Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
cleis2
AF Newbie

Concerns in Automotive Industry

What concerns do most employers have about the employees they hire?
cleis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Concerns in Automotive Industry

Some of the concerns I have had in the past concerning the employees we hire are proper training, reliability, and work ethic. One of my main "beefs" with people that get hired are their work ethic. You wouldn't believe how many people we get that try to do as little work as possible to collect a paycheck. Being late for work, trying to get out of work by calling in sick constantly, or other excuses for missing work, or trying to get extra vacation days early before their probationary period is over. The main thing I hate is you hire someone, go through and spend all that time and money to rain them in their position, only to have them turn around and quit shortly after their training is done, or take actions which force you to fire them. It just seems as time goes on each generation has less of a work ethic as the previous generation has.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
vettegirl84
AF Newbie

How would you know from an application that a potential employee has a good work ethic, say, if he/she wont even be considered because of lack of experience? I assume both are perferred but say a candidate had the former and not the latter, how are they to sell themselves to get the job?
vettegirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl84
How would you know from an application that a potential employee has a good work ethic, say, if he/she wont even be considered because of lack of experience? I assume both are perferred but say a candidate had the former and not the latter, how are they to sell themselves to get the job?
You cant. Basically. I didn't say you could tell from an application if a potential employee has a good work ethic. It's something you have to take a risk by hiring them and then find out. Unfortuneatly, it seems as the years go on, more employees seem to lack the work ethic of their parents and grandparents.
There are some signs however in the interview process that might signal that a potential employee may not have a good work ethic. If the first few questions from them in the interview are to the tune of, "How much do I get paid, how much vacation time do I get,what benefits do you have, or how many sickdays do you offer?" instead of what type of work do you do, questions about equipment , training, workspace. That can tell just how interested they are in the job rather than money or time off.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 02-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
CarBeater
AF Newbie

Here is an article about what employers want.
CarBeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Good article. That sums it up for a lot of employers.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 03-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

I would like to reinforce what 97 ventureowner stated. I have discussed this issue with many body shop and related business managers and owners. Work ethics, able to show up on time everyday, and attitude are always first on the list. They say they can work with lack of skills in a new employee, if they have the right attitude. However, it does not matter how much they know or how talented they are; if they don't show up to work.... So I agree this is what will set you apart from the other employees out there.

Vettegirl84, there are no absolute answers to know if the employer will know if you have good work ethics or not. It's the gut feeling (impression) you give them. Some time they are wrong, but people are not that hard to read. For instance, you don't look at a pecan tree and expect to see a apple hanging....people are the same way. You can usally tell what kind of fruit they produce by interviewing them. If you want to impress your employer on an interview I suggest reading a book on interviewing skills and preparing by having some of the answers to questions that may be asked. If your honest and sincere it will show through.
LearnAutoBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
bdyman
AF Newbie

Hello everyone, Being a bodyman in wisconsin for 28 years now im not to suprised by what im seeing as far as qualified techs not showing up for job openings anymore,what with the industry being controled so heavy by the insurance industry. Trust me, what these kids are hearing from older techs about how it used to be and how it is now ,,i cant blame them for not wanting to work in the buisness, Insurance companys dont get it,,cars now a days are harder to work on ,you need more training and insurance companys just dont understand that, they think any tom, dick and harry can fix a collision damaged vehicle. Man , I used to make a very good weekly pay repairing three to four vehicles a week,, now it takes me six to seven to take home the same? WHY? because the repair times have gone way down and the crp's are doing nothing but letting the owners make more ,not the techs.
I love this industry and it kills me to see the insurance companys tell the shops how to run thier buisnesses and yes that is whats happening. Im telling ya if things dont change you owners aint gonna have no one worth a damn working for you but some illegal allien who dont speak a speck of english.. but dont mind taking home peanuts for a paycheck!!
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network