood leaving the center nut in place.
5) With an impact wrench remove the nuts off one side of the lower strut portion which attaches to the control arm. The bolts can be knocked out with a hammer.
6) Maneuver the whole assembly out. Refer to step #'s 11-13 above from the rear for spring compression and installation of your new suspenion parts on the fronts.
5)

Thats pretty much it. Now if you don't have a spring compressor, there are ways around it. But you need to make an attempt to obtain one before i tell you how to go around it. Its very dangerous without one if you don't know what the hell your doing. Now wait about 1-2 weeks and get an alignment.

other site that might have a how-to

www.bradiscool.com
www.ny-jbodies.org

If futher assistance or info is required, PM here or IM me on AIM.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
KustmAce
Grande Boleros de Fuego

Re: HOW TO: Install that new suspension of which you read the faq above and choose wi

Stick'd, and thanks for another great writeup Cody!

Also, Bradiscool.com has a great writeup as well with very clear pictures

Last edited by KustmAce; 03-01-2006 at 09:47 AM.
KustmAce is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance