Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
LGLDSR73
AF Newbie

Intake Manifold Explosion, V6, 3.8L

Turned the key on my 2002 MC SS, V6, 3.8L, and the Intake Manifold exploded.

Anyone ever hear of the Intake Manifold Exploding on a GM V6, 3.8L? It sounded like a 12ga shotgun. Fortunately no one was looking into the engine compartment at the time as they likely would have been killed given the amount of shrapnel from this explosion. Note that the explosion was powerful enough to blow off the oil cap, which is screwed on with very thick threads.

The vehicle was at my mechanics at time and in his forty years he's not seen an intake manifold explode save for those residing on Top Fuel or Funny Cars.

Am advising NHTSA Chairman via USPS Restricted Delivery Mail (which, under Federal Law, can only be signed for by the Addressee which will ensure delivery to his direct and personal attention). Hoping this is not another attempt at GM trying to save a few cents (vis-a-vis The Ivey Memo where GM put the value of Human Life at just over two bucks, the Ignition Switch issue to save fifty-seven cents, et al).

Any input greatly appreciated. iMAGES OF EXPLOSION LOCATED AT: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0k&usp=sharing
LGLDSR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Intake Manifold Explosion, V6, 3.8L

It's not common, but I have seen other posts of it happening to other 3800s as well as other engine makes.

What happens is the car might lose spark and fuel builds up and causes vapors to build up in the intake, then there is spark and the spark ignites the vapors causing the explosion.

The problem is the plastic intake manifold is not strong enough to withstand the pressure from the explosion inside. The supercharged variants don't experience this issue.

It's not just GM cars that this can happen to. Any car with a plastic manifold can explode. The cast manifolds tend to be able to withstand the explosion.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Skatulaki
AF Newbie

Re: Intake Manifold Explosion, V6, 3.8L

I just bought a 2002 Monte Carlo Dale Earnhardt Limited Edition which has suffered the same thing. Somebody before I bought it had the same thing happen. Currently attempting to repair the issue, and return this car to running condition.
Skatulaki is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo