Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
emiracleworker1
AF Newbie

06 Silverado Drum Brakes Cooking

Hi all.... hoping someone could provide me with a little insight, as I am at a total loss.

I have an 06 Silverado, pristine condition and meticulously maintained with 240K on it. 5.3 with drum brakes in the rear.

I replaced the rear shoes and turned the rear drums last week (also did spring and self adjuster kits). While driving, I noticed the smell of burning brakes and the rear drums HOT. Pulled everything apart and the top 1/4" if the shoes (both sides) are incredibly worn. The rest of the shoe is completely untouched.

I cleaned everything, re-assembled and under adjusted the brakes... to a point that the emergency brake wouldn't stop the wheels and took it for a quick drive. Rear brakes still got hot.

Next step was do the front brakes (didn't need it, but figured it's possible they weren't grabbing and putting too much load on the rear). Rear brakes still got hot.

In saying all of this, I did not have the issue before replacing the shoes. It's a problem that came up immediately after doing the brakes. Plus, I've never seen shoes only wear at the top 1/4" especially in less than 100 miles.

I appreciate any input!
emiracleworker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 06 Silverado Drum Brakes Cooking

since you replaced the springs could be those springs are the problem. put the old springs in .. did you do one side at a time ? if not then you could have put the springs in wrong.. wear at the top both sides is a spring or somehow a brake pressure on the brake cylinders.

IMO I do not cut drums .. reason is the drums must match the brake shoes. if the drums are cut then the shoes are not the same radius so the shoes wear out at the top only .

back off the park brake cable make sure it has NO binding .. has slack then see if the drums are not getting hot .. possible a bad cable from the park brake pedal to the connection to the both rear cables.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
emiracleworker1
AF Newbie

Thank you very much for your insight!

I suspected the rear drums after being cut, so did replace the shoes and drums today with new product. I went ahead and put the old springs back on and the old hardware. I'm certain everything is installed correctly.

To clarify, these are the single spring rears, so very little to get wrong... and with 240 on the truck, I've done the rears several times.

Here's where it gets real interesting now- Again, new drums, new shoes and the hardware that was working without issue previously. I can jack the truck up, put it in neutral and spin the wheel by hand. It will make about 5 revolutions with little effort on spinning it and doesn't appear to be binding at all (both sides). I didn't adjust the now new brakes. That are at the loosest setting on the adjuster... to a point that pushing the emergency brake to the floor does nothing to stop the wheel. Took it for a 2 mile test drive (with the adjustment setting that loose, the pedal has to go WAY down to stop the truck). The rear brakes were once again HOT and had the odor of burning brakes. Jacked it up, spun the wheel and it turns freely.

Now, I am absolutely no genius but that seems impossible to me. I can't for the life of me understand how the wheels spin freely but still burn the brakes.
emiracleworker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
ftxlcincy
AF Newbie

My guess would be the rear rubber brake line is bad. I've seen many front brake line go bad and they collapse on the inside and don't let the pressure release right away. Burn up many a rotor and pads. Since the wheels spun free when first installed something is causing constant pressure to the rear brakes and with that many miles it may be that line.
ftxlcincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
maxwedge
A990 racer

If you are noting only partial contact with the drum as you state, the linings maybe wrong or you have done something wrong as you mounted them, also how much did to take off the drums? Jcat sounds like he is on track with his post.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Could you have put the back shoe on the front by mistake?
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
Could you have put the back shoe on the front by mistake?
that would do it .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado