Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
annemarie51101
AF Newbie

1986 Ford E150 - 302

We've been having trouble with our van.Won't start. Have replaced the solenoid, ignition module, and now the fuel pump relay because after replacing the solenoid, the fuel pump wouldn't kick on. Someone suggested checking the inertia switch. We couldn't find it and after talking to someone else, they said they don't think this year van even has one. Does anyone know if that is true or not. We need help desperately - this is a work van and hasn't run for over a week. It's costing us money! Thanks!
annemarie51101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
albischof
AF Newbie

Re: 1986 Ford E150 - 302

I'm havin the same problem with my e350 uhaul that i use for a work truck and am loosin bucks too..... I am searching everywhere for this reset button/switch to see if it helps. If you have any luck gettin an answer here or found it somewhere else, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
albischof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by albischof View Post
I'm havin the same problem with my e350 uhaul that i use for a work truck and am loosin bucks too..... I am searching everywhere for this reset button/switch to see if it helps. If you have any luck gettin an answer here or found it somewhere else, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Did you check your high pressure fuel pump under the driver seat mounted on the frame? some times it fails
Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Use a 12 volt test light or logic probe these external pumps have push on leads for the pump normally. You should have 12 volt on one side and ground on the other side.
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_3031.htm
http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_3023.htm
These are various type of testers. One does both on the other one hook up to positive and touch the ground.
A Haynes manual should show location of inertia switch. Usually back of a side brace behind an opening.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
albischof
AF Newbie

the pump is running, i checked that, but i'm still not getting any pressure to the fuel rail. Some one told me that the inertia switch can go bad and cause low power to the pump. I don't have a volt meter, so until I can get one to check the voltage, I just wanted to know where this switch is at so I can fix or replace it if necessary, looked all over for it, but couldn't find it. Don't think it's the pressure reg either cause it has no signs of leaking?? still working it out. That inertia switch has me baffled did my year vehicle even have one? its an 89 460.
albischof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

If the pump is running pull the inlet hose and put a can under it hold it and have somebody else try to start the gas should run out if it doesn't their is a primer pump in the fuel tank.
I think this year system has a pressure regulator on the fuel rail pull the vacuum hose and if fuel is observed replace the regulator.
You can use a pair of vise grips and pinch off the return hose back by the fuel tank. If it runs a lot better replace.
The inertia switch shuts off power doesn't lower voltage.
I would verify you have spark hold the plug against the motor to make sure it fires.
These vehicles will start with starting fluid if the pump is bad spray some in the air inlet.

Last edited by rhandwor; 05-28-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
If the pump is running pull the inlet hose and put a can under it hold it and have somebody else try to start the gas should run out if it doesn't their is a primer pump in the fuel tank.
I think this year system has a pressure regulator on the fuel rail pull the vacuum hose and if fuel is observed replace the regulator.
You can use a pair of vise grips and pinch off the return hose back by the fuel tank. If it runs a lot better replace.
The inertia switch shuts off power doesn't lower voltage.
I would verify you have spark hold the plug against the motor to make sure it fires.
These vehicles will start with starting fluid if the pump is bad spray some in the air inlet.
The switch is probaly located right side passenger just ahead of right knees when sittiing. between the big black plastic box and the inside wing panel, unplug the switch and connect the 2 wires togheter and start the van if it starts then the switch is bad if not its good. Eveytime I worked on the fuel system I unplug it and staret the van untill it dies it relieves the pression. hope it help
Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
G0ldRush
AF Newbie

This is the inertia switch for 1986 van
Old 06-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
TruthWFree
AF Newbie

I cannot keep my 1986 302 fuel injection engine running. I can start it by pouring fuel down the air hose and then quickly replacing the air hose...then the engine will start but will not keep running after primer fuel is burned). I pulled the gas line going to the engine from the fuel pump and there is gas there but not under much pressure...it just runs out. I had a rodent eat the wiring on the air charge sensor and I replaced the sensor...without that sensor the engine would not start at all. I thought possibly the rodent cut the power to the fuel pump but can't find any chewed wires. I did test continuity through the inertia switch and it appear to be closed. I believe the lack of fuel started at the same time that the rodent ate the air charge wiring. Before the rodent damage, I did have problems with the engine shutting down when it got hot. I tried to separate the connection to the fuel rail to see if the fuel was getting to the injectors but could not separate the fitting so I do not know if it is getting to the fuel rail (it should be since there is fuel on the engine side of the fuel filter). Am wondering about the fuel pressure regulator or possibly the ECM being faulty (no signals to the injectors). I have done a "Key Off" check and all appears okay. Cannot run "Key On" check since I cannot get the engine running to do so. Any ideas?
TruthWFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #10
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Check the fuel pump relay for pulse I think its green color and be located along the side of the fender on a pickup. Their should be a ground wire beside the computer make sure it's tight. Check small ground wire next to large wire. Listen to make sure fuel pump is running. Auto Zone or Advanced should have fuel pump pressure testers.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Econoline