Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
hammer2
AF Newbie

97 Taurus no turn signals.

Was driving behind a farm tractor and went to put on hazard lights and didn't come on. Nothing in dash and no noise. Shut them off. When tried to put turn signal on, they didn't work. Checked fuses and there was one labeled turn signal and one labeled hazard-both tested fine. Pulled flasher and trying to test, but when trying to see which lead of the 3 is hot, found none of them are? I don't really understand how 3 pole flasher works but from my reading I would think one wire should be hot at all times? Or at least one has to be hot when put a signal on? But nothing is hot.

The wipers and washer work fine. Still could be multifunction switch? But signals worked fine till I tried to put on flasher, now they don't work? Perhaps wires loose near hazard switch?
hammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 97 Taurus no turn signals.

On your '97, the black wire at the flasher is Ground. The Red/White wire to the flasher should be hot with the engine in Run. This wire gets power through fuse 15 (10 amp) in the Instrument Panel fuse panel.

When the turn signals or hazard lights are switched on, the Red/White wire to the flasher gets constant power through fuse 29 (15 amp) in the Instrument Panel fuse panel.

Of course all of the above assumes a properly working Multi-Function Switch (MFS). The switched and constant power are routed through the MFS to the flasher. From my quick review of the diagram this morning, there is redundancy in the Multi-Function Switch (MFS) for the power to the turn signal switch components, so it seems unlikely that both turn signal switches within the MFS would fail, but more likely the power switches would be the issue.

If you send me a Private Message with the request (include year and model of vehicle) along with an e-mail address for you, I can send you the information on the turn/hazard light diagram as well as the out-of-circuit test for the MFS.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
hammer2
AF Newbie

thanks. PM sent. I don't have car right now to test to see if wires hot or start work on getting to MFS. I do have flasher. Any way to bench test it?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

I haven't actually tried this so I cannot say it will work, but based on the wiring diagram, what I suspect is that if you connect the terminal for the black wire to ground and the terminal for the Red/White wire to constant power, you should get a pulsed output on the Light Blue terminal.

-Rod
Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer2 View Post
PM sent.
The files should be in your inbox.

-Rod
Old 11-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
hammer2
AF Newbie

got diagrams. thanks. I was just about to remove ignition switch to start process of removing multifunction switch. I first testing ground wire-good. checked for power on both sides of hazard and turn fuses-good. put flasher back in. nothing. kept pushing hazard on and off and heard click and looked and right turn indicator lamp flasher-the turn signal was up for right turn. pushed down and left turn indicator came on. shut it off and then put hazard on-nothing. then turn signals didn't work again. kept pushing hazard up and down and eventually turn signals worked again. Remember, this all started when I tried to put on hazard lights. So looking at a video, the hazard lights are part the the MFS. In the testing procedure, it says the the hazard switch is "on" when button depressed and "off" when in full out position. So my turn signals only will work when button depressed-and required playing with it in and and several times to get them to work at all. And hazards won't work at all. I think the button was depressed initally before this all started-which would mean this way for years? Can someone verify that the hazard on position is depressed and off is out all the way? I can live with no hazard lights.

addendum:So I realized my 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra may have same multifunction switch. I checked it and it is similar but not identical. Also checked you tube for video and it also has hazard on the MFS like the Taurus. On Mustang, the hazard button down is "off" and up all the way is hazard on-which is what I suspected. Page 3 of MFS testing must be wrong?

Last edited by hammer2; 11-16-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

I checked the owner's manual and don't find anything in there that describes whether up is Hazard On or Off. That's odd. Anyway, per the wiring diagram, you can confirm which is what with a multimeter and checking for continuity between pin 11 of the MFS and pins 1 and 4. If you have continuity between pin 11 and pin 1 you are in the Hazard Off position. If you have continuity between pin 11 and pin 4, that is the Hazard On position. Since you have been able to get turn signals to come on in at least one of the positions, you should have continuity at least in one of the switch positions.

Back when I had my 1998 Taurus SHO I encountered turn signals not working one morning. I wanted to see if any of the bulbs were working so I attempted to turn the hazards on, but they didn't work either. So I turned the hazards back off and magically my turn signals worked again. I grabbed my can of Caig DeOxit and sprayed some down the side of the hazard button and cycled it a few times. The turn signals and hazard lights began to both work properly again and continued to at least up to the point I sold the car.

-Rod
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
hammer2 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
hammer2
AF Newbie

Rod,

I just posted addendum to my previous message. Yes, I have heard de-oxit is good stuff. Haven't seen it around. Guess have to get it from online.

thanks for your help
Old 11-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
shorod
SHO No Mo

It is possible that the button depressed comment is wrong. I'm in the same boat as you, I thought when I turned the hazards on the button popped up (making it more obvious they were on) but it's been so many years since I had that car, I can no longer trust my memory.

-Rod
Old 12-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
songkrai
AF Newbie

Where is the multifunction switch?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
hammer2
AF Newbie

It is the turn signal stalk and hazard switch. The stalk controls turn signals, washer, wipers. The plastic must be removed to access it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon