Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #16
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Re: My first transmission rebuild :)

Took a 1100 mile trip this weekend. Total mileage on the rebuild is 1300. No problems so far. The oil consumption seems to be close to zero. Transmission shifts OK, except the long standing TCC cycling when the A/C is on. This may be a normal function of the PCM.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I now have 2000 miles. It is working very well.

I need to tighten one of the steering knuckle pinch bolts, the ABS light is on, and I need that cooling fan dropping resistor (not sold by Ford any more) that is needed to run the A/C in city traffic.

Anyone know where to get the resistor?

I wonder if the TCC cycling is a design issue, or some other PCM/sensor problem. It did the same on the original transmission.

Last edited by tomj76; 07-23-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I now have exceeded 12,000 miles on the rebuilt engine and transmission! I'm very happy with the results.

I've since learned that the TCC cycling is a normal part of operation. The PCM is doing this each time the A/C clutch engages. It even does it when the A/C compressor clutch connector is unplugged.

I still need the A/C dropping resistor.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #19
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Update:
Vehicle is now at 380,000 mi, 66,000 mi since the rebuilds. I've seen a few problems:
1) Transmission started to throw a code P0741 (TCC stuck off) on long trips.
2) Last summer the main seal "fell out" of the housing. I was away from home so I had to take it to a shop for repair. They said that it's a good idea to use Loctite to hold in the seal. I remember thinking about adding a few #6 screws around the main seal to make sure it stayed in place, but I didn't want to risk damage to the housing. Since they had the unit out and I was occasionally getting code P0741, I decided to replace the torque converter at the same time. It didn't stop the P0741 codes. So that problem is still unresolved.
3) I had to replace one of the fuel injectors last month... it failed open circuit. I reused the originals for the rebuild. Otherwise the engine still works well, although one of the lifters taps quite a bit when it is cold (I didn't replace the lifters in the rebuild, only disassembled and cleaned them).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomj76 For This Useful Post:
phil-l (04-16-2018), scubacat (04-16-2018)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar