Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #1
Kendallh
AF Newbie

2000 grand am gt instrument cluster and obd2 port not working

Hello i have a 2000 grand am gt and the instrument cluster gauges not working. The lights are working dash lights just not the gauges fuel speed rpm temp are not working and also the obd2 port is not working. The cluster is getting power and the gauges get power but its like its no signal or reading to them. They have worked before but fluctuate faster speed now not working at all. When i turn the car on the gauges go all the way to the mac then come back down them act like its getting no signal or reading. And the obd2 port is not reading but getting power. And the radio stays or all the time even when keys are not in the car. Also the wiper blades can turn on even without the keys in the car. And sometimes the lights can come on when in the off position. Please help
Kendallh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 2000 grand am gt instrument cluster and obd2 port not working

This sounds like multiple problems, possibly including the ignition switch and the CAN data network.

Is there a message display in your cluster? If so, does it operate correctly when the engine is running? For example, when you open a door the "Door Ajar" message should appear.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Kendallh
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
This sounds like multiple problems, possibly including the ignition switch and the CAN data network.

Is there a message display in your cluster? If so, does it operate correctly when the engine is running? For example, when you open a door the "Door Ajar" message should appear.
No it does not say that. I never saw that on dash. I'm just trying to get the odb2 sensor to work so I can get my emissions. But it's not working and the dash gauges don't work. What do you suggest I do
Kendallh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

When you say the OBD II port is not working, how was this determined?

I assume the vehicle starts and runs ok?

I assume you have BAT voltage to pin 16, and grounds at pins 4 and 5.....

What I would do is attach a voltmeter to to pin 2, and observe the voltage......does it stay low or does it stay high? It should not read 12 volts.....

Normally, with the key off, engine off......you should read 5-7 volts.......so, if in the car, with the door shut, no key in the ignition, and your interior light have timed out and shut off, you should be getting a voltage of 5-7 volts....now turn the key on......the voltage should now change, as the car starts communicating........

If your initial voltage is zero, and you turn the key on and it stays at zero, then the data line is shorted to ground, or a module is shorted to ground......

If you are constantly reading 12 volts, something is shorted to Battery voltage......

What you have to do, basically, is with the key off......disconnect a module..... then turn the key on, to see if you get the proper reading on PIN #2.....if you don't, turn the key to off, reconnect the module, and disconnect another one, and then turn the key to on, and check the voltage at PIN #2.....and so on.....

You have several modules in the vehicle.....the BCM, the ABS, the SDM, the IPC, and the PCM......So by disconnecting one module at a time, with the key off, you can find out if it is a module that is the problem......however, if the voltage never changes at pin #2, then it is not a module, it is the Class II data line itself......and that will take some searching to find the problem.....

One other thing, simple scan tools/code readers only read PCM data, they don't read data from ABS, BCM, IPC, or SDM modules.......something like a TECH II scan tool makes it much easier to diagnose this situation.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cluster , instrument , obd2 , port
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM