Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Dave_R
AF Newbie

1999 astro very soft to no brakes

1999 astro equipped with anti-lock brakes, NO Hydro-boost.

Up until last week the brakes worked very well.
A few days ago the pedal started to feel "weird", getting a spongy feeling before I feel the brakes actually work (felt like only the fronts were working). The pedal travelled more than usual toward the floor, but they still worked.
This morning it is icy, so the anti-lock system activated when I stopped at the end of my driveway. When I next applied the brakes in the sub-division, the pedal went to the floor, and I had to give it a "pump" before I had any braking, and the engagement happens when the pedal is almost right at the floor.
I drove it to work, and I had to pump the pedal at least once every time to get any brakes. Each time the BRAKE light would illuminate, and go off when I released the pedal.
I checked the fluid, and it is full.
When I do have brakes (near the floor), it seems like they grab hard, almost like only the fronts are working.

Any ideas where to start?
(I did have to replace a rusted through right-front brake line two years ago, and all brake lines look very rusty).
I don't seem to be loosing fluid anywhere I can tell.

Thanks for your help!
Dave_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1999 astro very soft to no brakes

Could be master cylinder time. It may be by-passing and the proportioning valve shifted. Need to check closely for leaks at all wheels,lines,master cyl,etc. Try to bleed them in sequence.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Dave_R
AF Newbie

Thanks, I will look at that first. I was suspecting the master cylinder, but never had one that acted like this before. I will update my progress in about a week.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Dave_R
AF Newbie

So, after being able to really look at this, I found it!
(It's embarrassing that I even posted this)

I lifted the front up and removed the two front wheels. As I had my daughter push on the brakes and hold them down while I looked along the brake lines, I saw it---- a very small drip by the front left (drivers side) metal brake line connector - where the metal brake line is attached to the flexible line behind the bulkhead bracket.

I put a wrench on the connector, and when I turned it to loosen, the line just disintegrated by the fitting.

So I replaced the metal line from the ABS block to the wheel, bled it, and all is well!!!

should have known, as I replaced the other side brake line about two years ago, but at that time, I had no brakes whatsoever, and the fluid dripped constantly on the ground until the reservoir was empty.

This time, there was no tell-tale puddle and the reservoir did not empty on it's own.

So, slightly different symptoms, but same issue.

Live and learn.....

Thanks for your help!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies