Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance
Tips and Maintenance Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures here (for both Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake
1997-2003 Grand Prix Standard to Auto-Dim Mirror Conversion

Hey Guys,

I just installed an auto dim mirror from a 2000 Grand Prix GTP into a 2002 Grand Prix SE. It was purchased for 30 bucks from a car that was being parted. Included with it was its connector and a few inches of wire.

Here is the wiring diagram I used to determine what wires from the mirror did what. Since my mirror came from a 2000 Grand Prix, I got a wiring diagram from a 2000. I think other years might have different wires. I'm not sure.

2000 Grand Prix Electrochromic Mirror Wiring Diagram

Here is a before picture of the original mirror. Nothing special, just a mirror.

As you can see from this picture, you need a torx to remove the old mirror. Pretty simple. Just remove it now to get it out of the way. The metal tab affixed to the windshield from the standard mirror is the same as the one needed for the replacement mirror, so no need to remove and replace it.

First step is to take out the MAP Lights/overhead storage console (or sunroof controls depending on if you have a sunroof or not). This is pretty easy, just insert a flat blade screwdriver and pry the tabs inward and pull the console down. As you can see, its held in by a couple plastic tabs, Just be gentle.

Once the Map Light console is out, just unplug the whole unit and set it aside. Here is a picture with it removed.

Here is where I was suprized. I started this project with the mentality that I would have to run every single wire. By some stroke of luck, after I got the Map Light Console out, I dug around and found a spair wire harness and plug coiled up there. (possibly for a sunroof). None the less, it was there, and after some simple checks with my multimeter, I found all three wires I needed. In Fact, there were 5 wires on the plug, Black, Brown, Yellow, Green, and Green with a black stripe. The Black, Green, and Yellow ones were the ones I needed, look at the wiring diagram (coincidence?).

(Look at that other Car in the Driveway! )

Next I put the new mirror up. It is hung differently than the old one. It does not use a screw. Instead it slides downward and sort of snaps in place, hard to describe. Once it was up, I came to the conclusion that there was not enough wire left attached to the mirror to reach to the auxilary harness. Plus I left a lot extra to account for mirror adjustment, so I soldered about 6 more inches of wire onto the existing wires and used shrink tubing. Then if you look, there is already a slit in the headliner for room to fish the wires through.

Next to splice the wires together, I decided to slice some of their casing off, wrap the new wires around, apply flux, and solder. Then I taped them in multiple layers of high quality 3m electrical tape. You can do this step however you want. You can use those 3m quick connect splice connectors, or you can cut the existing wires and use butt connectors. It is up to you. I like to solder just because I think its the most reliable. Here are some pictures.

After they are all soldered together.

All Taped Up and Zip Tied all nice and neat.

Final Assembly, Placing the Map Light Console Back in.

Final Finished Product.

Not Bad, It didnt take long. The worst part was soldering becuase it is still a little cold outside, and the cold temps made the molton solder dry solidify very rapidly.

Now we just need to wait for dark to make sure the used mirror works. The green light is on, but if for some reason it doesnt work, we'll just pick up another from a 2000 GTP and put it in there. It will be an easy swap since the wiring is already there.

Good Luck Everyone!

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
kozmosis
AF Newbie

Re: 1997-2003 Grand Prix Standard to Auto-Dim Mirror Conversion

I am looking to go from the Auto-Dim mirror to a standard mirror because my mirrror looks like fog now. But as you pointed out the way the mirror connects is totally diffferent than the standard mirror. Would appreciate any advice since I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new mirror.
kozmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
tblake
In God We Trust

A standard manual-dim mirror will slide right on the same connector of tha auto-dimm mirror. Only difference is it is held in place by a small screw.

I think we've still got our standard manual mirror laying around. I'll ask the boss how much she wants for it if you are interested. Its in perfect shape.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
kozmosis
AF Newbie

If the mirror is still around, what are you asking including shipping to 17110. thanks p.s. do you know why mirror went from clear to a foggy look?
kozmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
tblake
In God We Trust

I will ask her. Are you sure you don't want to replace it with another auto dim one? I found this one from a guy parting out a GTP he sold it to me to 20.00. It workes better than the one in my GTP (which is starting to discolor around the edges). I am not sure why they discolor. Maybe age, temperature extremes, etc....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance