Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Prideless
AF Newbie

Car Hydrolocked I think HELP

I didnt know where to put this thread, I think this was the closest relevant area I could find. Heres my problem I went through a big puddle it chuggled for a second when going through then I parked on the sidewalk because I was waiting for someone, the car was working just fine, car was still on when parked for about 20mins /w heater then all of a sudden it chugged again so I pulled to the parking lot and turned off the car. Then I tried to turn it on, it turns on but the engine, looking at the rpm is slowing goes lower n lower n then turns off. I had a similar incident happen before all I did was wait 5 hours n it worked as if nothing happened. Last time I went though a puddle it immediately the car immediately turned off. 5 hours later it worked again. This there was way to fix this problem? Can this engine be saved? it still turns on I hope thats a good sign. Thanks. The Car does have a cold air intake. its a sponge type filter.
Prideless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Car Hydrolocked I think HELP

Thats not hydro lock. Hydrolock is there the engine sucks up more water than can be compressed by the piston. A hydrolocked engine stops dead. Even the starter motor cannot get the engine to move.

Your car may likely have water or moisture shorting out the ignition system. After the car sits long enough for everything to dry off, it will run normally, so long as you have not killed the battery cranking it. If you have a jump-start will get you going.

What kind of car is it? Many cars, especially older ones have spark plug wires, and distributors that can be sensitive to moisture, especially if the parts get old.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Prideless
AF Newbie

Re: Car Hydrolocked I think HELP

I have a Nissan Sentra 2002 SE-R. Thanks for the help I feel a little bit relieved. Hopefully. How many days do you think it would take to dry? Also I tried starting it today n it sounds different then yesterday the ignition sounds wet or something as it turns on. and it DOES turn on but slowly rpm goes down n turns off in like 5 seconds from when i started it.
Prideless is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars