Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
obhans
AF Newbie

97 LTC, clicking noise behind dash

1997 LTC, Signature Series. After the car is started there is a clicking sound coming from behind the center of the dash board, it tends to be intermittent. Changing the setting on either the air condition, heat, fan setting does not change the tempo or stop the clicking. Recently on two occasions, A/C on while clicking noise is occurring the heat came on. In order to return to A/C, turn of climate control system and turn A/C back on.I hope someone can help me solve this problem.
obhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Re: 97 LTC, clicking noise behind dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by obhans
...there is a clicking sound coming from behind the center of the dash board........
In order to return to A/C, turn of climate control system and turn A/C back on...

Sounds like the blend door actuator (behind & above the glovebox) is beginning to fail. The clicking (inside the actuator) will eventually lead to a broken actuator, then the blend door will flap around (bang, bang, bang...) making a door slamming sound.

Replacing this little engineering gem is a nightmare therefore, labor expensive. The little actuator is relatively cheap.

Do some searches on Town Car, Blend Door, Actuator for more information. Theres several posts here, and elsewhere.

Also, there many writeups on doing the job yourself, but it is labor intensive, easier done with two people, and requires dash panels removal to gain access to the actuator.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
ElRipper
AF Newbie

Arrow blender acuator -Towncar !

I have the same problem for a long time. The clicking and knocking same began, then I lost any cool air coming through from AC and traced it to a door failing to operate controlled by the acueator. So i finally found some instructions to pull the Dash and save $ 500 labor. I pulled the dash, dropping the Steering column and all-not bad w/ instructions.

I changed the acuetor ($72), put the dash back together and still only Hot Air is blowing out. The door is working. Im dropping off the TCar today to have them check the 134a AC gas. Id be surprised if it is low on gas b/c the AC was working prior to the knocking noise. Its been over a year since it malfunctioned. Things i learned: There is a vent trap door behind the glove box, but I dont think this is the one that is causing the problem. Most analytic trouble shooting point towards the blender door acueator operating a door located directly behind the middle of the dash (clicking noise),. U can actually see this door operating by peering through two sets (thru the right side of the radio) vents way back in there. Anyway, i still have plenty of hot air blowing, took some extra pictures and have a website to get instructions to pulling the dash if anyone needs them.
...........HELP--IDEAS--Still "No Cold AC air " !?????
ElRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Re: blender acuator -Towncar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRipper
..took some extra pictures and have a website to get instructions to pulling the dash if anyone needs them....
That's good information ElRipper....
I'd be nice if you did post a link to your web site..

BTW

The blend door actuator is behind/above the glove box, not in the center of the dash. You can't see it operating thru the vents as it sits atop the Air Plenum Chamber. This one actually blends hot/cool air so it may be the one you still need to fix. The blend door in the center directs floorvent/dashvent air flow.

Here's one writeup from Sweden that helps a bit:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article20.html
Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
ElRipper
AF Newbie

Re: Re: blender acuator -Towncar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towncar
That's good information ElRipper....
I'd be nice if you did post a link to your web site..

BTW

The blend door actuator is behind/above the glove box, not in the center of the dash. You can't see it operating thru the vents as it sits atop the Air Plenum Chamber. This one actually blends hot/cool air so it may be the one you still need to fix. The blend door in the center directs floorvent/dashvent air flow.

Here's one writeup from Sweden that helps a bit:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article20.html
Ur right. Why didnt i know that before i pulled the dash ??? I replaced the blender acuator, the knocking went away, there is gas in the system and the low pressure switch is malfunctioning as the compressor doesnt kick on very easily. Now i went back and dropped the glove box and tried to remove the actuator on this side. A hah, found two tiny screws going in vertically holding this bracket on the box. So Im gonna drop the dash again to get to this dude. Does it link to a vent arm behind it ? does it come of easy after removing the top screws ?

Ill send addy to the dash bolts later.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:50 AM   #6
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: blender acuator -Towncar !

Quote:
....Does it link to a vent arm behind it ? does it come of easy after removing the top screws ?
I've heard the top/forwardmost screw (on the firewall side) is nearly impossible to get a tool on. One guy describes breaking the old unit off, cutting a slot in the mount hole of the new unit, pre-tightening the screw, and forcing the new unit under the pre-tigtened screw. Another guy mentions he was able to finess a tool in there to tighten the screw.

I havn't had the pleasure of doing this job yet myself, but I've read just about everything printed on the subject 'cause mine's going to break too.

Anyway, I have some pages from the Service Manual posted on the www with diagrams and part numbers, and I'll also post links to some very good references and pictures.

On my webpage look for the pdf links to "1996 AC Blend Door...".

Here's some others:
(not lincoln specific, great shots)
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=31156

and one tip:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/cgi-bi...c&f=3&t=004625
Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
ElRipper
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: blender acuator -Towncar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towncar
I've heard the top/forwardmost screw (on the firewall side) is nearly impossible to get a tool on. One guy describes breaking the old unit off, cutting a slot in the mount hole of the new unit, pre-tightening the screw, and forcing the new unit under the pre-tigtened screw. Another guy mentions he was able to finess a tool in there to tighten the screw.

I havn't had the pleasure of doing this job yet myself, but I've read just about everything printed on the subject 'cause mine's going to break too.

Anyway, I have some pages from the Service Manual posted on the www with diagrams and part numbers, and I'll also post links to some very good references and pictures.

On my webpage look for the pdf links to "1996 AC Blend Door...".

Here's some others:
(not lincoln specific, great shots)
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=31156

and one tip:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/cgi-bi...c&f=3&t=004625
Where am i suppose to write this reply ????????? anyway i went to the Ford House, and according to their schematic there is only ONE acuator, the one i did replace (the blender), they say is the temp control, behind the glove box. EEDNT ! Wrong. This part they sold me, and i changed the one in the middle. It can only go in one place. So i am describing the other one, on the plenum, they say there is no such bird. Sooo I gotta pull this next one out to get a part #. But what if its the wrong part. It looks like an acuator, has TWO pin connections instead of one, i see it is mounted to a steel bracket screwed into the Plenum. I will have to pull the dash to get it out. A set of small hands may be able to get it out w/o removing the dash. I know a guy who says he has. regardless, whats the deal FORD ???? How come this one is not on the schematic, Is this acuator mounted onthe plenum have a bar connection underneath it similar to the other. According to FORD, this one doesnt exist ????? ANYone have a part # ??????
Old 07-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: blender acuator -Towncar !

Quote:
...According to FORD, this one doesnt exist ????? ANYone have a part # ??????
Looks like there's some variations to the root part number *19E616*.
Google 19E616

Here's another possibility to consider:
Ford PN E3VY-19C734-A or YH-409 in Motorcraft

Mark VIII article on Preventing Actuator failure:
Reinforce with wire wrap and Epoxy

More:
More Mark VIII Info

Stab at the Part Number ?

Stab at the Part Number ?
Old 08-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Buzz Buzard
AF Newbie

Under drivers dash fuze box Unplug 15a Fuze # 1 turn on key see if clicking goes away Plug Fuze back in if clicking stops run self test If it comes back removed fuze and install a 5/8 shut off valve in the upper heater hose turn it off to have AC on for Heat not great but is a cheap fix. will work on 95 to 97 Lin TC
The System will work without this fuze is power for the Blend door only the blend door is spring loaded to the full heat pos. at least you wont have to hear that click clack cluck.
Buzzy
Buzz Buzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Buzz Buzard
AF Newbie

shut off the engine side (pressure) or upper on some town cars Heater Hose
Buzzy
Buzz Buzard is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car