Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
mwaldrp
AF Newbie

'97 Jimmy with Gas Gauge Issues

My '97 Jimmy has had an inaccurate gas gauge for several years now. Initially, it would read accurately until approximately 1/4 of the tank of fuel remained. After this point it would read full regardless of how much gas was in the tank. Over time this has progressed so the gauge only reads accurately until approximately 3/4 of the tank of fuel remains and most of the time the gauge reads full. I have simply been refilling every 200 miles during this time but I have forgotten a few times and been stranded so I would like to address it now. The gauge needle also oscillates in time with the turn signal when it is activated which may or may not be related. I am having no fuel supply issues so I don't think there is an issue with the fuel pump but I believe the pump and fuel sender are integrated in my model year so it may be necessary to replace it anyway. Any insight or guidance would be appreciated.
mwaldrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: '97 Jimmy with Gas Gauge Issues

This sort of problem is pretty common in Blazers and Jimmys of that generation. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fuel level sending unit. Another thing about those vehicles and others built by GM is running out of fuel damages the fuel pump. Any time you run out of fuel it's like Russian roulette to your fuel pump, it could seize up any time.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeCStig For This Useful Post:
mwaldrp (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
mwaldrp
AF Newbie

Is it possible something other than the sending unit could be at fault or should I just go ahead and replace the pump and sending unit without trying to diagnose any further?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/ Search 130762371837 Make sure you check the ground first.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhandwor For This Useful Post:
mwaldrp (01-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

You Have to check the connections at the harness, check for power AND ground......with the harness disconnected, should get a reading of full.....if you insert a 40 ohm resistor in the circuit, should read 1/2 full....if it does, need a fuel level sending unit.....

Otherwise you have to check the whole fuel level circuit, which includes a buffer module....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
mwaldrp (08-12-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
mwaldrp
AF Newbie

Sorry for the slow update. I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit (they are not available separately for my '97) and everything is back to normal. Thanks for the advice.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis