Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunbird/J2000/2000 Sunbird
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
rcknfrd
AF Newbie

fuel pressure regulator

My car started to die on the way home from work, but ran long enough to get me home. Now it won't start. Changed fuel filter and tested fuel pressure which was 10 psi after a while of trying. Now car will start sometimes but won't stay running under load. I could not locate the pressure regulator to test it, where is it? I have ordered a fuel pump as it was noisy and did not sound normal but would like to know where the regulator is?
rcknfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: fuel pressure regulator

Can you please post the engine size and year since that will determine the location of the fuel pressure regulator in some cases. Also make sure you change the fuel filter as it may be blocked and causing the problems you are experiencing and don't discount the fuel pump going bad.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
rcknfrd
AF Newbie

I can't believe I never put the engine size in, too tired I guess. Engine is 3.1 v6, year is 91. I have change the fuel filter and made sure it was installed the right way. No better. I just got the pump today, I will install it tomorrow. Still curious where the regulator is so I can check it also. 270K on the car so I figured it is probably due for a pump anyway.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
rcknfrd
AF Newbie

Installed the new pump, fuel pressure of 45 psi. Car runs fine. 3000km's later no new issues. Never did locate the regulator though. Where is it located?

thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
sixpackin03
AF Newbie

Post Re: fuel pressure regulator

i was curious. I have a 1993 Sunbird LE 2.0L 4 cyl myself, and am dealing with the same problem with the car not starting at all. It completely died on the highway with no warning about a month ago. It will crank all day but never turn over. i have replaced the ignition coil assembly and no change. i have an idea it might be the fuel pump now, but i can still hear it power up when i turn the key to one click before start.

My question to you was, did you still hear the fuel pump power up before you replaced it?
sixpackin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
rcknfrd
AF Newbie

Yes, I could still hear the fuel pump come on. The new one was a little less noisy. Are you able to borrow a fuel pressure tester and test it at the fuel rail on the intake manifold. Really easy to do. Not sure where you are from but in Canada you can borrow tools at Canadian Tire, may be the same at parts suppliers in the U.S.?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
sixpackin03
AF Newbie

Yes, i didn't think to look there (tool rental). thank you for the answer, it really gives me hope now.
sixpackin03 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Sunbird/J2000/2000 Sunbird