Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
Jrwoodruff
AF Newbie

Running too hot

I have a 1973 ,429 Lincoln engine in a cobra kit car. Engine has been rebuilt. Can't keep it from over heating. Tried new thermostat,new water pump, after market radiater with mounted electric fan and shroud, even added two pusher fans. Was told to check timing, I adjusted timing and that did help but still runs 200-220 just cruising. If I run it any harder it will over flow the overflow tank. Was also told sometimes rebuilt engine might run hot until broke in . Have less than 150 miles on engine. I am stumped.
Jrwoodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Jrwoodruff
AF Newbie

Re: Running too hot

Forgot to add, car is also lacking in power, it's doggy.
Jrwoodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Running too hot

Have you confirmed the engine is actually running hot versus just a sensor that is either not reading correctly or sitting in a pocket of air? If you're confident that all the air is out of the system and the coolant is actually running hot, and since you mention the engine is also lacking power, I'd be inclined to think your carburetor is not tuned correctly and you're running either too lean or too rich.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
Jrwoodruff (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Thumbs up Re: Running too hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Have you confirmed the engine is actually running hot versus just a sensor that is either not reading correctly or sitting in a pocket of air? If you're confident that all the air is out of the system and the coolant is actually running hot, and since you mention the engine is also lacking power, I'd be inclined to think your carburetor is not tuned correctly and you're running either too lean or too rich.

-Rod
. Agreed, assuming your power expectations are reasonable, I would research the proper advance curve and base timing for that engine, get it right to eliminate that possibility. To add, an engine built with exceptionally tight clearances can run hotter during break in. Lotta possibilities here.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical