Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Anything you ever wanted to know about boosting the performance of your Cavalier.
View Poll Results: Concidering my post, stupid or no?
Well... when you put it that way... 0 0%
DUMB!@# 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
spezticle
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to spezticle Send a message via AIM to spezticle Send a message via MSN to spezticle Send a message via Yahoo to spezticle
Lightbulb I just read most of the pinned governer/limiter thread... Have a few questions

So this turner guy...
I think he had somewhat of a decent point... but... I also agree with his antagonists, too.

If I was to race smart, as he says he does... I think it would mean that the strip I'm racing in, doesn't have cross traffic, pedestrians, pot holes and bumps.

A strip of road where the worst thing I'm going to damage is myself, my car, or some warehouse or something, and possibly the person or persons I'm racing.

The people I'm racing obviously know the risks of racing. This doesn't make it right if I might kill them... but, it does take away their innocence in death that a pedestrian or bus would have. Same if someone killed me. I knew before I started my engine and pulled up to the line that I could die tonight by my or their driving...

If I or someone else damaged a warehouse... well... I would say there's a 90% or greater chance that the building is insured. Who loses here? Well, the owner/renter of the warehouse gets inconvenienced... but ultimately it's the insurance company that loses the most. There is of course the point that wasting an insurance companies money is bad for everyone because it causes the rises of rates for everyone.
But all things considered... it's not anywhere as severe as death.

As far as the legality of it... I think that's the least important part to consider. If I kill someone... I should be punished because what I did is wrong. NOT because my government say's it's wrong.
I have a mile long driveway that's technically a road and has a speed limit of 35. I go 80 down it. I broke the law. Badly. Does anyone lose sleep over it? Me?
No.

If my brother was in a street race and he got killed cos of someone else in the race, or because of his own driving... I would grieve of course, but I wouldn't think he was stupid. I'd be pissed at the guy that killed him... but as I said before. Everyone that gets into the race knows the risks. It comes with the territory.

So, my whole point is I think that if you're in a properly controlled environment for street racing, and it's legal... Have fun.
If it's the exact said circumstances, yet, illegal...
Have fun.
Still make you stupid? I don't think so... but... that's just me.
Any insight or ideas?
spezticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie
Re: I just read most of the pinned governer/limiter thread... Have a few questions

I have nothing to really add here. I will admit i have done a couple light to light dashes after new mods. But I never get into speeds in triple digits even after raising the fuel cut off and upping the limiter to 7,000rpms.

Regardless, high speed racing is dumb and pointless. No one is this J-body section warrants enough mods to hit higher than 108 in the 1/4 mile.

As for this post... Its fine your expressing your thoughts, I just don't see a need for after the sticky above. But i'll leave it open.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
spezticle
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to spezticle Send a message via AIM to spezticle Send a message via MSN to spezticle Send a message via Yahoo to spezticle
Re: I just read most of the pinned governer/limiter thread... Have a few questions

Really I was intrigued by that sticky. The whole conversation was interesting and after reading I wanted to express some of my thoughts just because it seemed as if TunerAdept didn't say very well what his idea of 'when done right' is.
Upon further consideration it really does seem though, the only right way to do it is on a track... or well... i should say responsible way.

I think that's the biggest rush of a street race. Knowing that it's more dangerous and risky. That and you might win (or lose) a whole lot of money, or even your car. (People do still race for pink slips, don't they? lol)
spezticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Street racing is just stupid. At 100 mph, do you honestly think you can stop or turn if a semi pulls out from between warehouses? I have been to a couple street races that were "done right" They were several miles from any population center, and the racers stop in the road while two more cars drive 3/4 mile down the road and block it off. Once they are there, they'd radio (this was before everyone had cell phones) the cars back at the start and they'd go. Even doing that was incredibly stupid, with most of the risks gone. What if a deer ran out on the road? What if one of them blew a tire and took both cars into the ditch and through a telephone pole? I know that seems unlikely, but how many half-assed lowered cars have you seen that have NO tread on the inside shoulder and new tread on the outside? Now let's go back to the warehouses... what's on the other side of that sheet metal wall? Are they storing pillows or explosives? You could take out the whole industrial section with 10 seconds of stupidity. And if they are storing pillows, you still cost someone else money and you didn't pay for it. That makes you a thief too.

I too will admit I've done some stop-sign racing (even recently), but we're talking about going maybe 90, and with absolutely nothing but flat land in every direction. I also keep my vehicles in great shape, so I know I'm not going to have an equipment failure, and I won't stay next to someone I don't know, because I don't know what might let go on their car. If I don't have them off the line, they win, it's that simple.

I'm an automotive technician, and the things I have seen on cars would make you never want to ride in a car that you havn't inspected yourself. Why do you want to drive next to that person going 100 MPH?

Let's examine the legal stupidity of it. I'm pretty sure that in most states you lose your license for street racing. I may be wrong, but I never really needed to know that. Sure, it's your right to risk losing your license, but it's still stupid. What happens if you lose control and wreck both cars? You both agreed (or at least implied) that you accept the risks, but the other driver might be angry about you wrecking his car and breaking several of his bones and he might want to sue you. I'm guessing you're probably not loaded if you're racing in a cavalier, and I'm guessing your insurance wouldn't cover you if they found out you were racing. How long would you have to work to pay that off?

Basically, if there is any risk to anything or anyone other that your self, it's stupid. It doesn't matter if it's not very risky. Don't do it. I used to be young and stupid. One day you'll look back at all your close-calls and wonder how you're still alive and not in prison. If God didn't want me here, I'm sure I would be dead
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
ole hornet driver
AF Newbie

Ya guys I agree, my god I did enough stupid stuff when I was young, and others did also, thats why the insurance rates are so high, and thats why Detroit doesn't build real preformance cars anymore. For what we have to pay to supe up a car, whats a few extra bucks to race at a track. where it is under some kind of control hopefully we won't hurt anyone including ourselves, and we can all feel good about it. I was lucky, I never killed any innocent people that were using the same public road, don't be that guy, I know I sleep well at nite, I was lucky and knowing what I know now I never would have played on the street. I just enjoy, doing what I do at my age on the track now, one of these days, maybe I'll learn how not to turn left and get some speed out of the darn thing.
ole hornet driver is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Performance