Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
SD F1
AF Regular

Questions about the 4.6HSE

Hello Range Rover fans!

I am new to this auto group and have a couple of questions regarding the 4.6 HSE.

I am considering purchasing a 1999 with 60k miles. Can anyone tell me the maintenance issues regarding these vehicles. If you own one are you happy with the performance etc.

Thanks
SD F1
SD F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
geaton
AF Newbie

1999 Range Rover problems

Hi. I saw your question and just had to give you an honest answer. First of all, if you can buy the car with some kind of warranty- it will be well worth it. I purchased my 1999 4.6 rover 10,000 miles ago and have had numerous problems. When it's tuned up and running good- it is a very nice car to drive and can climb over rocks with ease however in the last year I have had antifreeze leaks from the head gasket and heater core. These are two areas prone to have problems. The heater core is a major pain for the mechanic to fix (access) and for the head gasket... you should just have it fixed and throw in a complete valve job while it's open. Next is the air suspension. Great and real fancy, but also unpredictable. If it gets "locked" in the lowered position- you might have to pay for a new air bag (should be around $100.) or if the problem is in the "block" where the air is compressed- that will cost you literally thousands of dollars to replace (the most popular "fix" for the air suspension is a conversion kit that will replace the "moody" air suspension. The last thing (what my car is in the shop for now) is the poor design of the transfer case "spine" (I think that's what it's called). This is prone to strip in this model and will cost $800. in parts alone. This car may be a labor of love... I think still worth it if you keep it maintained. Good luck.
Gary
geaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
roverballerina
AF Newbie

Re: Questions about the 4.6HSE

Hi, I just got a 1999 4.6 hse for Christmas and in the 8 months ive had the car, ive already had to replace the air suspension, which was a very expensive repair. My car had 75k miles and if I were you, I would check with the person you are buying the car from, whether or not the air suspension has been replaced, as this seems to be a VERY common problem with these cars. Everyone I have talked to that has these cars has had to replace their air suspension (also know as EAS) around 50-100k miles. If you do buy the car, and the air suspension does fail, I would recommend not driving the car any further, as driving will further damage it, leading to more costly repairs, although it says not to exceed 35mph. Mine failed on the freeway so I had to have it towed. Although I just spent this message telling you about the problems I have experienced with mine, I would like to encourage you to buy the car if you are still considering it as I enjoy my car, and I love it. It is a great car that is very safe and sturdy. With regular maintenace these cars can last forever, as my dad has a 1990 Range Rover County that has 225k miles and is still running strong. Good luck with your decision!
roverballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
taxman9
AF Regular

Re: Questions about the 4.6HSE

Hello,
I too am looking to buy a 1996-2000 4.6 HSE as well. I love the way these vehicles look and the toughness of them, definitely a supreme machine. I am just starting look and price a number of these to find something in the next couple of months or so, probably 90, 000 to 100,000 miles on it. I have owned Grand Cherokees for the last 5-6 years and love them but it's time to move up to the RR. I've read though a number of posts here to get a general idea of things to look for when searching for a used Range Rover. As of now it seems that the EAS system is the number one problem, so thats something I will definitely check into when shopping. Seemed like the head gasket might be another frequent problem too? I read that the check engine light is usually always on, any truth to that? What are some of the other major areas of concern that I should focus on? What are the positives and negatives of the 4.6 HSE vs the 4.0 SE??? Is there a specific year that has been the best? The worst? Overall if you were going to buy a second RR what would you focus on?

I really appreciate any feedback or comments you could provide, a little bit of knowledge and help goes along way when buying a vehicle. THANKS!!
taxman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque